What is the sound difference between La Scala and Belle

m00n

Moon,

I would forget about them. Your RF7's will sound crappy 3 feet apart.

I had my lascala's 96" from center of tweeter to center of tweeter and no funiture in the room except a plastic chair. I was wishing I could seperate them another foot.

Danny

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/6/2003 4:55:59 PM artto wrote:

Hell, I thought it was funny.........

----------------

Sorry man 4.gif, I thought you were trying to be condensending and making fun of me about my noob knowledge. I do appologize.1.gif

Weeeeeeell, sh1t! This is not what I wanted to hear you guys, but I do appreciate your honesty but mostly I appreciate the fact you all know your speakers well enough to be able to warn me about a potiential mistake on my part. The layout of my house does not really permit me to do much in the way of furniture layout. Guess I will stick to enhancing my theaters sound and get another RF7 to replace my RC7.

mOOn,

to take a slightly contrary viewpoint...

One thing that hasn't been stated strongly enough is that even thought Belle and La Scala might not sound exactly the same, they will both sound more like each other than either will sound like any other speaker. You really should try to hear one or the other before you make a purchase. You might find they're not your cup of tea; you might have a sonic epiphany unlike any you've ever had.

The fully horn loaded Heritage line (KHorn, Belle and La Scala) have a different quality of sound than any direct radiating speaker. If the type of sound they make appeals to you, you may find that you like it so much more than other, more "conventional" speakers that you would prefer a Belle or La Scala even if the setup were not optimal (ie, too close together or whatever) over a different speaker that might not have the same setup requirements.

That is, even a poorly set up Belle sounding nowhere near it's potential might be preferable to anything else.

On the other hand, you might find you don't really like the basic sound of the horn loaded bass. It's quite different. Most of us hear DO like it, of course, that's why we're here...

For the record, I had La Scalas in a dinky 12 X 14 foot room for awhile, and while they sounded better when I moved them into a 17 X 21 foot space, even in the small room I enjoyed them immensely.

Ray

Moon,

Take the speakers you have now and put them the same distance that your 2CH will be. Then be real honest with yourself and answer how does it sound. If it still sounds as good as before you moved them then go for it.

If you think it sounds ok and that you could get use to it, don't. You are wasting your money. This is why so many people don't have Khorns. I could buy a pair today, but I don't have the room yet.

A friend of mine has a pair of Khorn's. He sold his house and moved in with his girlfriend. They are in the living room. One is in a corner and the other one is just sitting out in the open. I asked him how it sounds. He said one sounds good, but the other is flat.

He never listen's to them anymore. He wanted me to buy them, instead of my Cornwalls. I knew I didn't have the room.

Good Luck and don't Rush.

How's the wrist? Must be ok If you are thinking about moving speakers around.

Danny

Well, now ya'll got me worried... In my theater my RF7s are about 9' appart. I was planning on replacing my RC7 which obviously is directly in the center of that with another RF7.

Do you all see any canclations with that setup? My RF7s are spread appart as far as they can be.

I wouldn't worry about cancellation in your HT setup so much, because different information goes to the center channel. Is the center RF7 going to be layed on its side on top of a TV or under a screen?

Hey if you do get that 3rd RF7, I got dibs on your RC7!3.gif

----------------

On 3/6/2003 11:16:49 PM Johnny Klipschfan wrote:

I wouldn't worry about cancellation in your HT setup so much, because different information goes to the center channel. Is the center RF7 going to be layed on its side on top of a TV or under a screen?

Hey if you do get that 3rd RF7, I got dibs on your RC7!
3.gif

----------------

Sorry man, but that RC7 is staying right in my speaker arsenal. 2.gif It will be used as my second rear... I already have one RC7 rear so I will be placing this one back there as well. The other one was getting lonely.

Oh and no, the RF7 center will be standing tall and proud just like the other two.

Jeebus... That will be 11 speakers all together.

2 fronts

1 center

2 subs

4 side surrounds

2 rear surrounds

Once I get my theater put back together, I may start playing around with how the RC7s sound as surrounds by taking my two RC7 rears, and putting them in place of my RS7 to see how they sound... If they sound good, or shall I say, I like the sound of them better than the sound of WDSP, then I may sell the 4 RS7s and get 4 new RC7s... Something tells me that would be a kick-*** sound.

We'll see. Dunno yet. But definitly upgrading my center to a RF7.

