73 Cornwall's on ebay

markw

They do appear to be Cornwalls with Vertical Mounted Horns. I f you look closely at the one on the left in the ad's picture, you can detect the outline of the offset woofer. An inactive member of this forum bought a pair of 74 Cornwalls that were just like these with Pie Slice Logos, and his had Vertical Horns too. They did not have the earlier Cornwall II designation on the labels, but the tweeters and squawkers were mounted vertically. Very nice looking pair.

Hi Jim,

I remember the 74 pair that were bought and they did have Vertical Horns, but did not have the II designation. I shared emails with the buyer because I bought my 71 Vertical II's from the same seller. I realized then that at some point in the early seventies, some Vertical Horn Cornwalls were indeed made without the early II designation on the labels.

Look closely at the left picture in the ad. you can definately see the outline of the offset woofer. Every Vertical Horn speaker I've seen had their woofers mounted offset to the placement of the Vertical Horns.

<edit> Here's the image. You can also see the outline of the Vertical Horns in the left pic too.

ebayad.jpg

----------------

On 4/12/2003 1:18:17 PM Jim Cornell wrote:

Wes

Im not to sure on these, they are missing the old cornwall 2 labels!

Or maybe im wrong, its all good

Regards Jim

ooking again, i agree they are vertical, nice job Wes

----------------

My '73 Vert CWs are not labeled CW2. I ordered them from the factory so I know they are the real deal. CW & CW2 labels? Just like girls in 1973. Some do and some don't.

I.B. Slammin

My '73 Cornwalls (3L092 & 093) have the Cornwall label, not the Cornwall II label. They have the riser bases on the short side which indicates they were built to have the cabinets and the horns sit vertically. Mine do have the 2nd label on the back showing they can be placed with the cabinets vertically or horizontally. Seems to me original Cornwall II label was replaced sometime between '71 and '73.

----------------

On 4/12/2003 9:04:00 PM edster00 wrote:

My '73 Cornwalls (3L092 & 093) have the Cornwall label, not the Cornwall II label. They have the riser bases on the short side which indicates they were built to have the cabinets and the horns sit vertically. Mine do have the 2nd label on the back showing they can be placed with the cabinets vertically or horizontally. Seems to me original Cornwall II label was replaced sometime between '71 and '73.

----------------

I was not aware that the vert horn placement had been designed to do anything other than lay on their sides. Long side on the floor, ports against the wall. If risers were shipped on the short side, then the vert horn mods were designed to go both ways. My '72's were decorator, so there was no indication (by riser location)of what was what. Why would Klipsch offer the option? Would he allow the horn placement(vert/horz) to be the choice of the buyer? I am skeptical. Does anyone else have factory units with vert horns and risers on the short side? Always felt as though the ports should be coupled to the floor, but that he designed the horn placement always to be horizontal.( vert horn mods being long side of the box on the floor.)

I thought that I had seen them all. The CW with vert horns were designed to be placed long side down, making the horns horizontal. Anyone? Andy?

Slammin Sideways

----------------

On 4/13/2003 8:34:07 PM Terry N. Cruse wrote:

----------------

On 4/12/2003 9:04:00 PM edster00 wrote:

----------------

I was not aware that the vert horn placement had been designed to do anything other than lay on their sides. Long side on the floor, ports against the wall. If risers were shipped on the short side, then the vert horn mods were designed to go both ways. My '72's were decorator, so there was no indication (by riser location)of what was what. Why would Klipsch offer the option? Would he allow the horn placement(vert/horz) to be the choice of the buyer? I am skeptical. Does anyone else have factory units with vert horns and risers on the short side? Always felt as though the ports should be coupled to the floor, but that he designed the horn placement always to be horizontal.( vert horn mods being long side of the box on the floor.)

I thought that I had seen them all. The CW with vert horns were designed to be placed long side down, making the horns horizontal. Anyone? Andy?

Slammin Sideways

----------------

Correction: They are 1972 mods.

On 4/13/2003 8:37:04 PM Terry N. Cruse wrote:

...I was not aware that the vert horn placement had been designed to do anything other than lay on their sides...I am skeptical. Does anyone else have factory units with vert horns and risers on the short side?...I thought that I had seen them all. The CW with vert horns were designed to be placed long side down, making the horns horizontal. Anyone? Andy?

