Selling my Belles... I said I would give you guys first crack.

m00n

Though I really like them, I think I would rather take that money I invested in them and put it where it was originally going to go which was in my theater. Not to mention my 2 year old is growing out of his crib and needs a real bed.

So, what I have done to them so far is to oil them twice (ok no biggie). Have replaced both woofer drivers with brand new K-33-Es and replaced both tweeter diaphrams.

I paid $1650 for them. I have invested about $270.00 into them with replacement drivers and tweeter diaphrams.

I know you all must think I am strange for all the posts about how to make them sound their best and all the questions about tube gear, but what can I say other than I got a little impulsive when I bought them. 4.gif

I think at least $1750.00 is more than a fair price. Also I still have the original crates they were shipped in.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah... Actually I am serious. 5.gif

I just hope I don't live to regret it. I really hope someone from the board is interested. I don't want to sell on eBay.

One twist to this... If someone had a brand new RF7 I would consider a trade and $1000.00

Moon:

Don't do it!!!

I have been following many of your posts. I have a set of '88 Belles with ALK crossovers. I also am in the process of tuning my room. I just added 4 home made sound absorbers. The hi and mids are clear, precise and clean. Imaging great. Bass is tremendous. I don't have a sub either.

Are you getting rid of them because you are not happy with the sound or something else.

Rudy81...

Na it's several things... As I mentioned I took money away from my theater to do this. My theater is my baby, my pride and joy, my sanctuary it's become a part of me so to speak. Hell, I sacraficed my wrist to the theater gods (long story).

I just don't get much chance to listen to 2 channel all that much with 2 young children. I guess a lot of it is that I just am not getting the enjoyment out for the price I paid. Not because I don't like them, just that I don't get have many opportunities to enjoy them.

Moon:

Well, I can certainly understand that logic. What state are you in? I would love to have another Belle for a center channel instead of my Chorus II. However, I too can't swing it right now.

BTW, I have been following your thread on your HT. Before you commit on the wall fabric, please make sure you choose wisely. A bad match for your room acoustics can cause more problems than it's worth. I just finished building my acoustic absorbers and they have made a world of differance. My HT is not as custom as yours, I had to start with a room that was already there. So, I am doing things to control sound problems. My last project will be to make some bass traps to control room resonance.

My HT is my refuge too.

Good luck selling the Belles.

Rudy81

You may have to wait on that answer for a center speaker. I immediatly had someone send me a private message indicating they definitly wanted them.

I would like to keep thier name private for now to respect thier privacy. All I asked is that they give me 24 hours to make up my mind for sure. As I said to them, I am 95% positive on my decision.

Oh and I forgot to mention there is a spare K-33-E driver included in the price. Damn... that really is a sweet deal. Just hope I am not underselling them. But I already put a price on them so that's what I will sell them for.1.gif

As far as my theater goes, Yeah I am concerned about accoustics, but the nice thing about doing all this myself is that I can make changes as needed until I get it right. 10.gif

Moon

What about keeping the Belles for mains in your HT?

Then use the extra k33 for a custom center like I have. Put the woofer under the screen and the tweeter and Midrange over the screen, whatever - tons of options. We can help you design the center and wire it up.

A Heritage HT is the trully the ultimate. Your almost there Moon.

Sell your Klipsch reference to finish the HT project and replace the family money etc.

Seriously, consider this as an option, especially if the HT is your baby.

If you want to call me during your thinking period, let me know.

JM

The problem with using my belles as my fronts is that my theater room is too narrow. It's only 10 foot wide. I don't think I could fit all my equipment across the front wall. I would have two belles, my audio equipment, a center speaker, two subs...

Not to mention, I am just about to wear my wife out with all this audio stuff. I really need to just get my theater done and be happy. If I start thinking about moving my belles into my theater, I would then have to start worrying about what surrounds to use and this and that and my wife would probably have a kitten. She wants me to get this done so I can start concentrating on other things around the house.

