SVS PC+ 20-39 or HSU VTF-3???

LoLo

LoLo, These are both good choices. I can only speak for the Hsu VTF-3 though because it is what I own. I am completely satisified with it's performance and chose this particular sub on reviews and that it was the perfect size and shape for where it HAD to go.I have no other place to put a sub, and the SVS was too tall. (I looked at the PB1 also and it was a tad too wide.) The Hsu went way beyond what I expected. Clean,low and POWERFUL. Needless to say, I am a very satisfied customer. My house, pictures, shelves and furnishings couldn't take much more! As you have probably seen, SVS are very highly regarded here at this BB and are the popular choice. I have no doubt that these are fantastic as well. I have dealt with both SVS and Hsu and both companies were professional and quick to reply. You couldn't go wrong with either of them.

I was flip flopping for months on these two myself, but new furnishings and arangement made the choice for me.

You are choosing between two fine subs...A win-win situation as far as I am concerned!

Take care

Mike

I have the 20-39PC+ and I have owned three subs and demoed around 10 others. The SVS blew away the competition...although the HSU wasnt one of them so I cannot truely compare them. The SVS rules my roost.

Performance is damn close,do you like a cylinder(CS/PC-Plus)or box(VTF3)

If you have trouble deciding use the tried and tested COIN TOSS!

2.gif

You cannot lose here

Well if it was up to me to decide I can tell you I'll go SVS,even the cylinder because of the superb TC Sounds woofer used.1.gif

Yep - this is a can't lose situation. Either choice will leave you smiling and congratulating yourself on smart use of your money. I listened to both SVS and the VTF 3 and stayed with the SVS 20 - 39 PCi. The reason at the time? - Simply not enough difference between the two to justify a $300 price difference for the HSU.

Cheers - don't hesitate and get a new subwoofer. When your lips are touching the bottom of your ears you will know it was the right call...

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 5/14/2003 1:56:05 AM ennessex wrote:

Where could you possibly hear some SVS subwoofers before buying them?

----------------

Since SVS is an internet direct company, it means they make it and sell it straight to you. This is great because it cuts the middle man's markup but the downside is most have to buy off other's recommendations. With that said, there's plenty of objective performance to get an idea of how they compare to other subwoofers though.

Check out www.audioenvy.com to see if there' are users around you. If you have no luck there, simply make a post asking if there's someone in your area that will let you demo theres.

My humble 2.1 set-up (it's on it's way as we speak):

Apple Dual Processor 1.42 Ghz Powermac, 2 Gigs, RAM; 120Gigs HD memory; Radeon 9700 Pro video card; M-audio Revolution 7.1 sound card; M-audio Co2 digital-to-optical converter; Klipsch DD-5.1 decoder/pre-amp; a set of Mackie HR624 self-powered (140W) studio monitors; Hsu VTF-3 subwoofer (250W self-powered).

oh, and a 20" LCD Apple Cinema Display.

yeah, I find the structure magnet of the VTF-3 very impressive. I really dont know why the magnet is so massive for that type of woofer... its weight is 2 times bigger than the one found in the Shiva Mark III woofer (60 oz for the Shiva and 130 for the VTF-3). During the last week, I just took in my hand the Shiva Mark III and oh boy, I was surprised to see how much less it weights compared to the VTF-3! However you cannot rely only on the structure magnet to judge the performance of a woofer... I think that the Shiva Mark III can even be stronger but I dont know, I didnt have an occasion to hear it. Im sure that Dustin can tell me anyway 2.gif

Hey pincette de feu! ... 2.gif The large magnet is "supposed" to represent a strong motor structure, but I think some manufactures will overkill sometimes to give the client the impression that it is an "all out" woofer with no cut corners... when in reality there are many factors which will dictate the performance

In a way, I think it's a little like chromed cast woofer baskets and brushed metal cones, etc...

• 5 weeks later...