Hey, guess what Bose stands for?

cdsang

I dont understand why everyone hates bose, I heard the cube speakers at a buddys house and i thought they sounded really good. Are they really that bad? I swear i dont own anything bose but is it possible that people dont like them because they are expensive?

Are Bose really that bad? -- that's the question. In my opinion, it is no longer sporting to attack Bose b/c the company offers itself up as such an easy target. Let me just say this much. I have a friend who has the Bose Acoustimass 10 system (5 cube satellites and that "bass module" -- not a subwoofer, mind you!). I would say that his system sounded slightly better than low-end home-theatre-in-a-box. The bass in particular was bad. Imaging -- not good. Projection -- weak. I am not just saying this b/c I am posting on a Klipsch forum, but my Quintets are superior, I mean superior to the Bose. If you know someone who is considering buying the Bose cubes, please (please!) get them to listen to the Quintets. You would be surprised by the difference b/n the two (or maybe not!). At some point in time, Bose probably made good speakers and I know they do offer some good speakers currently, but those cubes really are an inferior product, especially when compared to the Quintets or the Energy Take-Fives (another compact but good quality system).

omg - andre u are about to open a whole barrel of worms with that question.

just go to a search engine, like google, and type in "bose sucks" - u will surely get websites upon websites full of information and evidence as to why bose truly suck as a speaker manufacturer.

Is Bose really that bad? yes...

Considering the fact that the cute little cubes use transducers the size and composition that you would find in your telephone... yes, your telephone. And, their 'bass module' is lame... it uses 5.25" drivers. I will not talk down on little speakers' bass much anymore.... my KG-2.5's just blew me away when powered by a tube amp... but 5.25" is a tad too small for bass. It is a pseudo horn thingy, folded that is, and is not good for much... the sub goes down MAYBE to 40Hz on a good day, and up to 200Hz (should be MUCH lower...), whereas their cubes can VARELY reach 200Hz, and only have a high end reach to about 10KHz to be mostly linear. After that, they get all funny and roll off quickly. The 901's are almost a good effort by Dr. Amar Bose... almost. His use of all those drivers, what are they- 4-inchers? Like I said- ALMOST an effort. Maybe as 5.25" or 6.5"... but... Now, he has good ideas, though. I plan on using some spare drivers (2x3" midbass, 2x3/4" tweeter, 1x6.5" woofer) in a folded enclosure much like the wave radio... but, mine will be better. I am folding the horn and making it corner loaded... If I ever get around to building that is. In short, Bose just doesn't do well... They can sound OK at lower levels... but nothing compared to any good system.

The Bose "direct/reflecting" floor speakers are a sick joke. For $900 list, the 701's are the most midrangy, no-definition piece of crap I've ever listened to. The SF-2's absolutely crush them for $250 cheaper.

Dr. Bose may have had some good ideas, but his marketing team was by far the best weapon in his arsenal...

My big rip against Bose isn't as much to do with the speakers themselves - but what they charge for them.

It is commonly known amongst those who have done serious listening tests of Bose vs. other comparably priced products, that Bose stuff costs the most for the sound you get. Almost ANY comparably priced kit will CRUSH them in sound quality - and I can say that as a blanket statement, with very few exceptions. No one charges more for a given level of performance (which is, admittedly, not very good) than Bose does.

So why do people select Bose?? For starters, it is THE most recognizable name in speakers due to Bose's very extensive, and expensive, marketing scheme. As a former audio salesperson, Bose was the easiest to sell because folks knew the name....and would be MORE than willing to pay extra because of it. When Bose first hit the market with the Acoustimass systems, audio stores could not keep them in stock, and in fact, we often had these sold as backorders. These were an audio retailer's wet dream......I know of no item that sold as quickly, and as profitably, as these.

I always looked at Bose as a classic example of modern American business - very often, style over substance. Sure they look good, and that draws people in to look - but is there any serious level of performance behind the pretty face? Can you say "superficial"???? Much like Frank Zappa's "Valley Girl", she looks good and dresses in fashion, but when you look inside, "there's a whole buncha nothin' in there".

Check out this Bose review (many of you have probably already seen this one):

http://www.intellexual.net/boseframes.html

You know what the other somewhat disturbing thing is: Bose owners remain committed to the product/company, even if you (politely) try to tell them that, well, Bose sucks. I think it is b/c they spend a relatively larger sum of money and therefore talk themselves into liking the system. I suppose the only real value in the Bose cubes is for those who absolutely need extremely small speakers to address space issues.

As for the whole reflecting sound principle, I once thought it was perhaps an intriguing concept in that the system operated in such a manner as to really fill out a room with sound. But then I spoke w/ someone who said that it's a horrible idea b/c soundtracks are never recorded and engineered to have its sounds bounced off walls before it hits the listener. Rather, sound is recorded and engineered to directly meet the listener -- dipolars are the exception but work w/ excellent results for surround effects. But I think that Bose tries to make every position (center, front, rear) dipolar, which is not ammenable to good audio.

And if you ever look at the manual for the Bose Acoustimass, you quickly realize that the foresaid is true: it tells the owner to try to deflect as much sound off walls so as to "fill out" the room. That is troublesome b/c what you end up w/ is the same sounds hitting the listener at different times.

And the manual recommends a crossover of 200hz(!!!). Sweet mother of God! That's silly, not least b/c you don't want that "bass module" handling that much of a frequency range.

Ok, I could go on and on, but most of all I feel sorry for people who get hoodwinked into spending that much on a system that gets easily outperformed by systems 2/3 the price.

I use to believe that BOSE was the SYSTEM and nothing else would be like it..TILL I heard my father's new ht gear and I was mortified that and I'm still in disbelief that I bought all those speakers not knowing that there is alot better system out there( father's gear:all klipsch rf-5 speakers and rsw-12 sub..denon reciever and 55 inch rear projection tv)

I still have BOSE center channel and 161 surround,But glad to say that I currently have rf-15 loudspeaker fronts and rsw10 subs and kinda saving up for bookshelve surround for the back .....But I'm sad to say that i'm not saving fast enough cuz ONE thing i'm in the military and pay SUCKS real bad and I gotta EAT you know

14.gif

"HOW ABOUT BUY OTHER STEREO EQUIPMENT!!!"

We have a winner folks Buy Other Stereo Equipment YES This is a winner

B0$e is not only very overpriced but most of their speakers have no real bass,no dynamics,colored and undefined midrange and rolled off upper range.Garbage construction,trash can style speaker baskets and Direct Repulsive combined with Acoustic Me$$ bass modules produce horrendous unrealsitic sound.Irritating to any trained ear

B0$e is plain garbage,OVERPRICED garbage.Most B0$e owners do not know better,poor them.

Just listen to inexpensive Klipsch RF7's powered by a quality amp,listen to Dynaudio Contour speakers or any true high quality speakers.Its NIGHT and DAY

Any company that uses anything less then a 8" woofer in a so called sub is to be avoided.Serious subs use at least 12" woofers with very high linear.5.25" woofer in a sub!? What dumb a$$ did label these distorting one note POS sub?

I have a Bose AM-10 system that we got about 6 years ago. My parents love how little it is, but to me it has always sounded terrible in "tone defeat Pro logic/THX cinema" mode. So I've been wanting to get the RF7s for a while, and if and when I do, I'll be able to do a true A/B comparison, as I can hook up the RF7s to speaker B. I do hope they blow away the bose, as everyone keeps posting on these and other boards..