Will 600 WPC be enough for my Cornwalls?

BigBusa

duh...it's bragging rights! hehe

all i gotta say is u can never have too much power, sometime u should try bridging the bridged amps together and go for 1200watts 2.gif

i wonder if your amps would put out enough power to completely blow apart some bose...i would totally buy u a set to blow up if you managed to videotape the process. and then hook up your klipsch and videotape the windows shattering and the furniture moving (well ok, it won't be that exciting, but one can dream).

and lastly, there's nothing wrong with listening to music with earplugs! crank those babies up so high that u can feel high end slamming into your chest...just imagine what the corresponding bass would be like 2.gif

ok, on a more serious note...it'll prob sound better unbridged but it's cooler to say u got 600watts bridged instead of just 300watts. (though both are way overkill for horn loaded speakers and your ears). but if u don't notice a difference in quality, then go with the 600 cuz it's cooler to have lots of extra power 9.gif it's all about being cool! hmmmm, sounds like a rap song (cool daddy? i dunno, i don't listen to rap) 10.gif

The output stage of the Dynaco S400 was designed by James Bongiorno of Ampzilla fame.

James also worked for Marantz and SAE during that time period.

Speakers were mostly 8 ohms then. A Cornwall dips down to 4 ohms.

All these 200W/8R amplifiers used series connected outputs with a ±75~80V supply. The maximum collector current rating of the outputs used (2N5631/2N6031) is only 16A.

Driving a 4 ohm load can exceed the maximum current rating for these outputs. That is with the amplifier in stereo. In mono driving 4 ohms is an accident waiting to happen.

Modern designs have paralleled high voltage outputs that didn't exist when the earlier amps came out. The output stage in an Adcom GFA555 is rated at 60A vs the 16A of the Dynaco.

McIntosh is one of the few companies that made robust high power amplifiers. By using the autoformer they were able to avoid the series connected outputs and parallel all theirs for higher current. The MC2300 output stage was rated at 96A vs the 16A Dynaco.

The big 'fix' for the ST400, after it hand-grenades, if to convert it to a ST416. This doubles the number of outputs. The ST416 will drive a 4 ohm load in stereo, or an 8 ohm load in mono.

A ST416 can be rebuilt to have the same output stage as an Adcom GFA555, after this it can drive a 2 ohm load in stereo or a 4 ohm load in mono.

Deang chill ...I can pay you an hourly wage for the time you wasted replying to my post.

I wasn't really asking for advice on how to set up my system. I asked "what do you guys think" about what I am doing.

Sorry I was not specific enough.

djk the dynaco stereo 400's were frequently bridged and used as a 600w mono amp. There was a kit availible in the 70's (MBI-400) that bridged the amp to 600 w mono. I seriously doubt Dynaco would have offered the bridging kit if it were "an accident waiting to happen".

From the website below ..."The MBI-400 bridge kit allowed use as a single channel 600 watt amplifier."

If you're interested in reading more about this particular amp, its stats and capabilities you can here http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/ST400/

I think you don't want to know what anyone else thinks.

God speed to you, sir.

This reminds me of a anecdote from my youth. I had a friend that thought it would be GREAT to drop acid and go to the State Fair (here in Minnesota).

I thought he was already tripping if he thought that would be good. I couldn't think of one worse possible combination, except maybe tripping while having your teeth drilled at the dentist.

But he did it, and later, he sat there and said "It wasn't as good as you'd think it would have been."

Hello Dere BigBusa !!

The last I heard you were buying a set of Khorns for $1500.00 but needed to wait until you had the $$$$. Now you are talking about driving your Cornwalls with bridged Dynaco 400's !

I am a little puzzled. Did the deal on the horns fall through ? Did you buy the amps instead of the horns ?

----------------

On 7/13/2003 8:54:00 PM BigBusa wrote:

You got it! I sold the busa because I got too many speeding tickets.
11.gif

----------------

Ah hah! You're trying to compensate for the loss of the Busa. What you really need is a K12RS with about 15-20 watts of vintage tubes. And a V-1.

