What is the sound difference between La Scala and Belle

m00n

Moon

I only use my subs for HT, Music is only 2 CH through the Khorns. But for subs, the SVS Dual Ultras is a great mix with Heritage. Horn loaded Heritage is very clean and accurate and detailed in the highs, mids, and upper bass. The SVS is a very natural sounding Extention to the low end bass and subsonics.

Rigma - Cool that you have both LAS and Belles, where are you located? Maybe you could provide an audition for curious minds? I agree and IMHO prefer the K400 midrange. We are most likely hearing and describing the same.

Noz - Next year moon will be posting how he loves his ALK upgrade, or how he injured himself dampening the horns. Or what gross food combinations he like to eat while listening to his Belles.1.gif1.gif

JM

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"No need for a sub unless your Las or Belles are in the theater or you like a little thumpty dump music."

Just to show there are different opinions and speakers are very subjective, I found the La Scalas to not have enough bass on kettle drums during a classical symphony nor on a standard kick drum heard during a test CD and then during standard rock like Pink Floyd.

The plus side was that the bass was very tight.

Now that I'm up to 400+ posts and have been doing a lot of listening to many different speakers I'm starting to be a little more opinionated...which are my opinions and not necessarily consistent with anyone elses....and of course subjet to change as my ears/tastes evolve.

----------------

On 3/5/2003 9:45:39 PM j-malotky wrote:

Noz - Next year moon will be posting how he loves his ALK upgrade, or how he injured himself dampening the horns. Or what gross food combinations he like to eat while listening to his Belles.
1.gif1.gif

JM

----------------

Well, I had the tape measure out tonight measuring distances and all that. :bigsmile:] Still not convienced yet though. Just for sh1ts and grins, can anyone give me any estimate on how much it would cost to ship a pair of belles from the east coast to the west coast?

Can you do ALK upgrades to belles?

hdbrbuilder -

Been to the river and done that - Our river was the Caddo outside of Arkedelphia (Arkansas' city of brotherly love?). Set up on the gravel bar with car 8 track wired to LaScala's, keg of cheap beer (usually Pabst) and several other entertaining activities. We would often, if Degray Damn was letting out water, ride those innertubes for about 8 miles. We would ride the Caddo until it met the Ouachita and follow the Ouachita River to the Highway 8 bridge coming into Arkadelphia. One inner tube always rigged for the keg...Those LaScala's belonged to friend and they took a beating over three years- beer spills, falls off the pickup, three paint jobs and general disrespect - and they still sounded great.

Now for the quiz (no prizes - unless we want to all chip in for Moon's heritage setup) - How do us Arkansans pronounce 'Ouachita'?

hwatkins,

I am an alumnus of Hindu High, myself...GO REDDIES! LOL! I used to wait til morning after a good thunderstorm in the Ouachita Mountains and head up to Caddo Gap on the upper Caddo River and have a big time floating it down to Glenwood in the old canoe! LOL! It was always exciting trying to negotiate the highwater ford when the water was swift...and there was one really hard to the left NARROW "Z" turn downstream from that concrete ford...LOL! I never dumped the canoe, but I sure as hell saw a number of others do it there! LOL!

Part Two of the Ouachita quiz: Name the oldest mountain range in North America...hint: it is also the ONLY mountain range in North America where the major ridge lines run from east to west instead of north to south!

----------------

On 3/5/2003 11:41:17 PM hwatkins wrote:

hdbrbuilder -

Been to the river and done that - Our river was the Caddo outside of Arkedelphia (Arkansas' city of brotherly love?). Set up on the gravel bar with car 8 track wired to LaScala's, keg of cheap beer (usually Pabst) and several other entertaining activities. We would often, if Degray Damn was letting out water, ride those innertubes for about 8 miles. We would ride the Caddo until it met the Ouachita and follow the Ouachita River to the Highway 8 bridge coming into Arkadelphia. One inner tube always rigged for the keg...Those LaScala's belonged to friend and they took a beating over three years- beer spills, falls off the pickup, three paint jobs and general disrespect - and they still sounded great.

Now for the quiz (no prizes - unless we want to all chip in for Moon's heritage setup) - How do us Arkansans pronounce 'Ouachita'?

