Check this out

lena

That picture cracks me up. Didn't those hicks out in the boondocks believe in jogging attire and running shoes back then?

If those two really were employees of Klipsch, maybe Andy did know them!

Note the old Ford...it was probably the newest truck in town. 9.gif

PWK gave option to employees of taking off for lunch 15 minutes early if they wanted to run or walk a set 1-mile course. The "hottie" on the left in that pic is Gwin Cox...many of you have her signature as "inspected by" or "tested by" on your speakers' labels. Employees just jogged in their work clothes.

I knew Andy would be able to identify her. Vicki Mounce inspected my C-BR's (Mr. Bradford tested them).

Sorry about the "hick" comment...that was a noble gesture for PWK to allow his employees extra time off to get some exercising in! You are a very fortunant man to have been employed at a time in Klipsch's history when PWK was still very much in charge of everyday operations and production. To see that great man in action, to hear his wit and wisdom, and to be part of his dream in creating the best horn loudspeakers the world has ever seen (and heard)...what an honor! You are truely blessed!

----------------

On 4/12/2003 3:48:28 PM jt1stcav wrote:

I knew Andy would be able to identify her. Vicki Mounce inspected my C-BR's (Mr. Bradford tested them).

Sorry about the "hick" comment...that was a noble gesture for PWK to allow his employees extra time off to get some exercising in! You are a very fortunant man to have been employed at a time in Klipsch's history when PWK was still very much in charge of everyday operations and production. To see that great man in action, to hear his wit and wisdom, and to be part of his dream in creating the best horn loudspeakers the world has ever seen (and heard)...what an honor! You are truely blessed!

----------------

"beautiful southwest Arkansas"???? Must have been written by Helen Keller.

Southwest Arkansas people are hicks and flatlanders.

On the other hand, we northwest Arkansas boys done been "sophisticates"

Slammin in NWA

Us Eastern Arkansas folks have to agree. I grew up in Hamburg. We would go 7 miles east to Overflow Hill (It is the southern edge of Crowley's Ridge) where the great Mississippi River flood of 1927 was stopped from moving farther west and we could see directly into Mississippi - right at the edge of vision allowed by the curve of the planet. To my right I could see into Louisiana.

Bayous, small gators, heat, humidity, rice, soybeans, cotton, mosquitoes, River Lakes, Cypress stump lakes (marshes?), catfish, crappie, gar, frog gigging, pine tree farms, paper mills, no liquor sales and high school football stadiums that hold more folks than there are in the town. Now if that don't make Norman Rockwell rise from the grave, nothing will...

----------------

On 4/12/2003 11:33:40 PM HDBRbuilder wrote:

I hate to inform you of this Terry...but southwest AR is NOT flatland...it is rolling river bottomland...with the exception of the extreme southwest few square miles immediately adjacent to the Red River....the true flatland is in eastern AR.

----------------

Andy,

Just trying to get a rise out of you. I visited the factory in 1974 or 1975. I can't remember exactly. What I do remember is how gracious Mr. Klipsch was to a country boy groupie and the feeling of family that I felt between he and the staff. Your time there must have been wonderful.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

I think that photo is in the book about PWK, "Paul Wilbur Klipsch The life ... the Legend.

I was looking through it while at a Borders Books store in Atlanta last weekend. Lots of drawings and photos.

Marvel