Thanks John Albright

Woodog

I read your recommendations for Holly Cole and Diana Krall in another thread way back in July... made some notes...

went shopping today and picked up a CD by each of those...

Holly Cole - It Happened One Night

Diana Krall - Love Scenes

sweet!

I really like the Diana Krall the best, but both are excellent.

Now there are about 25 other notes... 3.gif

forrest

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never even heard of Diana Krall until this BB. Now I have 3 of her CDs (Love Scenes is my favorite). I also listen to jazz more than any other type of music (even more than the Dead). I never would have guessed that a year ago. My wife hates it though.14.gif She says it's a guy thing.

Great forum!1.gif

My wife hates the jazz as well. Espically the hard bop stuff. Last time we drove east she was excited when I threw some country in the player. She ain't never got excited about that before. Diana Krall works fine for her but not more than one CD at a time.

----------------

On 9/14/2003 1:39:34 AM PAR69 wrote:

I have both the "Live in Paris" and "Love Scenes" -- both are awesome. Any other suggestions for her work to look for?

Paul

----------------

"When I Look In Your Eyes" is great also. "Let's Face The Music And Dance" is my favorite song of hers.

I was never a great fan of jazz until I bought my KLF30's and joined this merry little band. Various comments about quality jazz recordings lead to me to expand my horizons , totally rebuild my system and deplete my bank account.

Those sweet 30's now live elsewhere having been replaced with a pair of Khorns.

Back to the subject at hand:

I have found that using quality equipment and interacting with my forum mates has opened me up to experiencing/appreciating music and artists that I would never have considered even 5 years ago.

How many of us have found that membership in this forum has actually enriched our lives ( If not our bank accounts 9.gif) ??

Re: Diana Krall

A few years ago I was reading a report on the CES and the author when discussing the high end audio displays said something to the effect :

I love Diana Krall but after 3 days at the CES I became fearful that If I heard her voice coming from one more audio room - I might hurl 9.gif

I guess I'm not too surprised to hear that her recordings are used at CES. Besides the way it sounds, her voice has been so well recorded and mastered that I was instantly drawn to it.

Have any of you heard she is going to marry Elvis Costello?! 8.gif How could THAT happen?

You are welcome to the recommendation. I was hoping others would enjoy her as much as I do.

Also check out Nora Jones. Andy (HDBRBuilder) played her CD for us in Indy on his gorgeous Heresies. That is a well recorded CD, too.

Alright, now don't anyone do anything drastic, and this might even be common knowledge for all I know, but I read the other day that Diana Krall is engaged to Elvis Costello! Engaged in what?, you say. Well, engaged to be married, apparently. Talk about wanting to hurl!!14.gif

No disrespect to Krall and Cole, but if you want to hear some REALLY GOOD female jazz vocals try these! I've left off anything that isn't "Hi-Fi" so don't worry about bad sound.

Helen Merrill "Helen Merrill" on Emarcy

Helen Merrill "Dream of You" Emarcy

Chris Connor "Chirs Connor" Atlantic

Chris Connor "Live at the Village Gate" Atlantic

Sarah Vaughn "Sarah Vaughn" Emarcy

Sarah Vaughn "No Count Sarah" Mercury

Anita O'Day "Pick Yourself Up" Verve

Anita O'Day "Sings the Most" Verve

Billie Holiday "Songs for Disingue Lovers" Verve

Billie Holiday "All or Nothing At All" Verve

Helen Carr "Down at the Depths of the 90th Floor" Bethlehem

Joy Bryan "Make the Man Love Me" Contemporary

Helen Humes "Songs I Like to Sing" Contemporary

Betty Carter "The Modern Sound" ABC Paramount

Abbey Lincoln "Straight Ahead" Candid

Carmen McRae "The Great American Songbook" Atlantic

Well, that's enough to get you started. I guarantee that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE RECORDS IS BETTER THAN ANYTHING YOUR HAVE HEARD from Krall and Cole and Barber and . . .

Since when did the decade in which art is created determine its value? (Some of these recordings are from the 60's and 70's by the way.)

I like Diana Krall--used to hear her live ALL THE TIME with Clayton and Hamilton in the early 90's. She's a solid pianist and sings OK too--she's GOOD. BUT she is NOT anywhere near the talent level of the women listed above--sorry. But she is active today, so I wholeheartedly support her by buying her records and hearing here live when I can.

Just do yourself a favor and buy 3 or 4 of the discs listed above and you'll understand where I'm coming from.

----------------

On 9/14/2003 7:09:28 PM garymd wrote:

Beauty is only skin deep I guess.Reminds me of Julia Roberts and that country singer.

----------------

OMG... that would be the amazingly talented Lyle Lovett. That dude is uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugly... but man, he can rock!

His keyboard sideman, Matt Rollings, is one of the best on the road today.

Forest

----------------

On 9/14/2003 7:09:59 PM Allan Songer wrote:

No disrespect to Krall and Cole, but if you want to hear some REALLY GOOD female jazz vocals try these! I've left off anything that isn't "Hi-Fi" so don't worry about bad sound.

Helen Merrill "Helen Merrill" on Emarcy

Helen Merrill "Dream of You" Emarcy

Chris Connor "Chirs Connor" Atlantic

Chris Connor "Live at the Village Gate" Atlantic

Sarah Vaughn "Sarah Vaughn" Emarcy

Sarah Vaughn "No Count Sarah" Mercury

Anita O'Day "Pick Yourself Up" Verve

Anita O'Day "Sings the Most" Verve

Billie Holiday "Songs for Disingue Lovers" Verve

Billie Holiday "All or Nothing At All" Verve

Helen Carr "Down at the Depths of the 90th Floor" Bethlehem

Joy Bryan "Make the Man Love Me" Contemporary

Helen Humes "Songs I Like to Sing" Contemporary

Betty Carter "The Modern Sound" ABC Paramount

Abbey Lincoln "Straight Ahead" Candid

Carmen McRae "The Great American Songbook" Atlantic

Well, that's enough to get you started. I guarantee that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE RECORDS IS BETTER THAN ANYTHING YOUR HAVE HEARD from Krall and Cole and Barber and . . .

----------------

wow.. thanks Allan.

forrest