----------------

Sounds like a blast man... And yes... you all are officially invited to help chip in to help pay for m00ns belles. I am right there man... Right there. If I had a pair sitting in front of me, I would be writing a check.

Ooo, ooo, I know the answer to the pop quiz... Native Americans referred to this area as "Wa****a" which means "good hunting grounds". The French spelling of the Indian pronunciation was "Ouachita". The French spelling of Ouachita continues to be used today.

10.gif

cut throat,...the Type AA network used in the Belle & LaScalla should be identical with crossover points @ 400 & 6000Hz. Later, when the type AB network was introduced around 1982, a new midrange driver (K-55-M) was used on the Belle.

The Belle Update sheet (1982)also mentions "Tweeter filter identical to that of the LA SCALLA. The tweeter circut is now wired directly at the system input, not at the auto-transformer." To me, this would imply that the Belle & LaScala did not use identical crossovers, at least not at that particular time. Possibly the LaScala received this update some time before the Belle did.

The Update Sheet also says "Somewhat higher squaker crossover point with a steeper high-pass filter." So, at this point it appears that the Belle & LaScala no longer shared identical crossovers.

Also mentioned is "Reduced peak/trough in the woofer range and increased woofer output by means of eliminating the woofer filter (choke) entirely."

I still have my original Type AA networks in the Belle & Khorns, however, I did disconnect the woofer filter as mentioned above.

In my experience, the LaScala is a bit more "forward" sounding than the Belle, with a longer "throw" and narrower dispersion pattern. The Belles sound better in a smaller room, at least to me, with the LaScalas having the edge in theatre or outdoor settings. The low and high ends are substantially the same.

You'll find a bigger difference with different crossovers. My LaScalas with the much despised AK crossovers sound much more aggressive (ok, harsh)than the older ones with the AAs.

src='http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif'>

Captn Bob,

Your reply was exactly what I was going to ask Moon.

How big and is there alot of furniture in your 2 channel room?

These are big speakers and if they are only going to be less than 6 feet apart with a couch 18" away I think you are going to be disappointed.

Once I put my Lascala's on homemade stands I improved the bass and overall sound.

Danny

HDBRbuilder,

Thanks for the history!Down in L.A. we get an occassional Oh you she ta.Many of us have ventured north and probably unknowingly met you on the Caddo.I rented canoes from Steve in Glenwood and stayed in his rent house next to the bridge outside of Amity many times.Since that was our usual destination,it was great to only have a short up-hill walk to lick wounds or be immobile.Howled at the moon many times there. 1.gif

----------------

On 3/6/2003 12:36:48 PM dbflash wrote:

Captn Bob,

Your reply was exactly what I was going to ask Moon.

How big and is there alot of furniture in your 2 channel room?

These are big speakers and if they are only going to be less than 6 feet apart with a couch 18" away I think you are going to be disappointed.

Once I put my Lascala's on homemade stands I improved the bass and overall sound.

Danny

----------------

I would say they will be about 3 feet appart if that, the couch would be about 4 feet away from the speakers.

I have to vote for the LaScala. I prefer the sound of the K-400. The Belle is more of a compromise in sound for good looks.

If you ever get a pair of Klipschorns you will be glad that you have the LaScalas for the center or rears, because the are a better patch. After all, they are using the same horns and crossover points.

3' apart?....geez. May I suggest headphones instead?

While the Belle's may not need quite as much room to breathe as a Klipschorn, if you can't place them further than 3' apart, its a waste of time & money IMO. Give yourself at least 12' my friend. 3' is for cheap compact "stereos". And sitting 4' away? Is this going to be a full fledged Kamakazi mission, or are you simply going to attempt suicide?

I don't think he was trying to be 'nasty'. I think he thought he was being 'funny'.

Man, I don't know. I've got my Cornwalls 7 feet apart, and the couch is 7 feet back. It was the best I could do -- and it's borderline. The bigger horns really need some room to breathe. Being that close...I just think they're going to end up sounding like a P.A. system. The biggest problem you would have is the cancellation effects from the speakers being so close together. There is such a thing as too much speaker for a given room -- and I think this is one of those situations.

Would you believe in this situation -- a set of Heresies would sound dynamite.