Dope From Hope Ready for Download

Like I said at the start, it's very nicely done... and the scans are very clear. With ±250pgs of reading material, I feel it's well worth the price of a couple of movie rentals?

Apart from the actual cost of scanning it (which by the way, Justin did for the forum members only... as he already has a copy), he also paid for his original copy, his bandwidth that we continue to use every time we download it, and his time the shop for the best price for us. The least we can do is make sure he covers his cost?

I've read about 150pgs of it so far... and I have to say that there is something for every one. The original "dope from hope" letters are brief giving a quick "salemans" overview of each subject. There are a series of photocopies of older brochures and magazine reviews. And then there are the technical white papers written by Klipsch covering the theory and mathematics behind the designs.

Get your copy today... 1.gif

Rob

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be prepared when you do print it, it took about 45 minutes to an hour on a HP 5000N Laser Printer. High speed connection download time was around 5 mins or so. The link is not readily available on the site Justin will have to provide it to you. It fills a 1 1/2" D ring binder to capacity, I am getting ready to dig into some of the data. Thanks Justin!

If you would like a copy of the Dope from Hope article, email me, justin@soundwise.org. I can mail you a copy but it will cost around $15.00 at least (cost to print it, cost to ship it). I made no money off of this, being a Klipsch fan costs me $140 a year just for my bandwidth, domain, webspace, etc. That does not even count the money I spend on ProMedia systems just so that I know them well enough to help people (though I do enjoy playing with them).

The asking donation is only $5.00, skip that Cafe Latte tomorrow morning, not good for that belly anyways, and get the Dope from Hope.

----------------

On 10/1/2003 2:12:07 PM fini wrote:

$5 is cheap for Dope these days.

fini
----------------

I pay $25 a gram...

Seriously though. 1.gif When i was doing the mailing of the CD and for some, the actual, physical papers, I just loved getting letters with a check or cash inside with the note, "Thanks for the dope Justin! I have been waiting for this a long time. It should help out a lot".

Just hope the USPS never tracks me down and thinks something ill of me 1.gif

----------------

On 6/27/2003 9:22:49 AM artto wrote:

I already tried to contact a number of the organizations that own the copyrights to this material and they never responded. I also researched the copyright laws. All of these documents are, techically speaking, as far as the law is concerned, copyrighted.

----------------

I hold several registered copyrights. The term is the authors lifetime plus 50 years.

Your suppose to get permission from the rightfull owner. That would depend on if Paul owned them or Klipsch and Assoc and how Paul distributed his estate. Probably Ms Valerie technically owns them today and probably does not know it.

Personally if I were hosting them, I would not charge for them just in case and would try a best effort and document searching for the rightfull owner.

I would doubt anything would come of this since it is mostly for knowledge of enthusiasts.

JM

The mandatory $5.00 donation is quite reasonable, but donation means "that which is given as a present; that which is transferred to another gratuitously; a gift.

Or legally, the act or contract by which a person voluntarily transfers the title to a thing of which be is the owner, from himself to another, without any consideration, as a free gift.

2.gif

I have never MADE people pay me, I asked for a donation, if you were to email me, and be kind and not demand a link, I would send it to you. You must understand, it costs me money to host the file, it is not a small file and if I put it on my site, which has had over 2 million visits in a year, I would be off of my server, I have exceeded my bandwidth before and it was NOT pretty.

Why even try to put me in a bad place about copy rights? I am trying to do people a favor, it was a lot of work to get this done, I am just about to quit this bulletin board all together, I get nothing out of it, I only spend my time helping other people. If this keeps up, soundwise.org will be gone and so will my presence here. I am sure some of you guys would be all the happier, your loss because who else would do this stuff for you guys? There are VERY few on this bulletin board and everyday the list seems to dwindle even more.

While it is a nice thing that you have treated me like an adult for the entire time I have been here, you should know that I am still now only a freshman in college. I am not a 45 year old with a six figure income, I am not married, I do not even have a job any more. I go to school, I take time out of my studies and out of my free time to post on this bulletin board and work finally be able to update SoundWise but with the way things have been going, the amount of time, and the money, is about to be cut off.

About to leave the board,

It would be an absolute shame for Justin to leave this BB after all he's done for fellow board members these past few years, but I can understand his frustrations and wouldn't blame him if he did! If I didn't already have my Dope from Hope papers, I would've gladly made a donation to Justin's site for the PDF file...it's definately a small price to pay for all the hard work and time he's put in to the PDF file and to his website.

Actually, I'm suprised that Klipsch hasn't offered him a job as the "Ambassador to the Klipsch Realm", just kidding (I think). This information is not availble via any other means, and dissemination of this info does nothing but inspire interest into Klipsch products.

----------------

On 10/1/2003 6:57:36 AM BigBusa wrote:

did you break even yet? I'd like the free version
2.gif
Post the link.

----------------

It's only a few freakin' bucks! Don't be such a cheapo and spit out some change. I paid $20 for my hard copy back when artto was kind enough to go out of his way, and it was well worth it!

Wow I feel bad now, I only send $4.74, that is all I had left on paypal.

Thank you Justin for sending me the link. I am not sure what the big fuss is. Here we spend thousands of dollars on audio/veideo equipment and yet some get into a tizzy about a small donation. I took small as in some amount of money.

Bandwidth costs money whether up or down, storage cost money whether it is used or not. Having seen Justin's generousity on the forum if you donated $1 eh would have hooked you up. If you didn't have paypal I am sure he would have worked something out.

Justin Thanks again for making this available.

Scott

Thanks for the link. I have downloaded it and it is great.

As to your frustration with the forum, get over it. There is no way you can put a group of people together without one or two being a$$hole's. The thing to remember is that what comes out of them stinks and is considered waste. Let it go down a pipe and forget about it. There are still a lot of good people on the forum and a lot of knowledge out there to be gained. If you leave, we all lose, you included.

----------------

On 10/1/2003 8:02:44 PM bruinsrme wrote:

... I am not sure what the big fuss is. Here we spend thousands of dollars on audio/veideo equipment and yet some get into a tizzy about a small donation....

... Bandwidth costs money whether up or down, storage cost money whether it is used or not. ... Justin Thanks again for making this available.

----------------

I'm with Scott... with the money many people have invested in their systems and music/movies you would think they could spare a couple of bucks for hours and hours of reading. It's worth more than a subscription to stereophool.

I also wanted to bring out the point that Justin isn't selling the file either... he's just asked that everyone split the cost of preparation and bandwidth. He is not making it publicly available and is sharing it just with friends... I think he is well within "fair use" link artto posted earlier.

Justin, thanks for your time and for making this available... your efforts are always appreciated. 1.gif

Rob

Leave it to one idiot to spoil things for everybody, some people just dont get it. Justin, thanks for taking the time to do this and make it available to the folks here it is truly appreciated. Don't let one knucklehead get to you with his copyright ramblings. He obviously does not realize that you looked into the whole copyright thing prior to piecing it together. Some of us were obviously not blessed with common sense.

My only problem was the inexact use of the word donation, when in fact nothing was given as a present, a gratuity or a gift. I paid my entry fee last night, received my link this morning and appreciate Justin taking the time and effort to make this information available. Klipsch should offer this on their web site. Stereophile magazine should review and comment on it. Thanks. No hard feelings.

9.gif