What solo continues to blow your mind no matter how many time you hear it?

Allan Songer

Love that "falling off a log" tidbit---that's the one great advantage of CD reissues, the liner notes have some perspective and often have great information. But you know, this solo floats along so effing EFFORTLESSLY (seemingly) I know exactly what Getz was getting at. It's pure genius boiled down to 18 choruses. I'm so glad you found this cut and are appreciating it. And don't you agree that Candoli sounds almost STUNNED when he comes in? Hard to imagine ANYONE blowing Conte Candoli's mind, but it sure sounds that way to me . . .

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about a tough act to follow! He does an admirable job however. Stan tries to cut back in at one point but Candoli gets in a couple more licks before giving up the floor again. The whole tune flows so gracefully you wouldn't know it was 18 choruses. I was shocked to read that. That ones a definite keeper. I'll have to burn a couple copies I think.

Another question while I have Allan's attention. When I was in college, my roommate had a Maxell Jazz Sampler lp with a Buddy Rich song on it. I still have the tape I made but don't know the song or lp from which it came. I love it but can't find what lp it's from. I found a Maxell Jazz Sampler last week and bought it (near mint condition) from the library but no Buddy Rich. Different album. Do you or anyone else know that song?

Lots of fun twists and turns here! I wish we could each play an example for the others to hear. I have wanted to check out some of Buddy Rich's material...it's on my "to buy" list.

Mike, you're right about the Mahav Orch's timing. The overlapping is kinda a drawn out syncopation, which may be a common technique in Eastern Music. Sir John was into the whole "Sri Chinmoy" thing back then. Even Santana got into it for a while and did an album with McLaughlin (Love, Devotion, Surrender).

You need to pick up McLaughlin's "Live at Royal Festival Hall" (1988) if you don't have it. It's one of my "Desert Island" discs. McLaughlin's trio on this album includes reknown percussionist, Trilok Gurtu and Kai Eckard on bass. Both the recording and performance are exceptional. After owning it for 12 years, it still gets a listen on just about a weekly basis.

You're right. Sir John was one of a few who brought that Eastern influence into progressive rock. Don Ellis did that back in the 60s with jazz. That was interesting, because the jazz world was somewhat divided with the guys like Don Ellis, Dave Brubeck and Stan Kenton doing jazz in odd meters, while the traditionalists said "it can't be jazz if it doesn't swing".

I'll check out that live album, I don't have that one.

I gotta add another couple solos that blow me away when I hear them. Don Ellis, New Horizons off Electric Bath. A fast moving arrangement in 17, divided into 5-5-7, where the orchestra kinda talks back and forth between the 5-5 and the 7. Mike Lang comes in on the piano and takes things in a different direction, though maintaining the same time sig with a fabulous solo that later melts into what I think is the whole tone scale, just floating along while Don joins in and takes the solo on trumpet...really moving!

Switching gears, King Crimson. Their live DVD was done in Japan, DeJaVroom. Dinasaur features a solo with Tony Levin playing an electric stand up bass with a bow making it sound more like a cello while Adrian Belew plays chords on the electric synthesized guitar. It's another one of those "moments"!

Bassetized...love yer ID! Are you a bass player or do you just have a large woofer collection?

You're right. Sir John was one of a few who brought that Eastern influence into progressive rock. Don Ellis did that back in the 60s with jazz. That was interesting, because the jazz world was somewhat divided with the guys like Don Ellis, Dave Brubeck and Stan Kenton doing jazz in odd meters, while the traditionalists said "it can't be jazz if it doesn't swing".

What about the even more esoteric Ornette Coleman, Erik Dolphy, or the great Albert Ayler, etc? Ironically enough, Brubeck was "traditional" and predictable in the syncopations which free jazz at its best left way behind. In my view, ole Dave and company were more linear thinkers and less imaginative at improvisation.

kh

----------------

On 9/2/2003 3:08:08 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 9/1/2003 8:32:49 PM reel 2 reel wrote:

Marc- Almond Band....Best Of Live.....tune called "The City" Carlos Rios does a killer elecrtic guitar solo.........gc

----------------

Gary,

I had never heard of Marc Almond until last week when shopping for 50 cent lps at the library. They had boatloads of his stuff and I did buy one sealed lp. Maybe I should have bought more. I'm sure they're still there. If you want I can take orders. I think there were more sealed. I guessed that if so many were available, he must really suck.

----------------

They do suck...I have a couple of LPs by them ,and they really DO suck ...but on the "Best of Live" LP they have a different line up, and Carlos Rios is doing the guitar werk....thats the only part I really like...so it must be the Carlos Rios solo that reaches out and grabs me

Well, you asked for solo, you didn't specify what instrument or what genre, so here I go....

(bracing myself for rotten vegetable throwing)

Randy Rhoads' guitar solo on "Mr. Crowley" (Ozzy Osbourne, Blizzard of Ozz, Jet Records 1980)

Both the solo break between 2nd chorus and 3rd verse, and the closing solo, bring me nearly to tears every time I hear it. Not only for the sheer technical precision, but in the way he toys with me from chord to chord and bar to bar.

