Racks

joshnich

I am starting to look for a new rack / stand for my components. My main system is currently on an inexpensive VTL 4 shelf rack. The system includes a Turntable , Preamp, Phono stage, Power amp, Line Conditioner and a SACD changer. I need a little more room, but the main reason I am looking is because I dont like the cheap look of the VTL - particularly the fake wood grain shelfs.

Any ideas/insight would be great

Thanks

josh

The threaded rod approach can end up looking very nice ala the Salamander Designs rack below in cherry. Ultimately, I dont think this rack is the best at equipment isolation, however though damn good.

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/archetype/imgs/arc_a5chry.jpg

The Michael Green "Deluxe Justarack" was the best of this breed and spawned the imitators. IT was a heavy beast with over 1 inch threaded rods and THICK SHELVES, at over 2". You see them used on Audiogon every once in awhile in various finishes.

Still there are a ton of options now. Guy has a nice rack that I think can be found in the five shelf variety in the "DON GARBER" thread. See the pics. He has the two shelf version.

ZOETHECUS SUPERSTRUCTURES

Some of these option get expensive. They are some really HEAVY DUTY options though. I'll dig them up.

kh

Thanks Kelly,

I think that the price is pretty much open because if I do not find something more aesthetic my wife wil hire a cabinet maker to build something - which I will more than likely cost a fair coin. But like most folks I wold love to get something that looks and "sounds" good without spending an arm or a leg - much like I think most of us on this forum approach this hobby.

The truth is I dont really know what my budget should be on this. I am not adverse to DYI depending on the woodworking tools needed.

Thanks again

josh

Well, what is the gear going on THIS rack? You have that nice VPI HW-19 which would like a good stand too (via top shelf). At least HW-19 arent as finicky as the Linn LP-12. What's the "exact" pieces going on the rack?

In all actuality, you are probably NOT going to opt for the DIY approach. This can look nice and perform well but the expense of getting some really nice wood might bring it up. It essentially involves four threaded rods that to me need to be at least 3/4" diameter in my view (the 1/2 is too chintzy and thin). If you want this approach there are links and instructions.

On the other hand, there are some very nice racks now that are excellent sonically and aethetically, especially if your gear looks neat and yours DOES.

What are the pieces going there?

kh

Kelly,

An idea when using smaller diameter threaded rod is to use 3/4 inch or 1 inch conduit over it as a spacer. We did this at work, by using a fine grit sandpaper on the conduit and then spraying with a clear acrylic. From even a short disance away it looks like brushed stainless. We didn't sand the length of the tube, but around the tube. A little tedious, but not at all hard. I suppose you could get some goofy resonance with the conduit over the rod, but it works okay and looks pretty classy.

Marvel

The gear going on the rack is as follows...

VPI HW 19 TT

Wright Phono stage

Carey SLP 88 Preamp

Cary Rocket 88 R Amp ( BTW the R retrofit made this an amazing piece. - an unbelievable improvement!)

Sony scd222es SACD Changer

Adcam Line conditioner

Thats the gear for now ...but you never know!

Thanks again

Josh

The threaded rod approach can end up looking very nice ala the Salamander Designs rack below in cherry. Ultimately, I dont think this rack is the best at equipment isolation, however though damn good.

arc_a5chry.jpg

The Michael Green "Deluxe Justarack" was the best of this breed and spawned the imitators (much heavier than the above rack). IT was a heavy beast with over 1 inch threaded rods and THICK SHELVES, at over 2". You see them used on Audiogon every once in awhile in various finishes.

Still there are a ton of options now. Guy has a nice rack that I think can be found in the five shelf variety in the "DON GARBER" thread. See the pics. He has the two shelf version.

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/guy_system_650.jpg

ZOETHECUS SUPERSTRUCTURES

Some of these option get expensive. They are some really HEAVY DUTY options though. I'll dig them up.

kh

I like my flexirack -- made from materials costing less than $50 at a Home Depot, 1/2" MDF and 5/8" threaded rod.

I have the woodworking skills that allow me to do things like lick envelopes and seldom wound myself upon so doing.

This is a crummy picture from my cracker-jack box digital camera, but my wife actually said she liked(!) the looks of the rack. I guess compared to the pile of manure I was using beforehand.

EDIT- oh, and the most amazing thing is the ability to defy gravity. Really need a good tracking tonearm though.

post-3500-13819249067656_thumb.jpg

http://www.needledoctor.com/core/media/media.nl?id=2860&c=ACCT106601&h=45fef7c8476dbfdb7d3f

The Needle Doctor has some rack options, too. The above comes in a five shelf version too but not listed at the moment. It is not much over $225 or so. It can be had with dark rods or steel with various colored shelves. Again, this if you dont want to mess with contruction.

See the Plateau GS Series Racks

kh

Any thoughts regarding shelf material for a flexi-rack? I'm sure there is no panacea solution, so here is the list of equipment from top down (tentative):

AR-XA TT w/ Extremephono mat

HH Scott 299C

DVPNV-650V (Sony DVD/SACD 5-disc)

JVC VCR & Sat box to share shelf

I seem to recall people with sprung TTs preferring a heavy & rigid surface.

Also the rack would be going on oak floors over regular wood beam and joist construction.

About a year ago, I bought a couple of these racks at Circuit City for $99 each. They were advertised as TV stands, but they work very well as audio racks. The shelves are made of MDF and the posts are 3" steel tubes. The shelves are not adustable, as the tubes are a fixed length. The rack itself is very sturdy and heavy. It probably weighs about 60 pounds and is capable of holding several hundred pounds of weight. I didn't like the silver posts, so I painted them black. I'm very happy with them, especially considering the price.

gus1.jpg