Selling my Belles... I said I would give you guys first crack.

m00n

gary I saw my first dead show in 1989. Man I missed alot of good dead. I made both alpine dates last summer, but I miss the old scene.

anyway, I digress...I sure as hell like band thats got their start before I could enjoy them, I was simply saying that I didn't agree with rejecting newer music as a refuge for young stoners (and Dean) and pointing to Aerosmith and the like as the high water mark of rock.

Was older aerosmith good? You know, I have no idea. I can hear the music but its tough to identify with Aerosmith as rock legengs as I know them from what I saw of them. When I was in high school and college they led the biring schmaltz rock brigade topping out with the awfully embarassing Armageddon theme song. Gives me chills.

Well we all march to our own tune, as it were. Fast forward 25 years..."Shuttup son, Smashing Pumpkins were the apex of rock history." Awwww dad.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kev - My 20 yr old son is in the same boat. Told him he could see his first dead show when he was 13. That was the year Jerry died. He comes with us to see Phil & Friends, The Other Ones, etc. and loves it. Too bad you missed the late 70s (Jerry's best years by far). I saw Aerosmith in the 70s and when Steve Tyler's voice was good, they were great shows. My favorite album is Get Your Wings. Can't stand anything they've done since Rocks. I do think there are some real good quality bands out there now (Dave Matthews and others) but they're few and far between. That's why the 50+ year olds are still selling out stadiums.

Kev,

Do youself a favor and go buy Pandora's Box its a 3 CD set that has all the oldies on it and some great Live cuts before the crashed and burned in the late 70's . I personally like the stuff from the 90's also.

But there just one group of many that have stood the test of time.

Craig

Best thing I ever did for 2-channel was to get rid of my sub -- I'm not kidding.

The only way to get things to gel is to run the whole signal through the sub, where it's split. There's some degradation to the signal because of the low quality parts in the sub's crossover.

Less is more.

I still say with any extra money you get -- dump the receiver and upgrade to separates. HK to BK would be a good move for you.

Yes, everything after Rocks sucks.

Dean changing my reciver to sepparates, are you talking about home theater or 2 channel? Either way, that would have to wait. All the money I am getting back is spoken for between a new RF7 for my center channel and my theater seats. Anything after that is still spoken for.

However, I will definitly keep it in mind. But in the back of my mind. I have enough to worry about right now. 2.gif

I've got my KG2.5's, Klipsch sub, and Scott amp just playing the hell out of James Taylor right now and I'm really enjoying it. I thought that was the objective. Enjoyment of music. Not dickering over toys.

I think ole m00n is a pretty smart guy. The Belles weren't his cup of tea, and he spit. Way to go m00n.

Keith

----------------

On 4/27/2003 11:37:22 PM talktoKeith wrote:

I've got my KG2.5's, Klipsch sub, and Scott amp just playing the hell out of James Taylor right now and I'm really enjoying it. I thought that was the objective. Enjoyment of music. Not dickering over toys.

I think ole m00n is a pretty smart guy. The Belles weren't his cup of tea, and he spit. Way to go m00n.

Keith

----------------

30.gif

I think the final kicker was after I purchased my POD CD. I played it in my truck on the way home. My truck has a decent system in it. Anyway, I was thinking to myself how good it was going to sound. Spun that CD on my belles and was nonting but dissapointed.

I think it comes down to I am a rock and roll guy more than I am a classicl/jazz kinda guy. I need something that has some crunch and bass to it. Maybe I am not a purest like most of you are. 4.gif

Why are those two guys always slamming their glasses together -- aren't they ever going to drink that stuff.

There are some timeless cuts on every Areosmith record/cd -- most of my favorites just happen to be the ones they never play(ed) on the radio. Every once in a blue moon I'll listen to some of it, but mostly it just seems kind of passe'. I have the same feelings about a lot of those bands from the 70's and 80's. I think I just got tired of them.

Craig, you might like Taproot. I wonder what you would think about Korn's new Untouchables CD.

Korn ......... I feel a migraine coming on !

The Pandora's Box set is exactly like you describe all the oldies and much of the early never heard stuff. Heck the first track on the first CD started playing and I said man who is that ! It was one catchy tune but real retro 60's sounding.

Craig

Alright then,

I won't bother with Dean since, well, he did acknowledge Heresies are great.

I truly don't see the need for anything else. The Auricapped Eico brought out much more bass and just for grins and giggles I popped the sub back in the chain. While I enjoy the physical impact of the kick drum from the sub, for the most part it is not remotely necessary and I enjoy the sound a bit better with only the Heresies playing - clarity.

I "HAVE" heard RF7's for a lengthy time, compared them to Heresies, compared them to KG4's and compared them to KSP400's. All are nice speakers and all excel in certain areas or with certain music...AND all are heavily dependent on the room they are located in. I could have bought RF7's if I so chose. Nothing really against them other than I found them cheaply made or, if some are offended, very delicate and although some are quite happy with them, those 10 cent grills simply did not impress me. Don't have the time or room to dedicate and want new speakers for HT and music - RF7's are unquestionably the choice to make.

As for music, there is a very simple generalization and highly accurate which can be applied to every generation. Kids listen to music that sucks and their parents hate it. I, being a 'stoner' back in the day, have a great appreciation for guitars, drums, and bass and don't particularly care what generation is playing it but I still 'HATE' some of the stuff my kid thinks is great, i.e. Rob Zombie for the most part sucks and I can't stand trying to figure out what the hell he is saying or screaming.

That said let me share some of my favorites from long ago, recent past, and current.

Long ago - Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, John Lennon, Hendrix

Recent past(in my mind) - Pink Floyd, Queensryche, Ozzy, Ted Nugent, RUSH, Dire Straits, Motley Crue, Supertramp, Bad Company, Judas Priest, Jethro Tull, Guns N' Roses, Neil Young, Tracy Chapman, Neil Diamond.

Current - Live, Seven Mary Three, Creed, Pearl Jam, Carlos Santana, Jewel, Filter, Vanessa Carlton, Bush, Sinead O'Conner, Linkin Park, Metallica, Dave Matthews, Tool, Macy Gray.

This morning, for instance, has seen Rush, Nugent, and Vanessa. Dire Straits, Jewel, and Deep Purple are in the queue.

The Heresies have really given me an appreciate for other 'styles' as well and I could be listening to Blues Traveler, James Cotton, Junior Wells, Robert Cray, Sugar Ray, Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday, James Taylor, or Cat Stephens at any point in time.

I would appreciate when anyone turns me on to something else that moves you when listening to it - I do however have strong aversions to country, classical, and opera.

Good 'old, smokey filled room' jazz and blues suggestions would be particularly welcome as I am not real knowledgable about the 'players' in these genres.

Anarchist

Have you ever listened to 311? They are a mix of rock, rap, regge and funk. I know that sounds like a terrible mix. But these guys can somehow pull it off, bring it together and make it sound excellent. These guys definitly know how to get that groove on. If interested I suggest their CD labled "Transistor". Of the four or so CDs that I have of 311, it in my opinion is the best.

m00n

This latest Korn isn't like all the others -- which suck.

Rob Zombie sucks.

Lots of it sucks.

I like:

Fuel

Queens of the Stone Age

Mudvayne

Chevelle

Kutless

Taproot

Feezel

East West

A band called 'One Stripe' sounds pretty good so far...

...and a handful of others.

m00n-

One of my all time favorite songs is "Don't Stay Home"

It was the first 311 song I had heard. I don't like a lot of their other stuff, but that song kills me every time.

Don't worry about your Belles.

Do watcha feel.