Newbies...

Deang

...those either new to the forum, or new to audio:

When asking for general advice, or seeking a recommendation or opinion on a component, please help us do a better job for you by telling us: Your room size and characteristics, associated equipment, musical tastes and listening habits. Thanks!

Dean, this is an idea whose time has come: we should write up a "newbie FAQ" for our new forum members, addressing all of the usual "beat to death" topics.

Another possibility would be to post (and stick to the top) some "pre-qualifying questions" in each forum area, explaining that section of the forum and the basics we need to know to answer the usual questions that arise.

We all could probably agree on those prequalifying questions easier than a full blown FAQ, but I figure that either would be very helpful.

I started one about a month ago. I broke it into the normal questions we usually see here. When I complete my part, I will generate a a new topic for it called: 2-Channel Forum FAQ's

What I would then like to do is to have everyone who is interested begin adding their input to the thread. They would simply email me the addtion, and then I would edit the thread and make the addtion to associated FAQ section.

I will also be searching the forum (God help me), looking for those jewels. I will add them in as well.

Anyone wishing to contribute should understand that because of the various opinions regarding the various subjects, there might be some contradictory information in the thread. It is important that we don't become dogmatic. Better to state your opinion and why -- and leave it at that.

Any suggestions to make this a better idea are certainly welcome --

I would also appreciate the technically gifted making some contributions.

Hmmm. Good point. I was just going to add things to the thread, and leave it 'as is'. We could tweak the thread as we go along. Maybe we do need some kind of collective governing process.

Might be best just to let the 'Solder Slingers of the Roundtable' handle the technical stuff (Leo, Eric, Lynnm, MarkD, you, etc) -- you guys usually agree with each other on the electrical stuff. I could have some general titles, and anyone interested could contribute to it at their leisure. This might work, because someone like me certainly doesn't have any interest in answering a question entitled: "Why are my tubes oozing green stuff and shooting blue sparks all over the room?"1.gif

My thoughts were centered more on 'sound'. 'Why I like this over that and why' kind of thing. There is not usually a 'right' or 'wrong' with this -- just an opinion based on some general experience and listening.

Look at the AVSforum for an example of member generated FAQ's that stick at the top of boards. All that is needed is to generate links to the strong threads that have been written in the past.

For example: FAQ="Cornwalls vs LaScalas" Links to interesting discussion threads in the past are then listed below the FAQ.

When topics have controversial answers the thread(s) will contain the debate.

The FAQ writing becomes a search and organize effort.

You could also try to write a summary and include links for more info.

Mobile/Kelly posted a tube pre-amp recommendation thread with pictures that is an excellent example of a thread that should be linked under a FAQ.

We also need to know:

-padding manufacturer and thickness under carpet

-results from hearing test in the past 2 years

-average relative humidity

identified with your indiginious geography

-type of cat litter used in the household

-how many days per year does your mother in law resides in your home

-wifes menstrual cycle data(is PMS a walk in the park or a Stephen King movie)

The more info we get; the better us unpiad consultants can kick major booty on the recommendations!

We also need to know:

-padding manufacturer and thickness under carpet

-results from hearing test in the past 2 years

-average relative humidity

identified with your indiginious geography

-type of cat litter used in the household

-how many days per year does your mother in law resides in your home

-wifes menstrual cycle data(is PMS a walk in the park or a Stephen King movie)

The more info we get; the better us unpiad consultants can kick major booty on the recommendations!

As a newbie I think a SIMPLE faq section would work o.k. as long as it wasn't too indepth. One would think that it may have to be broken up into a 2 channel section and a HT section. If you poor knowledgeable experts are asked the same question 50 or 100 times it would become a candidate for the FAQ thus saving you a lot of hassle. Some questions I've seen discussed here are already answered on the Klipsch site. (ie: What bi-amping and bi-wiring are) So the problem may be getting people to read through the FAQ before asking a dumb question. What questions I have asked on this forum were quickly addressed and although it may seem to you like "Here we go again with THAT question" it really makes an impression to have a personable answer as opposed to searching and clicking trying to find the BEST fitting answer to your problem. Just my humble opinion. Thanks for listening. Sayles9.gif

deang & kjohnsonhp,

Very good ideas. A moderator or flter of some kind would probably be necessary, otherwise the FAQ section would soon look like the "home Audio Equip" subdirectory of my hard disk or, worse yet, this forum.

leok

LOL -- hmmm...good point as well.

Well, it would have to be a 'work in progress'. I also see Sayles point about it becoming so big and convoluted that one might decide not to bother with it, and just ask the simple question anyways.

I do like the idea of working with the search (for what the worthless thing is worth), and finding the best threads where the most asked questions are asked and answered -- and just copy them into the thread.

I suppose we could really use the Webmasters help here to give it a nice clean look. For some reason, copied links into a post, when clicked, don't load properly.