You East Arkansas boys are "flat-landers" and rednecks.

We North West Arkansas sophisticates relaxed in the mountains with vintage wines (Tonti Town or Altis), Las in the side doors of a custom van (cassette deck - no 8-tracks please)and listened to opera.

Or maybe we were on the White River drinking PBR and listening to Doug Clark & The Hot Nuts.......I just can't remember........

Love Ya brothers

I.B. Slammin

----------------

On 3/6/2003 4:55:59 PM artto wrote:

Hell, I thought it was funny.........

----------------

Hell, It was funny.

The LaS was designed for auditoriums, and project forward.

Within reason, they sound better at a distance. Better mids than the Bell, better match as a center for the Cornerhorn.

Paul had a wife. Come on boys! LaS stick out in the room and the little lady does not like that regardless of finish.

Paul was THE MAN, but Paul was a man with a woman...just like many of us.

still slammin

I have owned my La Scala's for about 22 years and find the sound stage to be excellent. My room size is 22x20 and the La Scala's are about 12 feet apart. I like the tight fast bass they produce. When you think about a majority of the music most of us listen to, there is not a whole lot below 45 Hz. The only time I use my sub is for movies or DVD-A/DTS music discs. All other music is played two channels w/out sub. I like the cleaner low end I get from my La Scala's or from any Heritage compared to the traditional speaker designs. My best friend has Belle's and they too sound excellent. As many of us have attested to, they are almost identical. Now what is almost identical mean? Both the bass and the highs are exact, but as mentioned by others. The mid horn is shorter and not as wide. I personally like the sound of the La Scala's mid range over the shorter Belle's mid range.

Anyway, thats MHO FWIW10.gif

----------------

On 3/5/2003 6:59:30 PM HDBRbuilder wrote:

PWK wanted to use a Lascala at home as a center channel between two k-horns. Previously, he was using a Cornwall, and before that a Heresy for center-channel duty. His first wife, Belle, did not like the looks of the LaScala, but she "allowed it into her living room." One of the reasons she disliked the LaScala was because it was plain plywood construction, and NOT the fine-furniture look of PWK's walnut veneered k-horns or the previously used Cornwall or Heresy. Another reason she disliked the LaScala was that she was able to put a long tall table over the Cornwall or Heresy...to kinda hide them a bit(Cornwall was original Cornwall II model on its side). So, in order to bring a smile to Belle's face, as a surprise for her, PWK designed and built the first Belle Klipsch speaker...naming it after and giving it to his wife. He designed it so that it stood alone as a fine piece of furniture, no table needed to cover it up...and so that it was an aesthetic match for the k-horns, while still having the sonic performance of the LaScala...IOW a dressed-up LaScala. Pretty simple! Belle passed away in 1975 or early 1976...and shortly after, PWK married Mrs. Valerie. He also designed a speaker for her...to use in her music classes, but Mrs. Valerie, upon hearing how difficult the cabinet was to construct, and how the builders assigned the task had called it a "little bastard"...told PWK just to name it the "little bastard". The speaker was designed and first built in 1976, and was designated the LB-76. It is basically a smaller version of a LaScala, with "half the folded horn of the LaScala turned up on its end"....the mid-horn of the Cornwall(or maybe Heresy?), with the tweeter vertically mounted to one side of the midhorn. About a half dozen pairs of LB-76's were built, but it never went into regular production because the cost in labor to build it was more than that of the LaScala...and since it was intended to be a smaller, more easily maneuvered-around speaker that approached LaScala performance at a lower cost than the LaScala...it simply wasn't economically sound to spend more building it, but sell it for less! Pretty simple! I always loved to borrow a pair of LB-76's from the plant to take to the river for parties and such when I worked there...they really sounded great!

----------------

Does anyone have a photo of the LB-76?

Would love to see one!

I. B. Slammin

Speakers 3 feet apart.... back in the 70s and80s there was a poster out there, maybe it was for maxwell tape, this guy in black sitting in this chair three feet in front of these speakers. The sound pressure is pushing his hair back like he was riding a motorcycle! LOL

Terry N. Cruse,

Scroll down to Justin's post in this sections titled"two questions in one"...he posted the pics of the drawings of the LB-76 there.

BKROP,

I believe the speakers used in that Maxell tape ad from the mid-1970's you are talking about were JBL L-100 Century models...if I remember correctly.