Klipsch Moving Coil Phono cartridge

lynnm

I know these were produced around the early eighties. As I remember they were a very nice cartridge. When I went stereo shopping with my Dad in the early eighties, he opted for a Signet MM cart. instead, but I don't remeber if it was due to sound quality or if he didn't want to mess with the added transformer. Maybe someone else could elaborate a little more.

I have a Klipsch brochure about these phono pickups. Best I can tell, it looks like its dated May 82. The line consisted of four models. All moving coil types.

MCZ-2 had an aluminum cantilever. MSRP $215.

MCZ-7 had an boron cantilever. MSRP $375.

MCZ-10 had a ruby cantilever. MSRP $325.

MCZ-110 had an diamond cantilever. MSRP $1000.

They all had a unique double damping system & silver coated copper wire coil. They were made in Japan & had contact line stylus. At about the same time, Mark Levinson had a phono pickup out that looked almost exactly like the Klipsch. Around this same time is when Klipsch showed up at a CES Show for the first time in many years, this time with all ML electronics, a Linn TT sporting the Klipsch pickup in a Linn arm.

post-10840-1381924723565_thumb.jpg

These pics are from a large fold out brochure, These first two are the left & right inside covers.

post-10840-1381924723683_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

One of the Klipsch cartridges, perhaps the Boron, had a nice, smooth, gentle little high end rise from 10 KHz to 20 KHz. reaching about + 5 dB at 16 KHz, and dealers whispered that it provided good EQ for the version of the K-77 that was in the Klipschorn, Belle, LaScala, Cornwall, and even Heresy in those days. The cartridge was bright, but sweet, with rich bass as well.

I heard that one, with Klipschorns, and it sounded great, better than the Ortofons I was in love with, and better than the Shure V15 -V on everything but the most ridiculously overcut records. With the Klipsch (Boron model?) good records sounded better! There was some hope that the Klipsch and a few other fine cartridges would vastly improve bad recordings, but, no, crappy records were still crap. The one constant in the industry is the ability to produce a number of recordings that sound terrible on any equipment -- how do these ever get out of the factory?

• 16 years later...

I had a Klipsch Ruby installed on my turntable in the early 90's. A fellow at a place called the The Stereo Chamber in Orchard Park, NY pulled it out of a closet and dusted it off and charged me $150 bucks for the install and cartridge. It turned out to be absolutely beautiful sounding. Very warm and detailed and the vocals were amazingly life like. That turntable is long gone along with the Ruby and I am actively searching out another. I just thought I might share.

• Like 2