Will 600 WPC be enough for my Cornwalls?

BigBusa

Back on topic. Yes - I think you will have no problems driving any Klipsch speaker ever made with 600 watts.

I am just not sure if you will get any benefit from having the last 500 or so, possibly the last 596.5.

Doesnt Kelly (Mobile) have Cornwalls running with 3.5 watts?

Still - you will definitely have more headroom than he does at volume - probably enough for me to hear your system here in Athens...

Hmmm.

Insane.

I could completely drive people out of the room with 20 watts of Scott driving the Cornwalls. I thought another 40 watts would clean things up a little at the higher SPLs. I can't imagine more than 60 to 100 watts max with a set of Cornwalls.

You should be concentrating on quality power, not quantity of power. Headroom is important, and I'm probably one of the biggest advocates of it here on this forum -- but what you are doing is ... ludicrous.

----------------

On 7/14/2003 9:55:36 AM BigBusa wrote:

jaylord yeah that was me ...a few years back I used to be a member there. Haven't gone to the site in eons though. Small world!?

What do you guys ride?

----------------

i have been a member for over 2 years, i have a 2k1 gix 750 for street and a 1988 Honda Hawk for track.

Max, yeah, Kelly runs his Cornwalls with Moondogs at around 3-4W ...

In fact, I've dragged my Cornwalls into a separate room and hooked up my Wright 3.5's to them and just about creased my (remaining) hair before the end of the first cut (Steve Morse, "Twiggs Approved").

Back in the beginning when I got my Cornwalls, I had a McIntosh 2105 (100 WPC) ... You know, the ones with the blue meters on the front? I thought for the longest time that they were broken because they never moved. It wasn't until I diddled with the selector switch and changed the resolution to 20X (or so) did I realize that in full tilt, these things were only putting out about 3/4W. Sounded very nice, though, but I still love tube SET.

Besides for Klipschorns, the RF-7 that Leo's got are the second best speaker I've heard. The Cornwall is a different beast altogether but seems to suffer a bit for being a 3-way.

----------------

On 7/14/2003 3:36:03 PM sunnysal wrote:

sirjaylord, is that a monkey urinating in your avatar? why?

----------------

lol heehehe, ya it is. i've got a whole bunch of those. monkey jerking off, taking a dump etc.... i've got a sh*t load of different greamlins and such. why, because its funny, and i always use the phrase "piss on it".

My Dyanco pre-amplifier approximates the amount of energy coming from the amplifier, so that ¼ turn of the knob is about ¼ of the amplifier output. Even with my big old Cornwall horns, I never had to play my flea-powered Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour monoblock amplifiers more than ½ to get music passages near 100 dB/watt/meter! In other words, about three watts was more than enough. 2.gif

Guys,

One mans "GEEZ! TURN THAT DOWN! OUCH OUCH OUCH! HELP!" is another man's background music level.

In Colin's post, he refers to 100dB at a meter, as if that's loud. In my house, when playing enthusiastic music like the William Tell, I measured the volume level I considered really, really excitingly, enthusiastically loud but not excessive (using a non-calibrated Radio Shack analog SPL meter) at 120 to 125dB at my listening position (8 feet in front of the La Scalas), using A weighting, rapid rise time. And my brother in law, when visiting, liked to play stuff louder than *I* do. He drove a Krell KAV300i on the La Scalas into thermal shutdown playing Led Zepplin. (I was standing outside wondering how long his ears would hold up just before everything went all quiety.)

I could easily see 600 watts being pushed into Cornwalls at true party levels.

Before I sold my McIntosh MC7200, I decided to "let 'er rip" one day when no one else was home. Put a pipe organ CD on and turned the gain control on my tube preamp to about 11 o'clock...Dammit, the power meters on the Mac were barely peaking at 20 watts each (at over 120dB A weighted on my bro's RadioShack digital SPL meter)! Talk about having a cathedral-size organ of 200 ranks playing right in your face! Even though it was so loud that all the windows and doors rattled inside the house, the sound quality never did break up or distort, and the amp barely got warm. Sometimes it is fun to play your music at concert-hall levels (but not recommended if you value your hearing).

And Dean's lil' drug-related story reminds me of the time back in '81 when I was at the amphitheater at Red Rocks, CO...I was smokin' a doobie with friends, and not yet being used to the high altitudes, got stoned really quick! I started running up and down the bleachers and never got tired or winded!

True story!10.gif

Let's see, a 2A3 tube puts out 3.5 watts.

(And that is probably maximum.)

So two Moondog amps put out 3.5 watts, for a total of 7 watts. And that's probably maximum wattage.

My little SE 6BQ5 stereo pentode amp puts out 4.5 watts on a scope maxxed out.

So I probably mostly listen at around 1.5 watts per side, for a total of 3 watts.

And still can eek out 90 decibels in a 12'x 15' room.

My Eico El-84 Push Pull's can get the Cornwalls up over a 100 decibels and rock out pretty well.

It just not as clean and open as the SE stereo amp.

And I agree with Dean, once the Cornwalls hit 95 decibels, they more or less collapse.

But I'm a cheap Bastard, instead of doing tweaks to them, I just turn them down.

I would fuse the tweeters, no sense scrounging diaphragms for T-35's.

(If you do have plans to crank them to concert levels.)

Boy, it sure goes to show that we all hear different,and have different preferences in music and gear, and how we like to experience it.

A buddy of mine ate a whole hit of 4-way windowpane acid once back in High School.

Bought it out in the parking lot from some dude's in a van.

My buddy bought it and sucked it down. The guy in the van asked him: You just ate that whole hit didn't you?

He replies: Yup!

The guy then says: You do realize that is hit of 4-WAY windowpane, and you just ate 4 hits.

Hell, we tried talking him into going home, or saving the fry for a better time than school!!

He stayed. You should have seen him about 5th period, all slumped up against the lockers feeling his way down the hall.

He was f*cked up. He was high for a couple days.