Lets see your turntables

robforst1

Do I win a prize for the oldest turntable on the board? You may scoff at this Swiss-made antique but it's the rig that finally got me over the top to audio nirvana. I was a confirmend Linnie until I started fooling around with the TD-124/SME about 12 years ago and I will NEVER go back!

post-3408-13819247544352_thumb.jpg

I have never owned a MK2--the main difference is that the platter isn't cast iron--some say this is an improvement, but I don't know. I've also heard that the MK1 motors are better, more heavy-duty. I don't think you can really go wrong with a 124 if you find one in well-maintained condition. THey might be tanks, but they make BEAUTIFUL music!

Cornwall Day0006.jpg

This is a Technics SL-1600MK2 from around 1980. It was Technics top or the line at the time. Around $450.00.

Cornwall Day0009.jpg

Quartz Synthesizer Direct Drive Fully-Automatic System. Micro-Computer Control and Muting Circuit. An automatic muting circuit cuts off output from the cartridge whenever the arm is picked up or set down either by the automatic mechanism or the cueing control. This avoids irritating shock noises.

Automatic Infrared Disc Size Sensor

Pop-Up Stylus Illuminator

High-Sensitivity(7mg) Low-Mass(12g) Tonearm with a precision gimbal suspension and adjustable arm height.

Wow and Flutter(0.025%)WRMS:rumble an inaudible -78db DIN B.

My Pictures for e-mail0007.jpg

This was the first piece of stereo equipment I bought for myself in 1980. It`s not your high end stuff but I find it very nostalgic.

Yes Gary, I`ve seen pictures of the 1800. They are for the most part the same table. The 1600 could be from `79.I bought it new from some mail order stereo discounter warehouse in 1980. There`s just something about a Technics turntable and a Steely Dan record spinning on it that`s so right. And by the way Sunnysal, that`s a nice looking Luxman. Very `70`s.

----------------

On 6/3/2003 5:17:55 PM middlecreekguy wrote:

Yes Gary, I`ve seen pictures of the 1800. They are for the most part the same table. The 1600 could be from `79.I bought it new from some mail order stereo discounter warehouse in 1980. There`s just something about a Technics turntable and a Steely Dan record spinning on it that`s so right. And by the way Sunnysal, that`s a nice looking Luxman. Very `70`s.

----------------

Lots of Steely Dan played on the 1800 over the years. Also, gotta love the strobe.

Here is a photo of my Technics SL-DL5 Linear Tracking Turntable with the Gimbal Suspension System. I have a P-Mount Shure cartridge with the highest quality stylus for it. I don't know where these old tables fall in as far as quality playback, but it sounds pretty good. I had a Denon DP-37F for awhile in the late 80's with a real nice Audio-Technica cartridge and a hyper-elliptical stylus, I always wanted one of the awesome Denon DP-59L's or 61L not sure it was the one with the beautiful rosewood base and it had the three colored square LED's on the left front side. I just don't use it often enough to justify purchasing a nicer one. Would it even be worth putting a top notch cartridge in if they still make top notch P-mount cartridges?

Chris,

Thanks for the favorable words on the Scout. The Champion was on my short list until VPI announced the Scout. I knew I was walking into yet unproven territory at the time, but VPI came through big time with this product.

Klipsch out.

PS. I've been also using a Linn felt mat on the platter without the clamp as suggested by Art Dudley in his review of the Scout in Stereophile. It's a good cheap tweak.