Ack! Sony Vaio won't boot

justin_tx_16

when I turn on my Sony Vaio PCV-RX260DS (i think that is the right model) it starts up with the normal SONY picture, then it gives general info on the computer. That is normal. THIS part is'nt...

Next to pop up is a never ending stream of 01 01 01 01 01 01 01. It fills up the entire screen and adds 01 ever .5 seconds

I put in my WinXP (the real deal) Professional disk to reformat and... well it does not read the disk and start teh reformat. I hit F2 to get into the BIOS, look'n good, and the ATAPI Pioneer DVD is the first thing listed as a bootable drive.

What could be going on here?!

Well, once you put in the WINXP cd, it them changes the somp to boot from CD. XP automatically changes this so you don't have to use a boot disc. I assume you already knew that though. 2.gif

Otherwise... maybe try booting with a boot disc and telling it to reformat the old way. Did you add any new hardware recently? Maybe an odd IRQ issue... I dunno. Computers are strange. That is why I quit them and went to audio... only to find that audio can be just as complicated- espacially digital audio. Digital potentiometers... WOO. Wierdest stuff I ever heard of... but oddly intriguing. 9.gif

EDIT: Didn't want to make a new post... but I beat Ear by 1 second... LOL I am proud.

Justin,

Why did you buy a Sony PC? Dont you know better,at least get a Dell dude.

Good to see you have a legit Microsoft product. 2.gif

After a whole day in computers I dont feel like a tech anymore.Time to slack and relax

3.gif

Oh BTW does your DVD LED indicator at least light up?If not you may have a real problem,when specified as FIRST BOOT device the CD/DVD should scan the CD in the drive.

A very effective command to use if you want to whipe the drive is the KILLMBR,it erses the hard drive boot sector.Effective and quick,be sure you have no data of value.The data is on the drive but you will require a recovery utility to retrive the unsaved data.

After you insert the XP bootable CD and it must start,if not you may have a hardware problem.Check if your CD is not scratched.

won't do anything but 01 01 01 01 01 01 in a constant stream. nothing has changed,, it has always been trouble. i bought this computer like 2 years ago i think. i can't do any commands because i am never given a chance. it won't boot into windows or use the boot disk. i had an idea. put that hard drive (an IBM 40Gb... the one recalled i believe haha) into my new computer and reformat i from there, as in just format it, no windows installed. and then move it back to the sony and try to format.

yeah ears, all the lights light up, you can hear the disk spinning and see its data light flashing.

Justin, I have upmost respect for you, but know you have a Sony PC makes my ROTFLMAO. Just build your own or have a local PC shop do it for you, or:

My favorite: http://www.falcon-nw.com

2nd favorite: http://www.alienware.com

They can build you a REAL computer and back it up better than the big, arrogant computer companies will even even fathom to do. Check them out when you are going to buy a new computer. Especially look at these if you want a good deal: http://www.falcon-nw.com/talon.asp

Enjoy!

DUDES (hehe) this is an old computer! I have built and bought like 4 computers since. My new computer is >200Gb, PIV 3.06Ghz, 2GB Ram, 128MB 8x AGP video card... it is a kick *** computer. I just wanted to get this sony up and running again so that I could backup my new computer once and a while.

Justin-

I just replaced my hard drive last week. This the same drive that Dell replaced under warranty for me not two years ago. Oddly enough, it too is an IBM Deskstar drive (now handled by Hitachi). After talking to the kid that worked on it, he said that he's had 3 IBM HD's come in for replacements in the last two weeks in Dell Dimensions (what I have). I opened up teh old one and found what looks like someone took a Sharpie marker and put a couple small X's on one of the disks. Wierd....

Now that my machine is out of warranty I just put in a simple 40GB Western Digital and hope it lasts till I can buy the 03' Acura TL Type-S I've been salivating over at the dealer (White Diamond w/Parchment Interior). But that won't be able to call my garage home till (I thing) late September. Just the kind of bill I wanted to pay when trying to save up for a $30,000+ car!

----------------

On 2/25/2003 11:44:20 PM justin_tx_16 wrote:

DUDES (hehe) this is an old computer! I have built and bought like 4 computers since. My new computer is >200Gb, PIV 3.06Ghz, 2GB Ram, 128MB 8x AGP video card... it is a kick *** computer. I just wanted to get this sony up and running again so that I could backup my new computer once and a while.
----------------

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, sure...I believe you........................... 9.gif

I have a dell dimension with an IBM deskstar drive in it.

This computer is about 3 and a half years old and it seems to be doing just fine.

I've added more ram, a faster processor(pIII 500Mhz to pIII 750Mhz) and thats about it.

I have not once in the past three years reformatted my drive, and I have only defragged it about 5 times.

What can I say, It's been a good comp although not anywhere nearas fast as my dual amd 1.4Ghz I put together a year ago.

Peace, Josh

Justin

Was that Sony in the trunk of the A4 ?

AKA Try booting that machine with a Windows 98 Startup Disk. Enable CD ROM support If you are able then repartition and format before attempting to reload XP.

If you are able to reload XP don´t forget to have it activated.

Justin

Was that Sony in the trunk of the A4 ?

AKA Try booting that machine with a Windows 98 Startup Disk. Enable CD ROM support If you are able then repartition and format before attempting to reload XP.

If you are able to reload XP don´t forget to have it activated.

Justin,

head over to www.siliconrangers.com.. There are a lot of Intel guys that hang out there. It's a gaming forum for the game Tribes, but there are some very intellegent guys in there all day all the time. I am willing to bet that someoene there will be able to help you out.

Justin,

How is the p4 running? I slaved to make that for you.3.gif

Is anything new in the computer?

have you made any changes to the hardware.

Possible things

Loose memory module

fan to the processor is not working

EIDE bus problem, mother board

Loose cable

bios virus

modem, netowrk card or sound card problem

cd rom/dvd problem

HDD problem

have you tried removing everything and trying to boot.

if the problem goes away try adding the following back into the computer one at a time

HDD

dvd

sound and so on

Other than that salvage what you can and buy somthing other than sony, compaq, or HP pavillion

Scott

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=26531&

Not too shabby... oh wait, YEAH IT IS MUHAHAHAHAHHAHA hehe joking of course! The Sony is...

PIII 812Mhz

511 MB RAM (1mb is used with o/b sound via Yamaha)

120GB hard drive (IBM 40GB and Maxtor 80GB, tried switching them around, did not fix the boot problem)

SoundBlaster Live 5.1 MP3+ or GTXP 7.1

o/b (YUCk!) Intel Video card (32MB I think)

Did not change anything with this computer, added 256 MB ram and the hard drive and changed the sound card, and the cd/rw and dvd drives and the other ram chip and the modem and NIC and added USB 2.0... but other than that... LoL!!! This was a POS from the beginning. long story.