Selling my Belles... I said I would give you guys first crack.

m00n

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moon

I am totally with you one this one. I would be spending the money on the room also. It looks great and it looks like you are doing it right. I love the seating. Many people don't do this extra step, but I have seen some rooms with it and it great. I would love to come see it when you are done. Some day when I get a job I will be building a room also. Great Job Man.3.gif3.gif3.gif

Moon,

So you don't have ANY tube equipment at all? No wonder they aren't performing to the level that you were expecting. In my opinion Heritage Klipsch absolutely need tubes to reach their full potential. This is probably the biggest reason why you are hearing no low end from them.

When I first picked up my Khorns, about a year and half ago, I was driving them with a piece of crap solid state Yamaha receiver Model# HTR-5240. LOL. What a joke. The funny thing is that before I had the Khorns I was using these cheesy Yamaha bookshelf speakers that I thought actually sounded good with that receiver...and at the time they did. After demoing the speakers, which the gentleman at the time was driving with a McIntosh C20 preamp and MC240 power amp, I took them home, hooked them up to the Yamaha and about puked. The sound was NOTHING compared to what I had heard at his house earlier that day. I knew from that point on that I was on a mission to acquire a tube unit. After spending some time here on the 2-channel forum, and having Kelly aka Mobile around(which I miss) talking non-stop about the Eico HF-81, I decided to take a chance and purchased one off of eBay. That was one of the best moves I have ever made. I ended up finding one in great condition with a "buy it now" of $200 and have never once regretted it. Sheesh...the Yamaha unit cost more than that at Best Buy and it can't hold a candle to the little 50 year old Eico.

If I were you I would wait a little longer, assuming you can afford to, to try and find a reasonably priced integrated tube amp that you can connect those Belles to. They will love you for it. You don't need some multi thousand dollar setup with a seperate tube preamp, tube amp, tube cd player and such. Those Belles would blow you away for less than $500.

Whatever you do just make yourself happy. That is really all that matters. If you think that means selling the Belles then by all means do it.

Moon,

I maybe harsh but there are many of us here that spent countless time posting and advising you what you would need to do before you even recieved the speakers you never did any of it ! I still say you still haven't gave them a chance in hell of sounding good. I think the entire process was a waste of everyone's time ! Sorry but its how I feel ! no big deal just thought someone should set the story straight.

Craig

Craig...

Excuse me for wasting your time, but unless you know all aspects of my situation, you have no basis for your bs.

Besides I thought that was what this place was all about. Coming together to help one another.

If your gonna get all pissy about it send me your address so I and fling you a quarter to call someone who gives a sh1t about your snotty outlook!

The fact is, I tried but because of situations outside of my control such as placement, room size, etc and the fact that my wife under no circumstances will allow tube gear in this house there simply is no reason for me to keep a speaker that is not able to perforum up to snuff. That my friend would be a waste!

Jim,

I'm so glad you asked that because I almost started a thread about it the other day. I was trying to figure out why all the AA networks I see pictures of here, and on eBay, all have the big metal containers on them. I thought I had been ripped off. 1.gif

Yes I do have them. Do you know if they are inferior in any way to the other AA networks? Will the modifications I read about everyone performing to their AA networks have any effect on ours? I read about cutting the diodes, or some business like that, but like I said every pic I see is of the other AA's. I have no idea what to cut on ours and don't even know if I would do it if I knew. I really like the way the sound now but am always open to suggestions.

Moon, I have Belles, Cornwalls, Klipschorns. In my mind, the only way to go (money aside) is Klipschorns ... given good corners. The Belles are great but they are not the only option.

I think you're wise looking at RF7-s or similar ... Your room is narrow, but that's okay ... it is what it is! Looks like you're putting a lot of thought into what you have. Bonus points.

I've done a lot of speaker iterations and have learned a lot on the way ... and you're right ... some of this you have to learn first hand.

Please don't get discouraged. You're on the right path. Hang in there.

I am NOT playing with the crossovers on the 1975, believe me theres nothing wrong with these!

I like them the way they are, i have the other set modded a little bit, new Solen inductors, new Caps, the sound is about the same, just a tad more bass, this is better than the type AA with oil caps, oil caps get old and loose there values!

When i replaced the caps, my 1980 K-horns really came to life!

Leave well enough alone there bud! I am, i see no reason to change them at all!

Maybe better wire, but i havent even done that yet LOL!

Regards Jim9.gif

Chris,

Thanks man! I am in no way discouraged. I would own another set of belles in a heartbeat if I was to move into a different house and the setup was better. I really like the sound for most part, it's just that my setup keeps me from getting their max potiential.

I have a few comments:

1. You seem pretty OK with the situation so it seems the $300 was worth getting the Belle fever out of our your system. Had you not done the purchase you probably would still be eyeing the monsters. Too bad you had to buy the new drivers.

2. You were a frequent poster during the hunt with your feelings and now you are frequent with you feelings on selling despite knowing all the grief you would get....I'm glad you shared the complete story...it was interesting...many would have quietly sold them and moved on.

3. It wasn't a good fit as I posted during the entire process. Good things aren't good to everyone for every situation.

4. The advice may not have been follow-up on by Moon but I think others may have learned or shown interest in the material.

5. There sure was alot of action on the MOON threads.

On 4/24/2003 8:38:20 PM kjohnsonhp wrote:

========================================================================

2. You were a frequent poster during the hunt with your feelings and now you are frequent with you feelings on selling despite knowing all the grief you would get....I'm glad you shared the complete story...it was interesting...many would have quietly sold them and moved on.

Yeah, I ask a lot of questions. 4.gif.

4. The advice may not have been follow-up on by Moon but I think others may have learned or shown interest in the material.

Hey, sometimes you just gotta learn the hardway. But it really in my opinion was not the hard way. As I tried to say to Craig, I learned a lot and in my book, that is a good thing.

5. There sure was alot of action on the MOON threads.

Fear not, there will be more. Maybe not as much here in 2 channel land, but there will be more. I like to talk.4.gif

The whole situation reminds me of a dear friend of mine.

Out of the blue he decides he needs to buy a new truck because it was something different and had good reviews. He goes and buys a stick although he had always driven an auto. A month later he trades it in on the EXACT same truck with an automatic. A couple months later he decides the crew cab is just too long and trades it in for one with a smaller bed. He lost enough money on the trade-ins to buy a small car. Just left me shaking my head thinking impulsive, short-term-thinking bonehead.

I am not applying exactly the same thought to you Moon (after all he was a close friend. 1.gif ) other than one day you will again own Belles AND it will cost you far more money at that point. I must agree with NOS; all the threads, all the advice, all the worry you placed on yourself - it was all for naught, unnecessary, and a letdown. It is however your money and your choice how to spend it so I wish you well on the next trip.

Oh yeah, you can send NOS that quarter via Paypal. 9.gif

Regrets moon: To bad your budgets does not allow you to keep those belle.

That has never been a problem for me so i can't relate , focus on your HT and family needs first . You can always re-buy down the road if the 2 channel bug comes your way.

Cheers : DALE

Moon,

Don't take the guys comments to heart-they just want to help you out and see you get the most out of your Belles before you make your final decision.

If your not happy-your not happy.Its not like your selling all your Klipsch.I had a feeling that the Belles wouldn't be all that you wanted in the bass department especially after hearing your RF7s.Your thinking of the big picture with your home theater with the family and thats to be commended.

Hell,$300.00 is not that big a loss in the grand scheme of things-think of it as a learing experience.

...and Craig thinks we're all looney

2.gif especially people like Dean and myself-right Craig?

Jeff