K12RS PilotBBG

This reminds me of "The Ultimate LSH* Loudspeaker" that PWK was writing about in the Dope from Hope Vol 14, No.1 April 1974:

We take the original LSH loudspeaker as a point of departure, build a forced-draft box on which to set the LSH, and wire a shunt resistor R2, of 0.1666Ohm rated at 50 W and a serier resistor R1 of 3.837 ohms rated at 1200 W. This will give an effective load resistance of 4 ohms and a continous input capacity of 1200 W. .... and so forth. PWK did state that it "will dissipate the heat and keep the house warm. Rated SPL was 100 db at 1 Watt at 61 cm.

*Loudspeaker and Space Heater

Gad it would of been great to know PWK, he had to be a hoot!!!!

I love the beemers. I especially like the older k100rs in pearl white. I already have a V1 but it just doesnt work against instant on radar ...I got nailed for 126 in a 55 mph zone while using it. I was only in 3rd gear! I knew the exact moment when they zapped me but still nothing I could do.

"djk the dynaco stereo 400's were frequently bridged and used as a 600w mono amp. There was a kit availible in the 70's (MBI-400) that bridged the amp to 600 w mono. I seriously doubt Dynaco would have offered the bridging kit if it were "an accident waiting to happen".

From the website below ..."The MBI-400 bridge kit allowed use as a single channel 600 watt amplifier."

The amplifier is rated at 8 ohms bridged, not 4 ohms.

I have between 30 and 40 of amplifiers this size and vintage in my shop at any one time waiting for repair, I've had as many as 8 Dynaco ST400 at one time.

I'm glad Dynaco/Ampzilla/SAE and others skimp'd on the output stages, it brings me plenty of work.

When yours blow up keep me in mind: I have all the service data, 30+ years of working on this model, and I usually have 200~400 pcs of the output transistors on hand.

djk I msg'ed you but I'm not sure if that works.

I'm looking for the schematics for the mbi-400 bridge kit that dynaco offered for this amp. Would you happen to have them?

Or even better a couple of NOS mbi-400 kits themselves?

I have a great tech from illinios who is doing the work. He's very knowledgable. If I can't find the schematics to the dynaco bridging kit then he's going to build a genric bridging adaptor. We would both rather do it the way dynaco suggested though.

I can be reached at dhopkin1@nycap.rr.com if you have any info on this mbi-400 schematic. thanks!

If one is looking for a monster-speaker sound I wonder if big subwoofers and PA cabinets might be better (especially if one is looking for hearing damage and inferiating the neighbors). When I run my measily 250w/ch Carver C500 with Cornwalls the bass can vibrate the pictures on the wall and highs can send an ice pick through both ears w/o moving the power meter. Pushing the sound above 100db seems to require bracing and ring reduction on the horns.

I kinda like the idea of big SS power for the woofers and tube power for the highs. Adding big SS power on the Cornwalls has not been an improvement in the highs for me. When I really want a big deep concert bass subs seem to be the answer.

Kjohn I've been that route alredy. I hate PA speakers in my livingroom. These A7-500-8's sounded absolutely HORRIBLE. If a person wanted to ruin his hearing all he need do is buy a pair of A7's and stick them in his/her livingroom. These things are hell.

P4020001.jpg

I think you might be confusing me with someone who wants to rattle windows, piss off the neighbors, ruin my hearing and peel paint from my ceilings 100% of the time.

I'm truely seeking quality sound not SPL. At times we all want to be able to crank the volume sometimes and not have our amps wheezing trying to keep up. I'm pretty sure my 600w amps will be able to keep up without worry 9.gif

post-7446-1381924839743_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 7/13/2003 9:21:46 PM BigBusa wrote:

I love the beemers. I especially like the older k100rs in pearl white. I already have a V1 but it just doesnt work against instant on radar ...I got nailed for 126 in a 55 mph zone while using it. I was only in 3rd gear! I knew the exact moment when they zapped me but still nothing I could do.

----------------

Ouch! Around here Virginiathat would get you weekends for awhile. I'm three for three with the judgetwo thrown out altogether and one reduced to "seatbelt violation." I'm trying real hard to be good, or less of a target anyway. Seems to be working (knocking on wood).

J.