I know many a guitarist who flatly refuse to cover this song because to do so would be to either a) ask the impossible (reproducing these solos) or B) desecrating the performance (by attempting a lesser imitiation)

Anyway, you can go back to the jazz now 1.gif

I haven't the time at the moment to read all the replies but I am somewhat overwhelmed in thinking about all of the great stuff that I have missed. I will find time to read all the responses here however.

Four of my favourites:

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Tin Pan Alley

Amos Garrett - Midnight at the Oasis

Martyn Green - When I was a Lad

??? - Drum intro on Neil Diamond's Sooliman (On the Hot August Night Set )

What about the even more esoteric Ornette Coleman, Erik Dolphy, or the great Albert Ayler, etc? Ironically enough, Brubeck was "traditional" and predictable in the syncopations which free jazz at its best left way behind. In my view, ole Dave and company were more linear thinkers and less imaginative at improvisation.

Kelly, I'm afraid I must plead ignorance of the names you put forth, but would be interested if they were "outcasts"...well, maybe not outcasts, but close. I agree that Brubeck was more traditional when compared to Ellis, but I'm not so sure you can say that comparing him to the mainstream jazz artists of the time. Who else had something similar to Blue Rondo a la Turk? Yet, there are parts of BRALT that are a bit traditional sounding, and that's where they solo. So maybe that's where Ellis is even less traditional sounding than Brubeck, and I find myself spinning Ellis more frequently than Brubeck. He was more comfortable maintaining the "non-swing" feel that this new jazz had to offer and therefore the solos were not traditional sounding.

I have been infected. I roomed with a drummer who was bored by almost anything in 4/4 and was in a band with him for a while. He loved odd time signatures and polyrhythms. I have learned to love that kind of music as well, and thus my fascination with Don Ellis, Bill Bruford, King Crimson, Yes, Gentle Giant, Mahavishnu Orchestra and so on. We did our own material which was in all kinds of time sigs, we even had a gig where we had people dancing to 11/8! We did try a cover tune or two, one of which was Straight Note Chaser by Thelonius Monk and that proved to be a challenge! Anyway, this is where I am musically and how I got there. I am not as familiar with a lot of traditional jazz artists as many here are, but over the years I have at times tuned in to hard core jazz stations and liked a lot of what I have heard, but I like most the odd stuff.

David Bromberg's Acoustic guitar solo on Mr. Bojangles

Jerry Garcia's solo on China Doll from 5/19/77 at the Fox Theater in Atlanta, GA.

Neither solos are very technical or precise, but both are loaded with intensity and move me.

I remember from a long ago past that I used to love Dave Brubeck's solo that followed choral piece 'In the Desert' from the "Light in the Wilderness' album.

I'm really enjoying this thread. I'm taking notes and making lists. :)

Forrest

Gary,

Gotta agree with you wholeheartedly re/ Jerry Garcia. Being from the SF Bay Area afforded me the luxury of seeing the Dead many times. I still listen to Europe '72 quite a bit and particularly love The Captain's work on "Tennessee Jed". His sound and style are unmistakable, at least to me. Once at Maples Pavilion (Stanford) I fortunate enough to see Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton and Garcia do a whole set together. Wow! There was another guitar player up in the area back then that you might like. Terry Haggerty of the Sons of Champlin was amazing. They recorded a recent (1999?) live cd that shows him off very well.

Chris

----------------

On 9/4/2003 1:21:34 PM Chris King wrote:

Gary,

Gotta agree with you wholeheartedly re/ Jerry Garcia. Being from the SF Bay Area afforded me the luxury of seeing the Dead many times. I still listen to Europe '72 quite a bit and particularly love The Captain's work on "Tennessee Jed". His sound and style are unmistakable, at least to me. Once at Maples Pavilion (Stanford) I fortunate enough to see Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton and Garcia do a whole set together. Wow! There was another guitar player up in the area back then that you might like. Terry Haggerty of the Sons of Champlin was amazing. They recorded a recent (1999?) live cd that shows him off very well.

Chris

----------------

Chris,

That must of been friggin awesome! I heard Jerry play with a few others but not a lineup like that. My first Dead show ever was '73 RFK with the Allman Bros and Jerry was jammin with Duane and Dickey (I was only 13 so I don't remember it all that well). I always loved it when he would come on stage with the opening act at RFK. He did a killer "Everybody Must Get Stoned" with Dylan and his band in the late eighties. Those old stands at the stadium were rocking up and down about 3 feet during that song. I thought they would collapse for sure.

Woodog,

That's one show I don't have in my collection. Do you have it on tape or was it a Dick's Picks? Those '77 shows were Jerry's best by far. If you don't have that Englishtown show, it's a must (Dick's Picks 15). I know at least 20 people who were turned into deadheads just by listening to that version of Eyes.

Ahhhh, the Grateful Deal. Sigh . . .

