Im going back to McIntosh AMPS !!!

j-malotky

As most of you know, I have been missing my McIntosh for a while now. Well after debating for the last 6 months or so what my next amps will be, I found a pair of MC-250 at a good price.

Since I am a component freak, I plan to run them in Mono and use them for my 2 Khorns.

I was going to do a 225 or 30 (Tubes), but.... I just don't have the time to play with tube amps now.

Thanks you guys for all your input.

I plan to pick them up this weekend, but will be in Cincinati all next week, so it will be a while before I put them into service.

I am a happy man 1.gif1.gif1.gif

JM

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JM,

Welcome back to Mac!! I sure love my pair of 250's9.gif I've got them in the front room, sitting there with those larger-than-D-sized-battery caps, just waiting for something else to knock it off! For what I got them for, I don't anticipate any same priced amps beating them (at least to my ears, anyway).

I find these amps to be a great "middle of the road" bewteen the SS and tube sound. Smooth and airy tube qualities, with SS guts! I like the Mac bass in 2 channel, too.

M00n needs one of these for his Belles. The tube/SS war was getting a bit heavy in that thread, and m00n's heard so much advice already, but I really wish he would try this on his Belles.

Mac + klipsch = Yummy3.gif

I would think that one MC250 would be MORE than enough for a pair of k-horns, maybe even better to run just one if not only to give it a chance to get out of the microwatt basement, where most SS amps do not perform their best...perhaps you could sell the second of the pair to mOOn. I too think that these must be among the best inexpensive vintage SS amps. tony

----------------

On 4/2/2003 5:25:07 PM sunnysal wrote:

I would think that one MC250 would be MORE than enough for a pair of k-horns, maybe even better to run just one if not only to give it a chance to get out of the microwatt basement, where most SS amps do not perform their best...perhaps you could sell the second of the pair to mOOn. I too think that these must be among the best inexpensive vintage SS amps. tony

----------------

Tony, Im not doing it for the 100 watts. Your right, I don't need the power. What I have found, and why I am a component nut is that having separate power amps gives a lot more imaging than a single sterio amp. This way I totally eliminate the shared ground used by each channel.

I even go as far as having two separate 20 amp circuits to my rack, each having there own real world ground separate from each other and the rest of the house.

JM

Anyone here have any experience with McIntosh integrated amps? I saw a used MA 6200 that was taken in on trade from by a local audio retailer. Curious if any of you have heard/had any expereince with this unit.

JM, now I get it! I too use monoblocks and am extremely happy with the results, my old dynaco MkIVs image quite well and I seem to think the monoblock approach allows for a little more "umph".

whell, I have a McIntosh MA6400 Integrated in my bedroom hooked to some RB5s and I am also very pleased with the sound from this unit, powerful, low distortion Mac sound. I love the blue meters too! regards, tony

Jim T, I like that pic of yours that you posted.

All the talk that you and DND and the others had about the 250 and the 2505 etc really got me thinking about the SS Macs.

KJ, That one for $450 is a fair price, but on the higher side of fair. You can get them for cheaper. If the chrome is in good shape and it was well taken care of that is a good price.

If possible try to get a one owner amp.

JM

JM, thanks for the compliment on that photo. I use that as my wallpaper on my monitor as well.

m00n, it was sunnysal that inquired that you should also consider a McIntosh MC250 SS amp if you decide not to go the vacuum tube route just yet. Any decent McIntosh amp (SS or tube) would add to the sonic qualities of your Belle Klipsch...just a thought.

Ahhhhh, Mr. m00n, he finds the Mac thread......

You are in the right place, my friend. I'm here to tell you that I really believe that the Mc 250, 2505, or 2105 is an excellent place to start with your Belles.

Why????

I've spent some time wandering around the amplifier block, collecting information on just what amplifier would best suit my eventual 2 channel system. I've listened to Edster's Khorns driven by the Moondogs (SET), the Scott 299 integrateds, and the Jolida - all nice sounding setups, but these didn't quite have what I was looking for. What was it missing?? That SS brute feel - the guts, as it were. Sure the mids were smooth, but these just needed a bit stronger bottom.

