Music for Baby

A question to ponder...

I am hitting the local cd store next week and am looking for ten to twenty cds that I can buy to play with our five month old. What would you suggest me picking up? And no, I will not be adding to my Metallica and Cult collection.

Remember, this may determine our son going to Harvard, or driving a Pinto to M.I.T., which means Meremec in Town here in Missouri.

Have fun!!

----------------

On 7/5/2003 7:18:08 PM sheltie dave wrote:

A question to ponder...

I am hitting the local cd store next week and am looking for ten to twenty cds that I can buy to play with our five month old. What would you suggest me picking up? And no, I will not be adding to my Metallica and Cult collection.

Remember, this may determine our son going to Harvard, or driving a Pinto to M.I.T., which means Meremec in Town here in Missouri.

Have fun!!

----------------

A must: Garcia and Grisman - Not for Children Only

Nice kids songs done with beautiful acoustics by 2 masters. Just like the title, you'll both love it.

----------------

On 7/5/2003 9:16:37 PM Audible Nectar wrote:

Gary, great minds think alike
9.gif

I was also going to suggest "Shady Grove" by the same duo - as pure and simple as music gets.

----------------

Shady Grove. One of my favorites also. I would have suggested but I thought the kid thing.... If Dave and son like those, how about The Pizza Tapes. All three are great and give you excellent, pure folk music from its roots. Not to mention the great acoustical recordings that sound so good on Klipsch!1.gif

A 5 month old couldn't care less what the music is. Buy and expose him to every type of music you can stand. Personally, I'd avoid deathmetalthrash, but anything that displays virtuosity in the performance will be good. At his age he will notice rhythm first and may try to move in sync with it. Lou Reed at a pleasant volume may be more entertaining than the 1812 Ovature with digital cannon just due to the pace of the music and fewer "changes".

Later, start him in music training and provide moderate push to keep him in it. My mother did not push me because she was pushed too hard for too long. I wish she had.

----------------

On 7/5/2003 7:18:08 PM sheltie dave wrote:

What would you suggest me picking up?

----------------

As a registered nurse I used to work in both the neonatal level 2 and newborn nursery. Several to be exact. Total experience about 3.5 years with babies and infants.

Studies have demonstrated that 'The Three 'B's' are the best music for babies and infants. Bach, Beethoven and Brahms. It sooths them like no other and I believe helps them develop cerebral neural networks.

I'd stay away from anything aggressive unless you want an aggressive infant.

---------

"Deborah has played to a wide variety of patients; for newborns, for Alzheimers patients, and for hospice patients. I played for the newborns at Stevens Hospital, she recollects. When I arrived they were screaming, but as soon as I started playing they all stopped crying. I play lullabies for them Brahms, a slowed-down Mozart sonata theme, and similar gentle music.

http://www.msa-sea.org/DeborahBrown.htm

---------

Studies:

This article discusses the emotions that are associated with each age group; from babies through geriatrics. It explains psychological effects of classical music and how it can affect our personalities. Author: Ostwald, P. F. (?). Music and human emotions. Journal of Music Therapy. 3, 3. 93-94.

A study was conducted with twenty preemies. Ten were hooked up to headphones that played lullabies in the NICU. More oxygen was found in their blood, and heart and breathing rates were closer to normal than in the other ten who were exposed only to the hum of monitors and machines in their rooms. Munson, Marty, Iconis, & Rosemary. (1995). Plugged-in-preemies. Prevention.

Twenty low birth weight babies in the NICU were divided into control and experimental groups. The experimental group was given thirty-six minute cycles of music continuously. The music had a noticeably positive effect on oxygen saturation levels, heart rate, and respiratory rate. Cassidy, J. W., & Standley, J. M. (?). The effect of music listening on physiological responses of premature infants in the NICU. Journal of Music Therapy. 32, 4. 205-227.

http://www.uwec.edu/rasarla/research/litandgoals/Other/premies.htm

--------

Tony B.

Dave,

I second (or third, or fourth) the Grisman/Garcia CD. Pizza Tapes will expose the youngun to a few blue words, but why do you think they call it "Bluegrass?"

My ultimate choice would be "No!," by They Might Be Giants (my and my kid's favorite band). This is an outstanding album, for all ages, but designed primarily to be kid-friendly.

fini

A 5 month old has different needs than an older child of say 3, 4 or older. Stick with classical for good developmental health.

When they understand the concept of their 'favorite band' then the other generally adult suggestions may be appropriate.

Tony B.

I'm almost positive that National Public Radio has a quarterly catalog that sells CD's of light classical music for infants and toddlers, but I can't place the name or label. But I'm sure you can probably go on Amazon.com and find something similar.

Didn't Mozart's old man compose the "Toy Symphony"? That'd work, too.

I was exposed to classic Bluegrass music as a youngin', but later turned on to classical music, mostly compositions for the pipe organ by the age of 5. What a contrast, huh? By the junior high years, I was totally into rock (secretly, natch...my dad despises rock 'n' roll in any form).

Just keep baby away from Marilyn Manson!

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, I used some music from the Baby Genuis series of CD's to sooth my baby girl to sleep. Along with Bach and some of the others mentioned here. Now that she is 22 months she likes more variety you can tell the ones she really likes she will start dancing. She loves Klipsch! It would be a sin to play her Elmo DVD's back through a TV speaker.

Yeah I know. I just put my foot in my mouth for about the 3rd time this thread. Didn't mean any of that. I love classical music on my corns. Actually I have a rather large collection. I just wasn't sure that's what Dave was after in this post, that's all.

Hey, how about a compromise? Try Disney's "Silly Symphonies!" (Available on DVD).

fini

P.S. Dave, I'll burn a copy of "No!" and slip it in the box with the HK430.