Present / Past Owners of 1966 KHorns or Cornwalls

Good2BHome

1966 or prior!!

Are the "silver" K-33 Alnico Woofers stamped or diecast baskets? I have an opinion based on pictures I've seen, but I would like to hear from someone that actually knows (i.e. someone that has or does own this woofer).

I know these were used some time prior to 1967, but I'm not sure when the Alnico woofers were discontinued.

I've attached a picture (small only 31k) I picked up from somewhere as a point of reference only (i.e. they're not mine).

Thanks,

Mike

post-7868-13819248264648_thumb.jpg

Gilbert,

They changed sometime before our particular pairs of vertical Cornwalls were made (mine are '68s and yours are '67s). Our vertical Cornwalls have the ceramic woofer magnets - commonly referred to as "mud" magnets. I am very curious myself as to when production of the alnico woofers stopped. I know Allan has a pair of '64 Cornwalls with alnico woofers, but am not sure at what point they changed.

I wouldn't mind having a pair of those alnico woofers9.gif

How about those verticals, Gil? You had a chance to compare those to the OO pair? Whaddaya think? Are you using all of those in the HT?

Magnets made of Aluminum, Nickel, and Cobalt became unavailable when the Cobalt mines in Africa shut down becasue of civil unrest.

It is my understanding that the strength of the field in the voice coil is not established by the magnet when properly designed. Rather, the magnet is made stronger or bigger than necessary, enough to saturate the iron pole pieces. Therefore the size of the pole pieces dictate the field in the gap.

I may be wrong but Alnico magnets had their own problems. Field strength can be compromised over time. One thing I recall is that dropping them can alter the strenght. Sounds odd.

Mud magnets are called that because the manufacturing process starts with a slurry.

In any event, I can't see how the current in the voice coil can tell what sort of magnet is in use, all other things being equal.

Gil

Yup still do have the 62's Just can't part with them. I actually use both of them as a combined center channel in the vericcal position so the horns are across and to the outide in between my 67 Khorns. My rears are 79 LaScala's, with a left over pair of 84 Cornwalls.

Doug

"Yup still do have the 62's Just can't part with them. I actually use both of them as a combined center channel in the vericcal position so the horns are across and to the outide in between my 67 Khorns. My rears are 79 LaScala's, with a left over pair of 84 Cornwalls."

So you use dual center channels too?? And I thought I was wacko for trying it and liking the results! I have my verticals stood up as dual centers, and it works pretty well.

The woofers do look stamped.

Audible,

I have about an 18ft wide wall with KHorns tucked into the corners and the 62 Cornwalls laying on their sides in between the KHorns. Its like having a wall of speakers. Using the 62's for the center is amazing.

Doug

Hey Doug, I think those '62 Vert Corns are too big for your present application, I think you need to trade them to me for a pair of '89 Heresy II's (WO) and an Audio Dynamics B-200 250W per channel amplifier! Just kidding! As much as it would be nice to use some vertical Cornwalls in the rear instead of my present '78 La Scala's I think having all horn loaded drivers is a closer match to my Khorn's. The insides of your '62's look very nice and clean though. I think I just want a pair of Klipsch speakers made the year I was born - too cool. So are all the Klipsch Heritage speakers you have in use? Or are the '84 Corns idle for now. That single 15" Velodyne keeps up pretty damn good I think, and its turned down to like 3 1/2. 9.gif

Hey Charles, good to hear from you again. The 84 Cornwalls are being used as a small 2 channel system at the moment. I am actually considering selling them to a good home. They are raw birch (with a nice stain on them) with woven cane grills they are a 7 out of 10. The grills are perfect, they need to be refinished though. They have some scratches on it some are about a 16th deep. I was told about $100 for the pair to be redone back to natural birch.

Doug

P.S. The velodyne is bone crushing. The neighbor called to cops on the other neighbor, because she thought their kids were playing in the gararge with a live band. HeHe