Na, I really like the sound of my existing theater speakers. The only speaker I am planning on changing in my theater is my center from a RC7 to a RF7, then I am moving that RC7 to the back with my other rear RC7. Other than that, if I was to start chaning out speakers, I would replace my 4 RS7s with 4 RC7s. But I don't really plan on that either.

I appreciate the offer for help greatly though. 1.gif

----------------

On 4/24/2003 5:31:04 PM NOZ wrote:

KEEP THE BELLES.....

----------------

You guys ever see the movie "Love Potion #9" with Sandra Bullok and what ever that other guys name is? If so, then you might recall that scene where he is sitting in the police station (I think it was) and when the gal came walking buy he had to cover his ears and start blurting out

"Bla ba la alala baa ohhh lalalala blah blah blah" so he could not hear her voice? Remember that? That is what I am going to do here 9.gif2.gif

Na NOZ, I really need to just sell them. I look at it this way, I will get much more pleasure out of the money I get back from selling them than I would by keeping them.

Not to mention, all you guys that are trying to talk me into keeping them, your making that someone who wants them very squirmish right now 9.gif

----------------

On 4/24/2003 5:39:51 PM m00n wrote:

Not to mention, all you guys that are trying to talk me into keeping them, your making that someone who wants them very squirmish right now
9.gif

----------------

There is a reason he is getting squirmish -- he knows what you are giving up!!

Moon

The room you are building, are the componts in a closet, with an open end one way? My uncle just build one and he put all of his componets on a home made rack built in the wall. You walked behind the wall and opened a door and there was all of the back of the componets. It was awsome and I would recomand it to anybody. Any good pictures of this room, it sounds neat.

----------------

On 4/24/2003 6:05:23 PM easylistener wrote:

Any good pictures of this room, it sounds neat.

----------------

Yeah click the link in my signature. There are pics of the room pre-construction and construction pics. The very last pic is how it looks now minus the black paint I put on the walls and ceiling last weekend. Got two more coats of black paint this weekend.

I hear you mOOn

I agree with you 100%, ive been told, try this try that, do this, do that, buy this, buy that, now im like BLOW ME LOL!

I am selling my conrad johnson, and some other thing on the internet right now, and am also ganna start saving some, 4 k-horns, im done PERIOD!

Even without H/T, now if the new Reference is price reasonable, i might think about it, one last time, as of now NO!

Regards Jim9.gif

----------------

On 4/24/2003 6:13:09 PM NOSValves wrote:

Moon,

I have come to the conclusion you are nuts !! But then we all are
9.gif

----------------

Ok, you guys forced me to it, here is the icing on the cake that may help you guys fully understand my position on this decision. 1.gif

While I really liked the high and midrange requencies, I never really liked the low frequency aspects of the belles. My expectations were incredibly high when I was waiting for them. I could hardly wait. Over the course of the last month or so that I have had them, I have been trying to force myself into believing that I was 100% happy my purchase. That simply has not been the case. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a wonderful speaker, but I have simply not been as happy as I thought I would be, especially considering the cost of them. While these may be the cats meow to some, they have not been to me and I think I would be just as happy if not happier if I took that same money and put it towards my theater. Something I will get 100 times more use out of and appreciation from.

Now to be fair, perhaps I have not heard them to thier full potiential due to placement or the correct gear to push them with. If that's the case, there is nothing I can do about those two factors.

Maybe some day in the future I will be in a setting where I can have better placement and have nice tube gear, but right now I don't have that luxery.

As you guys always say, "It depends on what sounds good to you". There will always be another day and another set of belles on eBay. 2.gif

I still say your nuts 2.gif Your losing $300 selling them. The fact of the matter is you got yourself in to deep and jumped before thinking of the details. You would need better amplification, The room you had them in that I seen was horrible the speakers way to close together. You may not like the sound but the only reason you don't like the sound is you never gave them a chance to sound good. I'm sorry but I hate a waste and this was all a waste.

Craig

Craig

That's harsh. Regardless of it being a waste or not, know this. I learned a LOT over the last few months by dealing with these belles. What's wastefull about that?! 11.gif

Furthermore, how was I ever to know unless I tried? It's better to try and fail than to never try at all in my opinion.