Macintosh fraud

sheltie dave

Hi guys! Happy weekend!

I'm Dave's wife and I just want to forward this warning.

There is a guy on eBay called frankjones59@aol.com trying to sell a Macintosh 240 in Chandler, MN. He claims he'll honor money orders or cashier's checks, that is until you win, like I did. Then he insists on Western Union to Germany (Berlin).

Here's his latest e-mail. I have, of course, reported him, but I'm not holding my breath:

Return-Path:

Received: from imo-m03.mx.aol.com (imo-m03.mx.aol.com <64.12.136.6>)

by camel.propagation.net (8.9.3p2/8.8.5) with ESMTP id FAA26261

for ; Sat, 20 Sep 2003 05:22:30 -0500

Received: from FrankJones59@aol.com

by imo-m03.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v36_r1.1.) id 8.d3.22701b4c (15887)

for ; Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:27:10 -0400 (EDT)

Received: from aol.com (mow-m01.webmail.aol.com <64.12.184.129>) by air-id08.mx.aol.com (v96.6) with ESMTP id MAILINID82-3e0f3f6c2b7eed; Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:27:10 -0400

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:27:10 -0400

To: c....@cberding.com

Subject: Re: Congratulations!

MIME-Version: 1.0

Message-ID: <5C028DC1.72252B17.1C87A503@aol.com>

X-Mailer: Atlas Mailer 2.0

X-AOL-IP: 212.54.114.196

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Sir,

No offense but I think I'm going crazy...

I don't need a cashier's check here.I can get a significant discount from stores in bankruptcy only if I pay cash.This is the reason why I want to use instant cash transfer services.

I will pay for the shipping cost and you for the money transfer fee(around $70).

SO,If you want my ****ing McIntosh MC 240 send the ****ing money today or tomorrow.If not ,I assure you that it was a real pleasure to talk with you.

I apologize for my language but believe me ,you are so stubborn and you made me so nervous.

Thank you for understanding!

Frank

Here's a couple of great sites I found while searching last night on google.com for "western union" and "ebay" and "scam". In other words, Western Union = 95% bogus. FYI eBay will not cover ANY transactions via Western Union for fraud protection.

http://www.audioweb.com/Ad/AdSearch.asp?mode=1&adsummary=1&adcategoryid=2

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/snipe_gt/

So, Dave goes out of town, and you, his wife, start buying audio gear on eBay? Can you talk to my wife? She'd probably start selling my stuff. No, it'd go to the thrift store.

Good for you for not sending that rat any money. And thank you for the alert. Did you check his feedback before bidding? I pay close attention to the negative comments. If you are in a position to leave negative feedback for him, I would certainly do so. He most certainly would respond with negative feedback for you, but you can respond to that. Good luck!

fini

Hello all,

It's Dave's wife (Colleen) again...here's an update on the Macintosh story.

After the expletive laden e-mail I got from TGY (the german yahoo) Saturday insisting that I send him $1400 immediately, I sent him an e-mail and told him to keep it. He told me he'll just re-list it, like it was nothing.

Would anyone leave negative feedback? I know this guy can get my address.

Frankly, he hasnt really done anything to you yet besides go over the top in an email and change his billing preference. Admittedly, this showed a tremendous lack of couth and was unprofessional. But in reality, the guy let you off the hook, said you didnt have to buy the piece of gear, and reposted it without holding you to your auction winning bid. Actually, it's his right to ask how he wants payment, even if is seems extreme. And at the moment, you cant tell he has instigated fraud.

I would not leave negative feedback. You are off the hook and can go on searching for another amp. For all you know, this guy MIGHT NOT BE A CROOK as nothing has happened yet.

Personally, I would count your blessings and move on.

kh

Dean,

we have not hooked them up yet, but I am getting them familiar with the cornerhorn that each will be driving! They have been patiently waiting for a preamp, and the first week I was out here in WA, I bought an AES 3. Everything is waitng for my return to be connected, and then will be waiting another month for me to finish the uranium mill demo.

I will have time to put everything together, but it is our anniversary next weekend, and we have Colleen's work party, her family reunion, and lots of honey-do errands deferred for a month. Not a weekend to sit down and listen for two or three hours to the new stereo(FINALLY!!!)8.gif

I will let you know in December how it all sounds, and I may need some advice on what interconnects to use and where to get them for a reasonable price. I want most of my extra money going for baby toys for the little one. We hope your wife and jr. are doing well!

Thanks

Any instant cash transfer,forget about it,no way,SCAM,you did the right thing,no need to leave feedback if you didn't complete.If anyone changes the rules,they have broken the agreement and are not trustworthy,imho.Thanks for the tip.

Colleen,

Nice move backing out of the deal. I got all my gear on EBay, and "knock on wood" have met up with respectable sellers each time.

One of the things I always look at is WHERE the seller is from for various reasons (shipping, etc.). If I read your post correctly, the seller listed Mn. but actually lives in Germany.

I take that as major misrepresentation. Do as you will.

Here's the latest...from an eBay member I got today...

Hello,

I noticed that you recently used BUY IT NOW to purchase a Mcintosh MC240 amplifier on Ebay....Today the same amp was again up for auction,did the deal fall through?

I'm not being nosey,but I'd like to purchase the amplifier,I then noticed its on Audiogon for $1695 with a different username but same pic and description

Please let me know if this is a fraud before I make payment

Thanks,

Mac

Coincidence? Hmmm....

Possibly. But MANY people use the same descriptions borrowed from others in ebay and/or Audiogon. IF you have been in here awhile, you will see some of my pictures of various pieces of gear, some mine, some not. I do a lot of work to these, especially if starting from scratch here. I cant count how many times people have used my pictures and even my exact words when selling the same gear. It's happened so many times, it doesnt bother me. I had one ebay clown actually use my ENTIRE AD for his Adcom. Ditto with B&K amps and ye olde EICO HF-81, probably the worst offender. I dont mind if they say this item is NOT theirs in the picture. But more than a few will pass it on as their amp or piece of gear. This literally just happened last month again with an EICO HF-81.

So dont assume this is the same guy until doing some digging. Even so, many DO ALSO post the gear on Audiogon AND ebay. I am not saying this guy is NOT a crook; but I am saying just be sure before assuming too much. Yes, there are some suspicious things. So far, I see no proof the guy is really a crook yet. He sure isnt one you want to deal with, however.

kh

Hey everyone,

checked on audiogon, where this gentleman now has the listing, and he has jacked the price up $295 and has moved to California - but he still wants the Western Union sent to Germany. A second buyer walked as well after reading of our misadventure, as he ran into the same instraigence. I still have not figured out where he claims the amp is located, but he was unwilling to use an escrow service.

He undoubtably will find some starstruck novice with more lira than cranium.