I lived in Berkeley and San Francisco, CA from '73 until '84 and was SURROUNDED by Deadheads for much of that time. I resisted the music because it all sounded like one extended loose jam with no beginning, no end, in fact, NO END IN SIGHT. Some of those solos went ON and ON well after everything that needed to be said had been said three or four times. I'm referring to the "live tapes" these guys (and one girl) collected--they must have had a couple of hundred shows on tape EASY and they would listen to them ALL THE TIME. I'll bet of all the music they listened to, 80-90% was Dead or some Dead-spin off group. Dedicated fans to be sure.

Anyway, I was finally convinced to go to a show at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley--this must have been '74 or '75, but maybe it was as late as '77--hard to remember EXACTLY. I went with a group of about ten Deadheads who ALL dropped acid--I was the only one who didn't. I never liked LSD and maybe that's why I could never get into the Grateful Dead, I dunno.

Anyway, I was at the show early--we were sitting in the sun sweating--it was a hot Fall day if I remember correctly and we sat there waiting and waiting, but nobody seemed to mind the wait at all BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL EFFED UP ON LSD!! Anyway, the Grateful Dead stumbled out on the stage and started messing around with their amps and instruments--alot of noodling and tuneing up that went ON AND ON for like 10-15 mintues. All of the people with me were having a contest it seems to see who could name the first tune--I guess they were listening intently to the noodling and hoping to catch a whiff of what the first song would be. I don't know what the prize was for naming the tune, but they were ALL really trying hard. Meanwhile, Bob Weir stumbled up to the mike and said "all of my stuff works, but some of Jerry's stuff doesn't work yet" and then backed away. The effing around with the equipment went on for like another 10-15 mintues and then someone strarted chunking out some chords (probably Jerry Garcia?) and the band fell in behind him and the guy on my left screamed "Sugar Mag" and it turned out he was right and the concert was ON!

The show went on for about 3 and a half hours with no breaks at all, one tune melding into the next, utter chaos musically at times but there were some REALLY great moments of interplay and improvisation as well (two ham-fisted drummers with a gajillion things to beat on had a GREAT interplay as I remember). I found that I didn't hate the music at all--it was boring at times, but it was a lot better than I expected! They finished the show with a 45 minute jam on "Johnny B. Goode" and everyone was left smiling.

I never went to another Grateful Dead concert, but I'm sure glad I went to this one. And I'm glad I resisted the offer of a couple of hits of LSD because I probably wouldn't remember ANY of it otherwise!

Anyway, this is an "ousider's" memory of a classic-era Grateful Dead concert.

Good story Allan. And it pretty much mirrors my feeling on that band. One NEEDS to see them LIVE at least once, although I wouldnt be too down on the LSD part. Hell, it's the only way I could see them although it wasnt that specifically. Let me tell you, the only way I can WITNESS ANYTHING at a DEAD show is either on psilocybin or Acid. I prefer the former. Even still, it was tough. But it's worth it at least once. Recommended but make sure the humans you are around have enough brain matter.

As for the music, I have to plead PAIN here as I just would rather put a bullet through my temple that listen to an extended DEAD jam session on ye olde system. Take a look at Allan's description and mine mirrors it. I have been playing in bands for 25 years and STILL dont like extended noodle jams that have the DEAD feel. I would rather hear a jackhammer with feedback. Literally. ACtually, I wouldnt mind this on any odd day.

Before you DEAD HEADS get riled up and up in arms, I appreciate a few of the things Sir Jerry and brethren accomplished. Give me Hendrix, old Clapton (he should have stayed on drugs), Page, Townshend, Harrison, Burden etc etc. But for the love of St. Nick, a DEAD jam puts me into a catatonic stare much like bad reggae. And I am a DRUMMER!

Enjoyed the story, though. I feel sorry for those that didnt get to see/experience the original band (and its various incarnations) live. It makes it.

kh

Greetings:

Being a guitar person, my list is topped with the solo from Bob Seger's "Like A Rock."

I would follow that with Eric Claptons licks in "Wonderful Tonight"

Then a listen to the solo in Jefferson Starship's "Miracles."

Hendrix has his own special place.

On a Hammond B-3, I would go with the albeit too short solo from The Stones "I got the Blues."

I'll cut it short here, if I think too much about it, the list would be too long, but I will add Janis's voice as a solo in "Me and Bobby McGee."

Win dodger

OK, i guess i'll add.

guitar: Richard Thompson-"Why Must I Plead" that little acoustic solo at the end of the song.

Tom Verlaine-"Little Johnny Jewel"(from the "Blow Up"-just about the whole song

Tony Rice-"Native American"-the whole damn album

Micheal Schenker-"Mother Mary" from Some Enchanted Evening

Jimmy Page-"Ten Years Gone"-from JP & Black Crowes cd

Bass!!!:Lemmy-Stone Dead Forever, Keep us on the Road,

Mike Watt-"Chemical Wire" from If'n (i know, not a true solo, but it sticks out enough to be heard)

more stuff later, if i can.

i'm sorta stumped about listing favorite or best or anything like that. reminds me to much of being 13 years old and having moronic arguments with my friends over who was the best guitarist, drummer, band whatever.