Selling my Belles... I said I would give you guys first crack.

m00n

Moon - I've been following your saga from a distance and I'm sorry things didn't work out. I'm really impressed with the progress of your theatre. It's going to be amazing when completed! Have you ever considered buying a pair of cornwalls? You'd have about a grand left over after selling the belles and your need for bass may be a little more fulfilled (maybe a lot more). Anyway, best of luck in whatever you do. You make for great reading and we're all pulling for you.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell I'm the biggest loon of them all !! I must have 20 amps sitting here and what's really funny is my wife thinks there all customers amps 1.gif

Moon,

You need to chill. If you would just go back and look at the roller coaster ride you took thru this hole process you might start to see my point or was it BS 2.gif Heck you emailed me twice in less then a week asking me what amps I had for sale !! Then never bought anything from any where.

Craig

Craig...

Fair enough. That is true I friggen pegged this 2 channel forum for weeks getting as much info as possible. You have been great help and I do appreciate every reply every person has made. I really do! So, I can see your point. Just was not expecting to have someone put a mirror in my face to see what a pain in the *** I have been.4.gif

It's all good Craig, sorry I got pissy with you man! 30.gif Just been kinda a hard decision to make. Very torn because I know these can sound better in a different environment, but there is just not much I can do about it in our house. That and as I have said, my wife is very insistant about NO ugly gear on our entertainment center.

Maybe cornwalls will grace thier presence in my living room. I happen to know where of a pair sitting in someones garage. BUT, I will definitly listen to those first2.gif

Good luck to you m00n guy! Don't sweat the small change. I remember a belle I tried out about 30 years ago and that experience cost me more than $300. Pardon me now while I lean back and reflect on the experience. 3.gif

Keith

----------------

On 4/24/2003 10:49:48 PM NOSValves wrote:

Sounds to me like the wife has to go !!!!!! Keep the Bells dump the wife sounds perfect to me !! Tube amps are the ultimate in cool looking gear !!

----------------

Hey when we had our huge blow out, the thought was definilty going through my mind.11.gif9.gif

I agree with the tube gear, some of it is awesome looking.

Yo m00n,

I gotta ask as an Air Force guy...where did the "steelie eyed missile man" quote come from? Just curious--was it from a movie or are you a former missileer?

Anyhow, whatever man...if theater is your bag go for it. Someday when the market recovers and were all rich again you can buy Belles once more or whatever. They will be around for years to come. As long your having fun, who cares?

Mike

Man Craig, you PMSing or something?

I think m00n is pretty cool. He goes completely out on a limb trying the Belles, and now he just doesn't feel like sawing the limb off while he's sitting on it. Damn, give him credit -- a lot of trouble just to see what they would be like. As far as I know, he is the only person besides me to do it -- just to see.

The Belles didn't drop his jaw -- and you all just can't believe it!! I think it's hilarious.

If I had the money for another set of RF-7's -- the Cornwalls would be GONE! It'll be another 6 months before I get the Cornwalls to a point where they can even step into the ring with the RF-7's. Hard to believe? Maybe for you Heritage loons who have only heard RF-7's on 2nd rate HT receivers. I think Chris Robinson is the only person to have heard them on anything decent (Leo's Moondogs).

Go ahead and tell the truth m00n -- tell everyone how those little wanna be horns just kick the sh!t out of those Belles.

I wouldn't change out the RC-7 -- any money you manage to scrub together should go towards upgrading your receiver to separates. You'll also need a little extra so I can build those new crossovers for your RF-7's.9.gif

----------------

On 4/24/2003 11:19:40 PM NOSValves wrote:

Oh now were getting the truth your selling them to get yourself out of the dog house hmmmmm Old Moon is getting tired of rosey palm and the five sisters huh !!

----------------

Oh hell no... Rosie has been a good ol faithful friend, never *****es complains, never has a headache, never tired 2.gif

Moon,

First let me say congratulations on the near completion of your HT.

Fine work, my friend.

I've been following your progress from day one.

You've done a hell of a job.

I've been working on mine for about 6 months and i've barely got the insulation hanging.

Finding spare time is harder than finding replacement K-8-Ks for my KG4s.4.gif

Bummer about your Belles.

But a mans' gotta do, what a mans' gotta do.

They'll be other Belles in other days.

Trust that.2.gif

Just don't become like me, where can you keep every peice of equipment, pair of speakers, and audio do-hicky, that you lay your hands on.

I'm running outta room over here.9.gif

Regards,

John.

----------------

On 4/24/2003 11:06:17 PM MBM135 wrote:

Yo m00n,

I gotta ask as an Air Force guy...where did the "steelie eyed missile man" quote come from? Just curious--was it from a movie or are you a former missileer?

