Anyone else have stereo elves?

User Name

I can't figure this out but hopefully one of you can help me.

Every once in a while maybe once or twice a month I come home from work and my Denon 5700 is powered up for no particular reason. I have it plugged into a surge protector power strip and nobody else has a key to my house so I know there is nobody else using my stereo.

Does anybody have any clue why my receiver mysteriously turns itself on? I can't link it to a particular time either (i.e. storms or lightening). It seems totally random.

Once I find out why, how do I fix it? In other words if it turns on itself how can I get it to turn off itself? Some kind of timer perhaps?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Try getting an APC UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply). They help with voltage regulation and what have you, and beyond. I had this happen with my old DVD player, bad power would cause it to turn itself on, got one of these and fixed the problem... then got a new DVD player when this one decided to start eating DVD's 1.gif

I had an old set of Altec Lansing multimedia speakers hooked up to our downstairs TV and plugged into the exact same outlet as the TV, VCR, etc. During a storm, lighting hit somewhere VERY near our house and fried my speakers, turning them on and creating a horrible hum. The TV and everything else was fine. Sub channel amp chip was completely fried, as well as a ground trace. Do you get many power surges in your area?

----------------

On 7/19/2003 2:45:49 PM cluless wrote:

User-

I've been meaning to discuss the contents of your fridge with you. Could you please provide the following: cold beer, sandwich meat, assorted chips, cashews. We'll discuss the cd collection later.

11.gif
Less
----------------

LOL!!! 2.gif

I had stereo elves once. My wife and I went shopping and when we came home. To our surprise the stereo was on and a cd was playing. I was at a pretty high volume. The funny part is I think I scared them away it was Snoop Dogg. So my suggestion is just go out and get a Snoop cd leave it in the cd player. And say good by stereo elves 9.gif

I kinda doubt that just the right noise is getting into the unit through the a.c. mains.

Does this unit have a remote which sends an infra red signal. Also, is there some sort of input which allows it to be controlled by other units, perhaps via wire. It is more likely that these are where some false control signal is getting in.

I once read that some table lamps with dimmers can put out modulated IR. In that case, I recall the IR just swamped out the IR receiver in the unit.

On the funny side, is there any chance a pet sits on the remote?

I wouldn't rule out a microprocessor glitch if it does have some sort of IR control.

However it seems a bit odd no matter what the source of a false signal, that it only turns the thing "on" and doesn't diddle with the other remote controlled features.

Is there any chance this thing has a "sleep" or "alarm" function? Of couse that should trigger daily.

Just some thoughts. I'm pretty stumped otherwise.

Gil

I'm not familiar with the Denon 5700...does it have a "Standby" power switch? Is your Denon always powered up, but in its standby mode when not in use? Maybe a power spike or other power flucuation causes your unit to come on. Have you contacted your Denon service tech support yet?

Do you have any close neighbours? Maybe, just maybe their remote control is also turning your receiver on. Just a thought. We used to go into other people's rooms in hotels when I played hockey, and take the remote from our room. Changing the channel stealthily, they were scratching their heads as to what was going on.

Ever since I was abducted by aliens I will will distort television pictures and open garage doors my my mere presence. Are you in the St. Louis area?

Are you that voice in my head telling me over and again 'buy Bose, buy Bose...'? I thought I recognized you. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!! Otherwise you'll find your car starting by itself and all your ceiling fans running in the wrong direction.

That's right HW. Aliens! Don't forget the toilet water! Have you checked if it still flushes in the same direction as it did before the Denon started turning itself on? It sometimes happens when Scotty beams the captain down. For all you know there could be a drain on the entire system.