Accidentally Bought TT

garymd

I'm helping a friend put together a 2-channel system and put in a snipe for a Thorens TD-165 (no cartridge). I thought auctionsniper informed me I was outbid early on so we went another direction. This morning as I was checking my emails I saw to my horror that I won the TT!!! 6.gif $113.50 in good shape with a new belt but I dont need it! Maybe I'll give it a try and use it on my downstairs system. No TT down there yet. Something else to hide from my wife.

You have definitely got the bug. I always heard people could become addicted to the internet but "E-bay". Stay away from action sniper and you have a better chance of getting out of the deal. I have way too many "E-bay" products in my house now. And the lsit of through/giveaways is growing. For instance: Carver 6 disc cd player, skipped from day one after 20 minutes of play time. Marrantz 1040 amp, definitely owned by a smoker. Boy will that kill a purchase. Two Yamaha M series amps, and one BK St202 amp, only have use for one in my home theater system now.

One K-500 TT, can't get the needle to touch the record. Definitly an adjustment problem. I may be interested in your Thorens if it works. What model? 160.

Yeah, I've tried the "accident" excuse on my wife. You can imagine how that went over. Faking a heart attack (AKA the Redd Foxx Defense) when she asks about a new pile, works, but only once. I've even tried acting like I don't understand English. Let's face it: Wives are too damn smart.

fini

Yep, and it's really hard to hide La Scala's.

Dee

p.s. just think of the garage sale we could have if geography weren't a problem.

It is always a bummer to buy in good faith something that is not as described and the most unpleasant experience to go round and round with the seller. Even if they agree to take the item back, the busted buyer is out for shipping each way. Most uncivilized but it seems to go with the territory.

Usually I can make it to the mail box before the wife does, this works great to be able to hide those small ebay items from the wife, doesnt work worth a crap on the big items thow and than she gives me that look of hers, but she gets over it, and then she gets me back and just goes shoping for clothes.

P1241312_011.jpg

Gary, you also owned a DP-62L? Had mine for 20 years...a flawless 'table as far as direct-drives go. With my Sumiko Blue Point MC, my LP's sounded as good (if not better) than most of my CD's! Had to let 'er go on eBay, but made twice as much as what I paid for it!

Right...you accidently bought a turntable...accidently "on purpose!"9.gif Hope you live long enough to enjoy it...The WAF can be murder if caught!6.gif

post-11084-13819248455434_thumb.jpg

>With my Sumiko Blue Point MC, my LP's sounded as good (if not better) than most of my CD's!

Dang, Jim, that must have been one really AWFUL TT and cart if that's the best you can say. ;-)

I'd still like to know the trick to getting images up direct. Everytime I've ever done it they wind up visible to me, but only because they are still pointed to my own drive.

Dave

Jim,

It's the other Gary with the denon. I just have an old but perfectly good technics sl-1800 DD. I'm going to see how the Thorens sounds in comparison. The weak link on the Thorens is the arm. I've been doing a little research and many recommend swapping out the 165s stock arm for something better. I think I'll wait on that though.

Sorry, wrong Gary...my bad. Rega and SME make great tonearms if that's a possibility for you later on down the road.

What was I thinking Dave? Of course all my LP's sounded much better than my CD's with the Sumiko...duhh! Seriously, if I had a dedicated phono preamp to use instead of the preamp's phono stage, along with refined tonearm cables, then the above statement would be fact!

As far as uploading pictures to appear on your posts, here's how someone described it to me:

After you've attached your jpg file (before composing your post, natch), type in:

p><p> After the to the above tag, and then compose your post and click the submit tab.

That should include your image into your post. There are other ways to add pictures to your posts, and cluless, justin_tx_16, and trespasser_guy know all the tricks!

Well, I guess this BB won't let you show the tag and all that follows on this submission form.

Ask cluless, justin_tx_16, or trespasser_guy how they do it. There's a thread somewhere on this Forum that they give all the tricks to adding images to your posts. The one I tried to write to you doesn't seem to let me post it.

Dave,

Here's how I get pics to show inline. First I do a reply and attach a pic. Then don't post, but go back to the forum. Then reply again, and put in whatever text I want. Then I put in:

img src='http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/filename.jpg'

Switch to html, and enclose the above with left and right angle brackets (above comma and period).

If I put in the brackets, the text will disappear.

It took me a couple of tries, but it works for me.

Marvel