Preamp: Eastern Electric MiniMax - I got a good feeling

Thanks, Dean. Yeah, remember the ole days when Mark and I were always arguing about something. I shared an email or two with him about 5 months ago but havent heard from him in awhile. This place always has some sort of ebb and flow.

As for my ole buddy Jeff, I never thought I would ever SEE him on here... We almost gave up the whole forum thing at the same time as well. I met him via the Audio Asylum years ago (or perhaps sharing some mails on the Lamhorns and amps of SET nature). He is one of the few good friends I have made from sharing audio, music, humor, and insanity, not necessarily in that order.

Tim, I wouldnt mind auditioning that unit as well and maybe writing about it. Throw in a word - I was thinking of writing him too. Give it a go and see if you could send it down.

kh

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lynnm, there are many used tube preamps floating around but I think quite a few of the vintage units really dont equal the sound quality of the later units depending. This is one area where I almost always buy later than earlier (relatively speaking). Still, of course, exceptions are made. The PAS units are nice but I dont think on the same par as these two new examples. I actually dont think this is a terrible price to pay in this hobby. If you think that people are dropping over 1.5-3k for speakers, it's not much. The preamp is so much more than a switching box and I just dont think that passive devices really get you all the way there, despite the claims. I have had one sort of passive device or another since the 80s. But you are right, there are cheaper options, some of which we mentioned in the other thread on preamps. And the Basie is surely not that expensive. And Jeff's Pantheon preamp was an insanely good deal considering the build and parts, not to mention the aesthetics. But I rank the pre as one of the devices that is most overlooked and one that tends to drop most systems into mediocre to good category instead of great. Many are underachievers although at least the tube preamp tends to be much better than cheap solid state, the worst of the offenders.

kh

Lynn, I'm sure many here feel the same way. But as you found out -- there are bargains, and I feel very strongly that most of this stuff is all a stone's throw away from each other. Major differences in presentation, but all a real pleasure to listen too.

Here is another linestage like the one I'm waiting on. I paid $255 plus $67 in shipping. The latest feedback makes me hopeful as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3043022669&category=14974

Along with this unit, I am also looking at something else altogether different. I've have pretty much locked down my feelings on amplifiers for now, and have decided to nail down my feelings on preamps as well.

----------------

On 8/25/2003 8:17:06 AM mobile homeless wrote:

At around $1200 new, it's a bargain to some and WAY TOO expensive to others.

kh

----------------

I'm in the latter camp.

Anybody in that AA sewing circle manage to scrounge up a schematic or reverse engineer a Minimax, Minwax or whatever?

Dean, why nail it down? Hell, at first, you go berserk, selling at whim, even when you LOVED the damn thing! Now, you want to NAIL the amp/pre down like a coffin lid! Where is the mean, freak?

Seriously, though, I guess you are really liking the Bruce Moore 70. Then again, you liked a lot of things. You keeping this for the long haul?

kh

ps- Mike, I havent seen one. But I bet one will surface before long somewhere. It doenst look to terribly complicated either.

Because at some point I just have to stop and be content. It's been a fun ride, trying some different things and learning a thing or two -- but it's time to just settle in and listen to the music again. Believe it or not, there was a time where I would go 5 years without buying a piece of gear.

Good transparency and "see through" qualties seem to thin out the soundstage. Good back to front and precise imaging and you lose the expansive/ big and bold aspect. Rich and warm and detail suffers. Good detail and things cool off too much.

The Quicksilvers brought me to what I really like with my music: A well loaded room with a fat and bold soundstage. They seemed to hit the middle ground really well, and did just enough of everything to make me forget the gear. I'll miss them. However, I'll have no trouble picking up another set down the road if need be. They are very affordable, usually coming in at around $900 or so used. Personally, I think EL-34s in parallel kick butt.

The Bruce Moore amp decision was based primarily on wanting to do the one thing I hadn't done yet -- buy an amp that implemented everything I felt was important, and built to a very high standard. You would have to see this thing up close to understand. Will it be my last amp? Probably not -- but it's not likely I will ever sell it.

I want another preamp. Something I can use to change up the flavor of the system. Preamps are good for that.

"Good transparency and "see through" qualties seem to thin out the soundstage. Good back to front and precise imaging and you lose the expansive/ big and bold aspect. Rich and warm and detail suffers. Good detail and things cool off too much."

Some of that is true but it's not as "either/or" as you make it sound. I have heard ALL OF THE ABOVE at once but it's not an easy task. Actually, although not talked about here, system matching is where the magic is really called in (Obviously, magic not used in the literal sense). There is an art to getting all the gear matched to create the whole picture. Buying a bunch of fine gear that is mismatched can leave you less satisfied compared to a lessor quality system matched to perfection. Most systems miss the matching goal, if not the Recommended Components list. This is really where experience and exposure weigh in, not to mention attention to detail.

kh

Oh, Now Here You Guys Go!!! Just when I was getting ready to Try something from A.E.S. in front of my system. You Guys turn and shoot them down. Is A.E.S. gear any good or should I look at something Else? Any of you ever try any of the Rogue Audio Pre's 66 or 99 Magnums??? How do you think they would compare to the A.E. Gear Pre's?

Thanks,

Jalen

Jalen,

No, my AE-3 does not have the remote.

BTW: The only reasons this unit is here is because the U.S. distributor has his office about 5 minutes from my house and he was kind enough to let me take one home to try out.

He also loaded me up with NOS tubes to roll with it.

- tb

Yeah, I kinda figured that.

Had to ask, however.

Have you fired it up yet?

Have fun!

I wish I see the unit in person, I could figure out the majority of that circuit.

Reading up on it last night, I do know it has a well designed Power Supply. Look at the Choke.

Could this contibute to the great sonics?

Hell, they pump the little 6X4 rectifier in the website.

They don't seem to believe in SS power supplies, either.

But I understand it's all about preference.

I've yet to hear a SS rectified tube amp.

I have a little 50C5 Single-ended job that I need to build a full-wave rectifier for. I plan on building a little SS bridge for the thing someday and use a Isolation transformer.

I'm curious to hear the SE circuit with a squalid state rectifier.

But I have more constructive projects,(With tube rectification) so this one will have to wait for awhile.

Amazing how things work. Tim, glad you got a chance to hear this preamp. Drop me a mail. Look forward to your impressions.

Mike, you still on the Joelist? Dont get too wrapped up! heh.. Sounds like you have a lot of things cooking. You might be disappointed with the SS rect. Then again, you might not. There are quite a few that arent bothered by it at all.

How are the Cornwalls with your various tube setups?

kh