Terry-

I am not an authority on this one, but I think the vast majority of Cornwalls with vertical horns that also have risers have those risers mounted on the short side.

The long side risers are more the exception and are very rare.

It was felt that with Cornwalls, the horns have better dispersion characteristics when mounted vertically. This required the cabinets to be manufactured in two configurations and to ship and sell matched pairs together. This added to the cost of the Cornwalls and became an option in the 1960's rather than standard and later was discontinued entirely. As I understand it, when the vertical horns were an option, the Cornwall II was not meant to represent a "2" but was a diagramatic illustration of the side-by-side vertically mounted horns. These Cornwalls are especially sought after by Klipsch enthusiasts, who usually position them with the horns mounted vertically. You can also position these on their sides because it doesn't place the horns too low (as it does on the horizontal cabinets).

The vertical horn configuration was not done on the larger Klipsch speakers at the time due size and shape constraints, but they fit pretty neatly into the Cornwall format.

Best in horns,

Triceratops

The issue of which way "vertical horn" Cornwalls should be oriented has been the topic of much debate on the BB. A couple of days ago artto posted a pic of a Klipsch price list from 1973. It is interesting to note that the price list depicts the Cornwall in both the vertical and horizontal placement, and states that the vertical placement is preferred. Sorry this is such a large document but when I resize it, it becomes very hard to read.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=26874&

Thanks for reprinting the above 1973 info, Edster!

Well the aforementioned auction closed at $710--I hope someone from the Forum got these! That was a major score '72 Vert Cornwalls in excellent shape! I think these went so cheaply because the auction was listed as "Cornwalls" rather than "Cornwall". My usual search of "Klipsch + Cornwall" missed these--I wouldn't have seen them if it wasn't for the Forum.

Best,

Triceratops

My profound thanks to markw for pointing out this auction! I'm the lucky auction winner!! As triceratops noted, eBay's search missed the "Cornwalls" listing for this auction and I would have missed it totally without Mark's heads-up.

I hadn't logged in here in a few days and just happened to read this thread about twenty minutes before the auction closed this afternoon. Honestly, I've been looking for speakers like these for nearly twenty-five years now! But, I've never had the funds to purchase them when they were available. Luckily, this time I do! :-)

I currently have a system with 4 Heresy's and an Academy. While this has been a great setup for a while now, my dream system has always employed Cornwalls as my mains. A buddy of mine has already agreed to purchase my extra Heresy's. So, this auction has come along at a perfect time for me!

The best part of the deal is that I only have to drive about 15 minutes to pick these up. No shipping costs! Woo-hoo!!

Congrats TOC_op!

Talk about being in the right place at the right time! Catching the auction just before the close and the speakers of your dreams are 15 minutes away--those Cornwalls obviously had your name on them! After you've got them settled in, let us know how you like the sound...

Best in horns,

Triceratops

Congratulations TOC_op. What a score, and so close to home. My `85 Cornwalls are on their way from St.Louis as we speak. There have been more than a few on e-bay recently. Can anyone tell me what the sound differences are between older and newer models. I`m becoming envious of the vertical horns before I`ve even heard a horizontal pair.

The older Corns are smoother than the newer models. I'm not sure if it's the Alnico, the crossover (most likely culprit) or the cabinets, but I do prefer the sound of the earlier Cornwall I. From what I've read, the type B in the older Corns is a much more musical crossover.

I have been curious what a crossover change would do to the '88 Cornwall II.

Nice score on those verticals Top oc - you'll dig 'em.....trust me.

TOC-

Congrats on a great auction win. If I hadn't just picked up my '68 Khorns, I would have gone for those. And its great they are within a short drive, so you'll be able to enjoy them almost immediately.

I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of that extra set of Heresy's. Use them as back center speakers, or split the pair and use one each for front and rear center. You could probably sell that Academy to someone here on the board and come up with about half the Cornwall purchase!

At any rate, you'll have an even better system with those Cornwalls. Enjoy!