Will 600 WPC be enough for my Cornwalls?

BigBusa

OK,I have to ask//// WHY?? OK,yes..Headroom issues etc.. I really doubt at any point you will ever get the full sound of the amp so it is purring along full dynamically at 600WPC cause it will never be really on unless you like your ears to bleed etc etc.. Yes overkill to the extreem.

The fast path to permenant hearing damage.

You seem like an intelligent individual -- what the heck are you thinking man?

At least go with a passive biamp setup. Bridging with these amps will sound terrible on horns.

BigBusa, those Dynacos are sweet, and bridged to 600 watts mono...what power. If you were drivin' inefficient Magnepans or other such loudspeakers, then I would tell ya to go for it!

But I must agree with the others that it's way too much power for your Cornwalls (hell, my 100 WPC is too much for my CW's). But I'm no expert by any means, so I'd say to go and at least try it, and see how it sounds to your ears. If it sounds good to you and makes you tap your feet to your favorite tunes, then that's all that really matters in the end.

For what it's worth...

I sold that scott preamp because I just am not into tube gear. IMO tube gear runs to hot, is old, unreliable, clunky and doesn't sound that good.

I like the look of the two amps in the cabinet and since I only have one pair of speakers I decide to have the amplifiers bridged so I can use them both. Sure I won't ever use 600 watts but those watts that I do use will be pumped out so effortlessly it'll be crazy! When the work is all done to the amps I'll give a review of the sound. Trust me ...if it doesn't sound at least as good as one st 400 I'll be the first to say so.

I'm currently powering my CWs with a dynaco st-400 (without the meter option) and love the sound. Very powerful and authoritative.

----------------

On 7/13/2003 9:55:29 AM BigBusa wrote:

I sold that scott preamp because I just am not into tube gear. IMO tube gear runs to hot, is old, unreliable, clunky and doesn't sound that good.

I like the look of the two amps in the cabinet and since I only have one pair of speakers I decide to have the amplifiers bridged so I can use them both. Sure I won't ever use 600 watts but those watts that I do use will be pumped out so effortlessly it'll be crazy! When the work is all done to the amps I'll give a review of the sound. Trust me ...if it doesn't sound at least as good as one st 400 I'll be the first to say so.

I'm currently powering my CWs with a dynaco st-400 (without the meter option) and love the sound. Very powerful and authoritative.

----------------

I am totaly with you. I have 400watt bridged amps for my RF-3II. What a great sound. I say do it and you will love it. I am a huge believer in big power. Let use know if it is enough. I would like a little more myself. I am glad to see that atleast one person is with me.11.gif

Big,

The guys that have responded are more "expert" than I will ever be. I have listened to Khorns, LAs, Mod-H,and CWs since 1970.(not at the same time ha)

Give it a shot. I don't know how the Dynas will sound. I BTL two Luxman M-117s at 440wpc. The bottom end support is incredible into the four CWs.Flawless mids and highs and a Tube warmth that many SS amps don't have. I switched over two Crown DC300s years ago and they were nasty. Very cold,snappy,and harsh. JMHO considering the company.

tc

Terry, this is apples and oranges here. I ran an M-117 on my Maganpans for a decade, and that amp is without question one of the smoothest, sweetest, most TUBE-LIKE solid state amps you can buy. The Luxman is voltage driven, not current driven. It is a very unique design -- and will absolute POUND something like those Dynaco's into the ground. I can say this with absolute certainty because my best friend ran that same Dynaco on his DQ-10s. I challenged him to a duel so to speak -- and a week later his Dynaco was in his basement in permanent storage.

Bridging that type of amp is a complete waste. PLEASE, if you want the power, than passive biamp the system. Leave them in stereo, put one on the highs and one on the 15's. That Cornwall crossover is complete cake to split out.

I have already made up my mind that this is how I'm going to do it. As a matter of fact one of the amps is now at the techs being "tuned up", relamped and bridged. I'll be sending the other amp out to him when he finishes with the 1st one. I don't wanna over work him >:-)

I did ask you all what you thought and appreciate your input. At this point I'm not interested in suggestions from members on how to set my system up differently.

As it is now the one st400 in stereo (200wpc) is powering my CW's ...When I turn the amps R & L levels all the way up I have a hard time getting to "3" on my NAD 1020 preamps volume knob. Beyond "3" is an awesome experience for both myself and the immediate neighbors. 10.gif

With 600 watts pounced and ready to produce any sound I chose to throw at the CW's it should be unlike any other audio experience ...at least in my 13' x 15' listening room.

I'm expecting to be all set up in a couple weeks. I'm quite sure I'll be in audio bliss but we'll soon see!3.gif9.gif

This coming from a guy who owned the fasted production street bike ever made. It's even in the guiness book of world records! Off the showroom floor it went 196mph. 9.gif Do you think I ever went that fast?6.gif Nope!

BIGGER IS BETTER

You're right, Big...you did ask for our thoughts on the subject (and you got back a whole lot more in return). But I can appreciate the fact that you're sticking to your guns and doing what you want to do to your system. After all, you're the one who's listening to it, and if you didn't like the sound your system reproduces, then you wouldn't be going through all the trouble with bridging your monster amps! For that alone, I congratulate you!

I've also been questioned for liking vintage Carver components...maybe it wasn't high-end enough for the purists who swear that vacuum tubes are the only way to go with Klipsch. I love tubes, and have nothing against tube gear, but I also know that tubes aren't for everyone, just like Klipsch loudspeakers aren't for everyone. This is nothing more than an enjoyable hobby, not rocket science, and we should be allowed to explore this audio hobby of ours in any fashion we choose, with whatever components we choose to use. That's what makes this hobby fun.

But if you don't like me for my SS Mac amps, then so be it. All I know is that my McIntosh sounds fabulous with my Cornwalls, just as your Dynacos will sound fabulous to you with your Cornwalls.

As Nike plainly puts it, "Just Do It!"2.gif