What is the most musical speaker..........?

Gilbert

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I have been familiar with ML since their very first products which came out about the same time I was finishing my listening room."

Well, the statement is the only speakers with a sub tower and they go for closer to 80k. Its one of those things I guess. Don't know what speaker you heard, but yet you know all about the M&L sound. I think their first products came out in the early 80's and they have come along ways since then. JR

Tony, no, I didn't see them. Must have just went on. Actually that is exactly what I was thinking. Two more of those for a pair of Cornwalls on the rear channels. I really would like to try the 5.1 surround on SACD. Unfortunately, I don't have a 5.1 decoder/receiver yet (nor the extra Cornwalls). Alas, timing is everything. And I have to be in the middle of not only making some major acoustical improvements to my music room, but also in the middle of a kitchen remodeling. Not to mention the damn stock I sold short & loosing my *** on at the moment. I guess I could tap the home equity line of credit that's alost 100% open. But that's just for home improvements & emergencies. Hey wait! This could be considered a home improvement & emergency, right? 1.gif

Mine are still using the original tubes like the ones on ebay. Very Rare. Fortunately, I recently was able to get my hands on 17 brand new 8045G for only $700 and 30 brand new 6240G (driver tube) for $840. Used 8045G frequently go for about $150 each.

it occured to me that two more could potentially reck all the design/construction done to date but...oh boy! gotta strive for something no? I would think the extra two should be la scalas, belles or heresey's not corns, no? wouldn't they match the k-horn's and belle's voicing better. also I guess the two extra channels would only make sense if you went HT...that means a screen, projector and processor...hmmm...could be the next great mania to grip you in this hobby (disease)...swapping tubes out/modding would be a crime on those amps IMHO...I am still pining for some citation IIs...regards, tony

Well, I remember back in about 1972 or 3 listening to a lot of Ohm "F" speakers.

They sounded pretty good.

Bot O stock woth mo orogonol stotomont, khorn is the most musical speaker I've ever heard. And I've heard a bunch. Four or maybe even five by now.

It's a different argument whether the khorn is any good, or whether ANY speaker is any good.

But for the statement "most musical", khorn is it.

----------------

On 9/22/2003 2:47:13 PM edster00 wrote:

There are also 2 pair of those bad boys at AudiogoN...
and
. Both of these sets of amps have been converted for KT-88 use, is that a good thing?

----------------

No Ed, that is very very bad. Almost all of them out there have been modified. KT88/6550 do not do the amp any justice. Niether does EL34. All have less than 1/3 the plate current capacity of 8045G. The 6LF6 modifcation that Futterman did is much better. The 6LF6 is no longer made either. Supposedly, 6L6G will work in there too but biased at a much lower current.

The ironic part is, many years ago, I was looking for a potentially 'better' tube to use. I spoke with an engineer from Luxman & specifically mentioned KT88/6550. And he is the one who explained to me why KT88 didn't really do the amp any justice. Supposedly 8045G is based on some predecessor. A friend of mine on the east coast has been tracking it down for a while. Wouldn't it be interesting if 8045G is descended from 845 or 45? 9.gif

Craig, I seem to have many Japanese 'connections'. My wife has worked for several Japanesse companies for the last 20+ years. And my audiophile friend in Japan who's a contributing editor for Audio Basic (Japan) who did a write up about my room/system last year tipped me off on these.

Tony, I agree. I really haven't settled on anything yet for the rear channels. My thinking was the Cornwalls go a little deeper than Belle or LaScala. And at low levels seem carry a bit more 'weight' on the low end. The mid/high horns also sit at higher (to ear) level. Actually I like the footprint of the RF7 better. Would fit in the space I left better. But they probably won't match up sonically as well with the Khorns.

Vienna Accoustic Beethoven's powered by a B&K REF2002 and PT5B. The subwoofer was a REL Stadium III, Denon HDCD and the CD was Norah Jones and then Diana Krall, Pomps and Pipes and finally my classical music compilation, Mozart, Beethoven and Tr. It was awesome. If I ever get speakers, non Klipsch, at this point it would be that system.

Craig, actually I don't know about the first 2. As for the bias setting, I've always used 0.75 volts as the manual suggests. These amps do not bias up like most amps. Its a two part process. You have to adjust the DC Balance inconjunction with the bias. Because of the cross-shunt design, changing one, changes the other in the opposite direction. The voltages can swing up & down, like a teeter tauter & you have to wait for it to settle down before making further adjustment (pain-in-the-***). I'll find out the other stuff from my friend on the east coast.

Justin. I'm so ashamed. Vienna Beethovens? My God. IMHO, those are one of the great rip-offs of all time. Almost as bad as DynaAudio. Nice looking speakers that can't do s***. Why do you think Tweeter no longer carries Klipsch? It's because they can make twice as much on the Vienna's. I've seen it happen. Vienna in the 'high-end' room with Martin Logan. Klipsch RF7's in the 'mid-fi room'. Salesman tries to steer the customer to Vienna. Customer walks out with Klipsch. It's no wonder they couldn't sell the higher profit Vienna's & ML's with Klipsch in the next room. IN THE NEXT ROOM. Not even side by side.

Artto,

I bet if you added some extra filtering on the Bias supply it would help limit the effects while adjusting the bias. Let me know when you find out what voltage it runs those tubes at I'm just curious as to how high it is. Not many amps run voltage very much higher then KT88's are capable of running at. That 8045G tube is like a ghost to try and hunt down some information on !

Craig

On 9/22/03 at 11:12pm Artto wrote:

Get off my back Gilbert. (thanks your defense Kelly) I've owned Klipsch speakers for a longer time than many folks on this Forum have been alive. Cornwalls were my first Klipsch speakers (1973). And didn't buy them for their 'musical (colored) qualities'. I bought them because they were far more accurate than other potential candidates available at the time. I define accurate as the speaker's ability reproduce sound in life-like manner. Not as how 'musical' it sounds. Yes, I subscribe to PWK's point of view that the more accurate the reproducer, the worse it sounds until all other sources of distortion (including those induced by it's interaction with the room) are minimized, or eliminated, if possible.

Kelly is correct in that there are obviously some sematical differences involved here.

And what speakers do I like? That should be pretty obvious. One does not sink $15K (1982$) into building a dedicated listening room designed around a specific set of speakers that he/she doesn't like.

No, I'm not a "polotician". I assume 'politician' is what you meant..............don't get me started man! Most politicians are attorneys. And attorneys are..........well, let's not go there.

============================================================

OK, OK, Artto, don't get upset. Daaaaammmnn! Boy, did you (and Kelly) interpret me incorrectly. I am not an antogonist.

As for my spelling, well, I know it atrocious; But hey, I'm engineer, and spelling is not my strong point. However, I do beleive we share the same feelings about attorneys. Most I would say, are the scum of the earth.

And as for the definition of Musical, (at least as I intended it in this tread); it is simply this, the speakers ability to reproduce sound (in this case music) as it was recorded.

End of question. Good night. Geeeees!