Anyone enjoying listening to MUSIC these days?

Allan Songer

I am. A lot. Here's what I've been listening to the last few days and I'll bet I would have enjoyed it as much on a boom box (well, maybe not . . .)

Greg Osby ST. LOUIS SHOES Blue Note CD

James Carter CONVERSIN' WITH THE ELDERS Atlantic CD

Sam Rivers FUSHIA SWING SONG Blue Note LP

Lou Donaldson GRAVY TRAIN Blue Note LP

Harold Land HAROLD IN THE LAND OF JAZZ Contemporary LP

Bill Perkins JOURNEY TO THE EAST Contemporary LP

Bill Holman BRILLIANT CORNERS JVC XRCD

John Jenkins WITH KENNY BURRELL Blue Note LP

Sonny Red OUT OF THE BLUE Blue Note LP

Jackie McLean 4, 5, and 6 Prestige LP

Barry Harris Live at Maybeck Hall Concord CD

Horace Parlan Blue Parlan Steeplechase CD

Bud Powell Time Waits Blue Note LP

Duke Pearson Profile Blue Note LP

Duke Pearson Sweet Honey Bee Blue Note LP

Joe Henderson Page One Blue Note LP

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, glad you mentioned music! I have recently acquired 2 UK CDs and Stephane Grappelli & L. Sabramaniam CD. The UK CDs are Danger Money and a Live CD. I have had the first UK LP and CD (the LP is somewhat damaged) and just love that initial lineup of Bruford/Whetton/Holdsworth and Jobson. In the two CDs following the first one they lost Bruford and Hodsworth, only replacing Bruford with Bozzio. I suppose I held out on getting them for all these years for that reason, but there are some excellent compositions there as well. The Grappelli/Sabramaniam disk is Conversations, and it's a really nice blend of Grappelli's jazz styled violin with Dr. Sabramanium's jazz-Indian style and some real nice music as a result. Also features joe Sample, Frank Bennett and more. The LP sounds great, though this one has those...what appears to be undissolved pellets causing little bumps on the record, so I really hesitate to play that.

Last couple of days:

John Martin, Solid Air

Old And In The Way, Breakdown

Loius Armstrong, Jelly Roll

Grateful Dead, Reckoning

Grateful Dead, Dick's Picks # 18 Iowa, 1978

Just picked up a couple Bill Monroe cds today which I haven't yet listened to. Can't wait. Probably not too many bluegrass fans here but if you like to listen to great musicians you should give it a try. I can offer some suggestions if anyone is interested.

Last nights playlist.

Lou Donaldson- Sassy Soul Strut Blue Note LP

Ella Fitzgerald- Gershwin Song Book Vol 1 Verve LP

Thanks to all on this forum who have given me recommedations for new music to sample, I would have not tried many of these without your advice.

Gary, I used to hate bluegrass, but I was exposed to some old-timers who have been playing for 50+, and they are marvelous musicians. It took awhile to get used to a banjo, but it really adds to bluegrass music. I have about 30-40 cd's now that are in my rotation. I seem to listen to music in cycles.

Regards,

Greg

----------------

On 8/13/2003 2:56:03 PM Gregorius wrote:

Last nights playlist.

Lou Donaldson- Sassy Soul Strut Blue Note LP

Ella Fitzgerald- Gershwin Song Book Vol 1 Verve LP

Thanks to all on this forum who have given me recommedations for new music to sample, I would have not tried many of these without your advice.

Gary, I used to hate bluegrass, but I was exposed to some old-timers who have been playing for 50+, and they are marvelous musicians. It took awhile to get used to a banjo, but it really adds to bluegrass music. I have about 30-40 cd's now that are in my rotation. I seem to listen to music in cycles.

Regards,

Greg

----------------

Greg,

Do you have any Old & In The Way cds? Garcia played a mean banjo before ever picking up a guitar. It's a unique bluegrass sound. Sort of a mix between bluegrass/folk/rock. Includes: Peter Rowan, Jerry Garcia, Vasser Clemments, David Grisman and John Kahn. They got together for 1 tour in the spring/summer of '73. Currently 3 live cds available. I also have some bootleg tapes that are pretty good. They're some of my favorite cds of all-time.

Gary,

No I mostly have the old-timers, Bill Monroe, Stanley Brothers, Flatt and Scruggs, a few compilations, along with some bands that appear each year at a local festival. I also have all three of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Cd's (Will the Circle Be Unbroken) as well as a couple of Bela Fleck. I will look for those titles that you mentioned.

Greg

Greg,

Get the Breakdown CD and the original self-titled with the cartoon cover. You'll love them. Also, one of my favorite Bill Monroe CDs is Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys Live Recordings (195? to 196?). Has a blue cover and is outstanding. Peter Rowan played with the Bluegrass Boys as a child prodigy back then.

I'm listening to a few new things I picked up --all over the map in sound.

Norah Jones SACD -- can't get her to sound good yet on my system...need to drop the big Carver SS I think and hook the Dynaco up.

THE FREEZE (lp)- boston hardcore from early 80's --"famous" from the THIS IS BOSTON NO LA compilation. American town is kinda pop.

FRANK MARINO (lp)- Live nostalgic 70's concert sound

DVORAK (cd)- From the New World (Sym. 9)

WHITE STRIPES (CD)- one pop song like the BUZZCOCKS

SWEET - a hits cd and one lp

SUPER DELUXE - Via Satellite - my favorite discount bin CD (paid 50cents and I've been playing it in my car for a couple weeks)

STRAY CATS - UK alternative album cover - I bought it for the alt cover and different song listing...like "RUMBLE IN BRIGHTON"

LENNON - box set of alt takes (interesting having just watched the Beatles anthology

SHOENBERG - yikes, this is as weird as I thought it would be

I don't listen to music anymore. I just buy and sell gear.

I know that is right at the moment. Any word on when the gear is going to arrive ? What about the ying yang dang chang ??

What does it matter some of us have flawed and inexperienced ears anyway 8.gif

Dean, go listen/watch The Replacments in the Eico thread and stop yer yammerin. Make sure it's full screen so you can see Tommy's new red shirt...

Btw, for any interested, there is almost always one of those line stages on ebay at any given time, and for DIRT cheap as well. By the looks of it, it's probably the best linestage deal NEW for $250 ducats there is. I almost bought one to compare to the Pantheon but felt sheepish... Ole Jeff and I decided some things were better left untouched... Seriously though, you cant get any more for $250, especially in a 6SN7, tube rectified LS. I always consider buying one just to have as a backup, then come to my senses. The only negative is there is almost zero resale value due to the fact that it's so damn cheap, used (and no one knows what it is).

Then again, for $250, you can almost throw the bastard away after use! Ok, perhaps not...

kh

No, but I've been listening to Musak lately and...Just kidding! Listened to some Sonny Rollins "Reevaluation, the Impulse years" and Robert Cray Band "Who's been talking" on LP last night. The Rollins was mint and the Cray was unrapped by me. Also listened to some of a Taj Mahal LP, great!1.gif