So what kind of whacko wouldn't be happy with a Scott 299B? I wouldn't be unhappy with it, but maybe one is not so sure about tube maintenance, and wants a bit more zip. Now I'm a SS guy at heart - used to hours in front of concert stages, who is used to that solid state feel - especially the bottom. But I'm also very aware of the harshness that SS brings - even the smoothest of solid state pieces sound shrill through the klipsch.

But not the Macs.

The Macs have that perfect balance between the solid state guts and the tubelike smoothness in midrange, and that lingering, "looser" bass that tubes are revered for, yet with the SS power behind it. Not exaggerated, not bloated, just that perfect middle. Effortless power that begs you to turn it up more, unlike most SS demanding you to turn it down due to ear bleed. Plus, the Macs have a good "first watt" too.

Some think it's too dark or laid back, I think it's just right. Easy enough to buy, no real maintenance to speak of, and if you don't like it or go a different direction, you can sell it and get what you paid for it, if not more (if you keep it in good shape). If you get one, I dare another comparably priced amp to knock it out of your system.

Once you get the Mac, simply enjoy the setup (all you need is a disc player and you have an instant system - use the gain controls on the Mac for volume), then go to horn club meetings and get more first hand experience as to what you may want to do differently. Think tube PREAMP as a later addition (preamp really affects the flavor of your system - more than the amp, IMO). I'm adding a tube preamp/tuner to my system (Mc MX-110) as the next 2 channel "trial". As I say though, you may find the Mac SS amp to be the perfect fit. I sure love mine.

I'll repeat: McIntosh + klipsch = Yummy3.gif

Well, I've a Mac 2100 sitting in the garage as something isn't quite right with the left channel and I don't know anyone competent to check it out. At 75 lbs., sending it out isn't really an issue. Doesn't sound that bad, but level is significantly lower than the right.

Love to get it going again. I did enjoy it for 5 years or so driving Rectilinear IV's. It would be interesting to see how it fares with the 'horns.

Dave

Mcintosh and Klipsch are a natural

sonic match in my opinion. Very smooth sounding solid state amps. I own an early 90's MC 7150 amp-150 wattsx2, C 38 preamp, MCD 7009 cd player, MR 77 tuner, Pioneer Elite PD 65 cd player & a pair of 2A3 SET Moondog factory assembled amps with ultimate parts upgrade. Previous to buying the Moondogs last July I was running both sets of Cornwalls with the Mcintosh through a Niles speaker selector box, used a pro gear 1/3 octave Alesis M-EQ 230 equalizer (30 bands per channel). I was in hog heaven. I bought my first set of 1977 Cornwalls from a guy in

San Antonio. Andy ran tube gear in several different systems. The Cornwalls were in his second system-EAR 859 SET integrated amp & EAD transport & dac. This was my first exposure to tubes & I was impressed. Two years later with all the talk about tube gear on the two channel forum I decided to dive in and buy a tube amp. Bought the Moondogs last July off of Audiogon. I took the eq out of the system and have been using my C 38 preamp with either the Moondogs or the Mac amp. 1977 pair are hooked up the Moondogs & the 1983 pair are hooked up to the Mac. I listen to the Moondogs 99% of the time, I think they sound better. But I still sometimes unhook the the interconnects to the Moondogs & hook up the old Mac. It is a good

smooth sounding solid state amp. I still use tone controls on my Mac preamp, sometimes I run it flat other times adjust the tone to my tastes, a big no no to some purist. I just bought a used Welborne Labs Revellie tube preamp off of Audiogon to go with the Moondogs. Will get it via Fedex Air next week. It is a solid state rectified 6SN7 preamp. Will be the first time in 27 years of audio that I will not have tone controls in a system. I am not a golden eared audiophile, just a music lover that likes good gear. In my subjective opinion there is no absolute best out there in audioland. It all boils down to personal preference in what you like. Solid state or tubes can sound good.

mOOn,

Is $500 too much for your budget on a 2 channel amp?? If not, you can afford a Mc 250 - and that price should get you one in good condition. Well worth it as proper amplification for your Belles.

If you must have one with the beeeeauuuuutiful blue meters, the 2505 goes for a bit more ($600-800).

....or a Mac integrated. These go on Ebay for about $500. Don't know if the integrated share ALL the sonic benefits of Mac separates, but they might serve as a good intro. I've still got my eye on the one that was taken in on trade recently as my fave audio store.