Mike

----------------

LOL... Yeah I was wondering if anyone was ever going to catch that. It's a quote from Apollo 13. That scene were they create that makeshift air scrubber thing because they running high on the carbon monoxide. One guy turns to another guy and says "And you sir, are a steelie eyed missle man"

Dean,

The only reason you like the RF-7's is they can tone down that Headache giving so called music you listen too 1.gif I have absolutely no hesitation to think that with the groups that you listen to the RF-7 would sound better as would my RF-3's but any music Rock or otherwise that actually has some kind of detail and is not one big slam of mass distortion will and does sound way better on Heritage speakers with the right amplification. You know as well as me the K-horns , Bells and Lascalas can be some serious ear bleeders if not properly placed with proper amplification they are just to accurate and bring out the absolute worst in the chain. The RF-7 speakers were completely designed to be forgiving of less then stellar Solid State amps but in turn are less accurate and articulate. I have many a poorly recorded CD I can play on my RF-3's but can not stand to listen to on my Lascalas because there capable of showing just how bad the recording is its funny that these same recording sound fine in my pickup truck with a AC Delco system LOL !!!!!

If Moon would of actually put some descent power to those speakers I would not be so hard on him. He didn't do anything short of fixing broken parts to see what they are capable of and now I know why the wife wouldn't let him. Read between the lines Dean.

You should quit making assumptions when you have never heard properly powered Khorns, Bells or Lascalas ! Any descent speaker will sound horrible with music like Chevelle and 90% of the hard rock produced today. They mix that music to play on boom boxes and computers !!

Craig

m00n:

I hate to say it, but I also thing you have the right idea. I had La Sacala's when I met my wife. When we moved into our first house, they sounded like Cra* in the small room, so we sold them & found some Heresy's. Best thing I ever did, since she hated the Las anyway (too ugly), & the Heresy's sounded GREAT in the little room.

Later, when we moved into another (bigger) house, she was re-decorating & had mentioned we needed some new end-tables. So we compromised. I got Belle's to deal with the WAF, and put them where she wanted the end tables. They have been with me since 1984.

...... there will be another time 1.gif

A couple of thoughts come to mind whenever Dean posts about Heritage.

Dean does listen to some nasty music most people would not want to hear very clearly. His Rf7's are well suited to this purpose.

Dean does need someone else to join his 'flavor of the month (week?)" club so certainly he would desire Moon to continue making impulsive purchases and cycle through equipment more frequently than he needs to shave.

Dean feels compelled to put down Heritage as a review of his posts show he went over the top denouncing Heritage without hearing it and then ate crow after listening to his first set of Heritage speakers.

Dean's beloved RF7's had to undergo surgery in order to meet his discerning ear although he praised them to no end prior to said surgery. I believe you claimed they were the 'cats meow' only to turn around and have them neutered.

Dean has stated he has a fine appreciation for cheap, bookshelf speakers so his ear and judgement must be questioned.

Given he spends his weekends surrounded by multitudes of computers and the accompanying fan noise, it should be no surprise his ability to discern the greatness of Heritage versus the cacophony of sound produced by his mass-market, targeted-to-the-neophytes-of-the-audio-world RF7's is significantly impaired.

9.gif

On a serious note, no one reprimanded Moon for not 'liking' his Belles. They advised him he had yet to experience them the way they should be. Of course, Moon has valid reasons and other goals at this point so he can not be blamed for going in a different direction; we can just point out he is fickle and impulsive like another one of our board members.

PS. Figured I would steer the topic away from busting on Moon. 11.gif

Well Moon - you need a little more support so here goes --

I tend to agree on the Belle LF (we must share the same ears from different parents). My old Khorns fit the bill much better. I never could get quite the same sound from Belles or LS - especially in a smaller room. If I augment with a sub, I tend to the Heresy. Go with your ears and thanks for being so inquisitive.

Having said this - My near perfect setup for the front HT/music would be a couple of Khorns and a Belle center (since my HT would include a sub). If I had to chose between Belles and heresy for Two channel (subless) - I would go with the Belles.

I want to make it clear how confused I am....

Oh now were getting the truth your selling them to get yourself out of the dog house hmmmmm Old Moon is getting tired of rosey palm and the five sisters huh !!

I wasn't going to go there but since you did, I think you hit it on the head. Moon, put your foot down and give it to her the way it is.11.gif9.gif

Just giveing you a hard time, good luck!2.gif

Ya know, where ever I go, I always seem to find myself stirring up controversy. 12.gif

All the comments both the positive and the kick in the *** from Craig has been very well appreciated. Even though I didn't care much for what Craig said at first, I have come to appreciate his points a great deal.

I am a very hard person to follow, and yes I can be very fickle. But that fickle comes from lack of knowledge and from so many opinions and choices you get here on the board. Is the grass greener on the other side of that fence?

In my experience with the belles I have not in any way shape or form abandoned heritage speakers, oh no, just the opposite. I come to greatly appreciate their sound. I will get another pair of heritage. Perhaps cornwalls. I know those are NOT officially considered heritage, but many like to associate them when heritage. I just happen to know someone who has a pair in my area. The guy was the original owner, he babied them. Lost part of his hearing because of an on the job ordeal and sold them. Apparently the guy who bought them has never hooked them up, they have been sitting boxed up in his garage for years. I have been told that the cornwall is a much more forgiving speaker as far as placement goes. I may very well take a look into those.

m00ns odyssey for audio bliss is not yet over... Stay tuned.2.gif

PS. Anarchist, na, no way am I going to join Dean in his flavor of the month club. Don't have the time nor the patience from the wife. Sorry Dean but your on your own there man!9.gif