Well - WISH ME LUCK!!!!

pinipig523

It is 5:30am here at a suburb of chicago... and i am heading off.

i am going to take my 1 and 1/2 hour drive to the test center where the MCATs (medical college entrance exam) are being held.

i hope to do good so i can enter medical school - so here goes!

WISH ME LUCK!!

it will all be over soon - the exam itself is 8 hours long and consists of 2 essays, physics, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, and biology.... phew!

bye for now y'all. 9.gif

Good luck!

I have a good friend, mid to late 50s. He was a sheep farmer/rancher here in northwest Georgia. Decided he wanted to be a doctor, and went back to school. He has finished his residency, and along with his wife who is a dentist, are doing medical missionary work. All things are possible. People thought he was crazy and that he couldn't do it, but he has done well.

Marvel

thanks for all the good wishes everybody!

the exam went almost as i expected it to.

with all the practice exams i took (6 of them 14.gif ) i knew which of the three subject tests were my weak spots and which were my strong (bail-out) ones.

verbal reasoning section was as i expected my waterloo... too weak in this section - actually ran out of time with 3 questions to go - so it wasnt as good as i hoped, but also not as bad as i hoped (i thought i wouldve missed an entire passage or something, i.e. 5-8 questions).

physical sciences (inorganic chemistry and physics) went like clockwork and i finished in 90 minutes - 10 minutes left to spare... checked my unsure answers and made sure i knew what i was putting down.

biological sciences section (biology and organic chemistry) went also like clockwork - i finished in 95 minutes - 5 minutes to spare. had a few iffies here and there, but nothing too alarming.

essay section was a breeze.

so all in all - i think i did fine. i am aiming for a 30 composite score - which would mean that i would need to get three 10s (verbal, physical, and biological... essay doesnt really count). i have a feeling that i probably got an 11 on bio and physical and that would leave as low as an 8 for verbal... so i am still safe.

come on bio and physical - BAIL ME OUT! Hehehe..

oh and if u want to know how i was DURING the exam...

i had 4 pencils out - and i would actually use ALL 4 during each and every sectional exam!!!! i was like - WOW!!! All 4 would actually dull - in the course of the exam - this was NUTS!

my heart was pumping atleast TWICE a SECOND - that would make it at 120 beats per minute - for 6 HOURS!!!! During the exam - i would literally hear my heaert pumping through my chest and i would wonder, how in the world is my body lasting through this internal torture??

i had to piss TWICE before each and every section - i guess that shows to you how SCARED I was. It was like a 10 minute break and i would go piss... then i would come back and sit down - then 2 minutes later i would have to piss again - wow....

for those of u who dont know - body excretions (such as urine and poopoo) are accelerated if your heart is pumping an EXTRAORDINARILY large amount of blood per minute (i.e. 120 beats or more)... so i was scared and i had to pee.

i have no words to describe this exam... truly a torture! i still stand by my belief that the inventor/s of the MCATs are sadomasochists!!! 14.gif

----------------

On 8/16/2003 11:17:35 PM pinipig523 wrote:

i have no words to describe this exam... truly a torture! i still stand by my belief that the inventor/s of the MCATs are sadomasochists!!!
14.gif

----------------

Just wait till after medical school and you start your internship!!!!!

I assume you have a pre-med degree already? How long did you prep for this?

Good luck on your long road a head!

FWIW - My wife was in medical school a few years. Found out she could not specialize in what she really wanted to do because of her personal health problems. With GP as her only choice she decided to drop out. After all her hard work. Anyhow, she still has more drive and ambition than any other person I have ever met in this world. It still pays off, I mean, she makes 2-3 time what I do a year in her job, even though all her schooling is medical and not what she does for a living.

Again, good luck.

JM

• 2 months later...

WELL I GOT MY RESULTS!!!!

This is my score:

Verbal Reasoning = 11 (95th percentile)

Physical Science (Inorganic Chemistry and Physics) = 11 (91st percentile)

Biological Science (Organic Chemistry and Biology) = 10 (82nd percentile)

Total Score: 32 (90th percentile in the nation)!

So out of 58,000 med-school hopefuls this year who took the MCATs, I was outscored by 5,800 and I outscored 52,200... which is pretty dandy to me.

Next stop: medical school!9.gif

Thanks for all your support guys!

----------------

On 8/16/2003 10:31:42 AM m00n wrote:

Hey good luck to you, and good job on your decision to continue your education.

9211.jpg
----------------

m00n, that picture is why it is 11:30 PM on a Sunday night, I just got back from a 10 hour day at work, and I am about to continue on with some of my homework from college. I have a Maisto 1:18 scale Porsche Turbo on top of my monitor, and whenever I don't want to do homework or study, I look at that diecast model and say, "Making $8, 9, 10, 11, 12 an hour at Target is NEVER going to buy that for me, NEVER." - that usually does the trick. 2.gif