Who's winning the SACD vs. DVD-A war?

Mallette

According the the current $tereophile, its the LP! 3 new LP's released for every SACD/DVD-A. Fremer reports that a rep for the West Coast Good Guy's chain placed an order for "hundreds" of Music Hall TT's at the recent HE2003 show. Seems there was a sudden demand and they didn't carry any.

No, I don't expect to see analog come back big, but I don't see it going anywhere but up for a long time to come.

Also, it's BAAAACK. The ELP laser turntable was featured in a full page ad and is being marketed by Smart. Their link is quite dead at the moment. Wanted to see what they were getting for it. Seems they were around 5,000.00 or so from Japan. I suppose the same or more with another layer added. At least I finally found out that it is analog and does not digitize. Plugs into a MM phono stage just like any TT. They said it took 14 years and 20,000,000.00 to develop. I believe serveral companies went under trying to make it work, so perhaps they won't have to make all that back before prices go down. I hope they succeed and produce lower priced models.

Of course, I still don't know what it sounds like... Maybe get a review soon, I hope.

Dave

I got the sample on cd a long time ago. It has been a long time since I've heard it...however all I remember is it sounded horrible! Hiss, pings, very very strange. I guess recording a turntable then playing the cd must give you the worst of both worlds.

-MKL

• Like 1

I can't even imagine how it's laser beams track and read an LP's grooves without any heat damage to the soft vinyl.

And at over $10,000 to start, I guess I never will...

I don't think Rega, Music Hall, clearaudio, VPI et al, will have much to worry about.

If the thing sounds good, seems like the enterprising audio store would get one to sell, then charge about 2 bucks per disc for us to bring our prize LP's in for transfer.

Frankly, I am wondering just how good it sounds, however, especially, in light of the previous post about how bad the CD was.

It's a great idea on paper, and I believe someone will best the needle in groove thing someday, but this may not be it.

As you said, at the price, it certainly isn't it for me.

Dave

Both format camps spent allot of money and never won me.

I only bought my Rp-91 Panasonic because it ...

-did not have the Chroma bug

-was progressive scan

-had DVD-A

I only bought DVD-A because it has Neil Young "Harvest". Although Doobies "Captian and Me" sounds good.

I have only bought 4 DVD-A

In the same time I have bought 350 used vinyl LPs.

Thrift stores and E bay won.

Me too!

I got the sample on cd a long time ago. It has been a long time since I've heard it...however all I remember is it sounded horrible! Hiss, pings, very very strange. I guess recording a turntable then playing the cd must give you the worst of both worlds.-MKL

LOL! It's like talking to a friend over the phone and the friend tries to let you hear how good his sound system is by playing it for you over the phone for you!

I think both formats will survive -- each flourishing in different markets. SACD seems to be favored by the high-end community, and DVD-A is snatching up the mass consumer market. Hell, everyone knows what a DVD is -- but say something about SACD to Joe Six-pack and the eyes glaze over.

I would have agreed with Dean beacuse universal players reduce the risk inherent in a format war. However, Sony has brought out SACD2 which has video on the disk to compete with DVD-A. If the SACD2 is fully backward compatible, then there is no big deal. However, if SACD2 is not fully backward compatible with prior SACD players, it will be the end of SACD IMO.

There is an extensive discussion of SACD2 on the Sound & Vision forum. Unfortunately, facts are hard to come by regarding SACD2.

Bill

Dean's right - both SACD and DVD-A will survive. It's more a matter of how long it will take them both to snuff out the CD. All the record companies would like to kill it because it is the format that let the genie out of the bottle, so to speak. SACD/DVD-A will give a big measure of control back to the copyright owners.

Sometimes I have to stop and remember that most of us here regard music as a passion and HiFi as a hobby. Most people do not. LP's might be enjoying a bit of a resurgence right now, and nothing would make me happier if music producers distributed more LP's of new releases to give that resurgence some legs.

However, I wonder if the resurgence will become a war of attrition, as those not as passionate about reproducing quality music in home return to the convenience of the digital format....leaving LP's as only a niche market....much like it is right now.

Dave,

Try this one out:

http://www.smartdev.com/LT/laserturntable.html

I got a timeout on the page as well, then searched for smartdev in google. The link from there worked, although it was the same address. Go figure!

$10k and up. $400 shipping from Japan.

SmartDev is in Norcross, Georgia.

Marvel

Yeah, it finally came up yesterday. They've some other interesting items on their site.

Aside from the price, I've just got a funny feeling about this thing perhaps not sounding so good. Certainly seems like good theory, and they make a convincing argument...but.

Somebody mentioned they'd ordered the CD and it was terrible.

If it sounded good, it would make since for high end dealers to get one both for possible sale, and to charge 2 bucks a pop for DIY disc transfers, more if they do it.

I still believe someone will find a non-destructive way to play records. I think there is promise in the idea of scanning them and then reading the audio with software.

Dave

C'mon guys.....

SACD, DVD-A, whatever......no where on this site have I heard of the virtues and praises for the 8-track system.

Every time I see one at a flea-market, I tell my wife that 8-tracks will make a come-back and I want to be ready for it.

Actually, my first system had an 8-track record deck. Scarry!

Doug

i'm on my 2nd sacd/dvd changer. i sold my original to a fellow bb'er. i got this one for progressive scan output and improved multi-channel bass management.REALLY like the format,but for 2-ch.sacd,'ya gotta have full-range speakers,and i do!

avman.