Tube Amplifier for the Car!

I wonder if it makes mp3 anymore listenable? :-)

I'd really love to have one of the old DynaQuads made for cars. I've never seen one since.

I DO have a rather rare Allstate 45 RPM under dash mount turntable up in th attic. It would make an awesome addition to a restored GTO convertible or something. Had in in a car in the mid-sixties. Sounded MUCH better than the 8 tracks, though 4 track was pretty good.

Dave

Dave,

A friend of mine in high school ('60s), was into cars. He had a 45 rpm player in his car. I thought it was pretty neat. As I recall, the tone arm was underneath the vinyl (the record rested on the tone arm), and it tracked the grooves well considering.

Marvel

Marvel: Exactly how it worked. And it did. Took a pretty bumpy road to cause a skip. OTOH, the pressure wore the records pretty hard.

Nobody cared. They were expendible compared to the girls they drew on a Saturday night at the drive in.

Dave

Surely they would not use a 12AX7... oh man, no. The 12AX7/12AU7/12AT7 are not too happy on supplies lower than 100V, from what I understand. The 6DJ8 family is capable of running that low (well, to about 37V to keep linearity). Unless they invested a lot of time and money in a switching power supply that would convert the 12VDC to 100+VDC, then they would almost have to have used a low voltage triode like 6GM8. But, they probably didn't do that... I have seen my 6GM8's glow, and they don't look like that... I am interested in this. In fact, I now have my own battery (12V) powered amp for cars using 6GM8 with SE MOSFET follower CCS'es on everything. When my sockets come in, I will try that little sucker out. It will take one big darn coupling cap, though, to drive 4-ohms well... might have to DC-couple. (ugh)

EDIT: Looks like 6DJ8...

----------------

On 7/19/2003 2:05:21 PM Mallett wrote:

I DO have a rather rare Allstate 45 RPM under dash mount turntable up in th attic. It would make an awesome addition to a restored GTO convertible or something.

That's actually how a very well known electronics company got started. You've all heard of........Motor-ola!! (insert Paul Harvey voice here)