What is the most musical speaker..........?

Gilbert

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I only have two recordings: Journey and Mudvayne.

Linkin Park's first effort was actually pretty good.

Seems I remember a time when people said the same kinds of things about Elvis and The Beatles. You guys think you're "sophisticated", when in actuality you're just turning into old farts.9.gif

Dean,

don't tell me you got rid of Chevelle 2.gif Its funny how by and large some people seem the resent any group that reached commercial success. How can music that millions bought, attended concerts for and is still played widely after 20 years be completely bad ? I guess the majority are all deaf !

Craig

Hmm...most musical or best speakers I've heard? Several come to mind. The Duntech Sovereign were incredible at Audition in Birmingham, AL using some DAT tapes of a local symphony. (HUGE speakers, about 450 lbs a piece and $20k). Others would be the KEF 107, Carver Amazing Platinum IVs, B&W 801s, and of course the KHorns (which I'd buy if I had two corners for them). But, for now, I'll settle for my 1979 Cornwalls. 1.gif

Regards,

Dave

Commercial success is a wonderful thing! A good friend and neighbor has had a book on the NY Times bestseller list for the past 60 weeks or so. She's a wonderful person who never had ANY commerical success in her entire life until last year and she's been writing for about twenty years. I still can't believe the book has sold so many millions of copies--my gut reaction when I first read it was "no commerical success possible." Shows what I know.

I'm going to hear Sam Rivers on Thursday at the Jazz Bakery (his 80th birthday!). He should be selling out Disney Hall for this, but there will probably be about 150 people there.

Commercial success is an elusive thing--you can be LOUSY and achieve amazing success or have amazing talent and be at the margins your entire career. And of course the opposite is possible as well. If I could figure out why I'd be a rich man.

----------------

On 9/22/2003 10:03:35 AM Allan Songer wrote:

I'm going to hear Sam Rivers on Thursday at the Jazz Bakery (his 80th birthday!). He should be selling out Disney Hall for this, but there will probably be about 150 people there.

----------------

Allan,

My wife was a huge Nils Lofgrin fan in high school when he had his own band "Grin" while still playing lead for the E street Band.

A few years ago I heard that he was coming to Baltimore to the Hard Rock Cafe for 1 night. I suprised my wife and took her there for dinner, not telling her about Nils.

He is such a great talent and it blew me away when we were 2 of about 10 people there to see him. We ended up eating dinner with Nils and his family (they are all grew up near us) and had a great time. I did feel bad for him that so few people showed. All the better for us though.

----------------

On 9/22/2003 8:42:51 AM NOSValves wrote:

How can music that millions bought, attended concerts for and is still played widely after 20 years be completely bad ? I guess the majority are all deaf !

Craig

----------------

For the same reason that KFC and McDonald are still around selling their food.

There are just enought of the right clientele for them.

----------------

On 9/21/2003 7:34:29 AM mobile homeless wrote:

A. Finally, it's tough to slam a product when the whole system is in play, any which can be a culprit in the reproduction. And a place like Tweeter is highly likely to have many bad variables in the mix from setup to system matching.

B. On the other hand, ironically enough, within is range, I would probably say the top end of the MartinLogan electrostatic is probably a more accurate speaker than the Heritage Klipsch although LESS musical (I dont have the same interpretation of the term musical). Would I chose them? Probably not as the range in question can be pretty narrow and the needs from the amplifiers very specific. Tube amplification on MartinLogan has never been a loving bond. And ultimately, the MartinLogan solution never really moved me emotionally although it can be a ruthless tool in uncovering gear upstream.

kh

----------------

A. No Kidding.

B. I would have to say just the opposite. To me, ML is a very 'musical' sounding speaker, albeit one that cannot (IMO) do the'live thang'. I have been familiar with ML since their very first products which came out about the same time I was finishing my listening room. I have found Khorns (specifically), (Heritage series in general) to be far more brutally honest than ML, and benefit from superior recordings, electronics & acoustics more than ML, while at the same time exposing any faults and limitations of everything in front of it & the room with the sound on the way to your ears. (ie: IMO, an amp like a Crown D150 can be excruciating on a Khorn, especially in a bad room. IMO, speakers like ML tend to 'smooth' those kinds of things over. Quite frankly, I don't think I've ever heard an ML sound excrutiating. That, right there tells me something is wrong)

----------------

On 9/21/2003 9:52:51 AM Gilbert wrote:

"'Musical', in this sense, to me, is another subjective perception description which implies a "having pleasing harmonious qualities". Which is another way of saying the audio component has a specific coloration."

Hey Artto, are you a polotician? I thought it was a straight forward question. I beleive everyone on the forum understands the obvious roll that the driving components have on the sound quality, but Jesus.....

From your first post, it sounds to me like you don't like you Khorns and Cornwalls. How long have you owned them, and why havn't you sold them for something you do like.

By the way, what speakers do you like, if any?

----------------

Get off my back Gilbert. (thanks your defense Kelly) I've owned Klipsch speakers for a longer time than many folks on this Forum have been alive. Cornwalls were my first Klipsch speakers (1973). And didn't buy them for their 'musical (colored) qualities'. I bought them because they were far more accurate than other potential candidates available at the time. I define accurate as the speaker's ability reproduce sound in life-like manner. Not as how 'musical' it sounds. Yes, I subscribe to PWK's point of view that the more accurate the reproducer, the worse it sounds until all other sources of distortion (including those induced by it's interaction with the room) are minimized, or eliminated, if possible.

Kelly is correct in that there are obviously some sematical differences involved here.

And what speakers do I like? That should be pretty obvious. One does not sink $15K (1982$) into building a dedicated listening room designed around a specific set of speakers that he/she doesn't like.

No, I'm not a "polotician". I assume 'politician' is what you meant..............don't get me started man! Most politicians are attorneys. And attorneys are..........well, let's not go there. 7.gif

2.gif

----------------

On 9/22/2003 12:39:16 PM sunnysal wrote:

maybe that was not jeff...SET amps suck? jeff made some of the best out there...though his DHT PP amps may be the way of the future...hmmmm...do we hackers hijacking our monikers? tony

----------------

That is definitively me... No Hijacker here...

I am a bit tired of the typical blanket statesment.

The signature will change later on don't worry. How about "Poor amps suck"

how about "what ever amp/speaker/room I don't have sucks" that would cover many of the opinions we see expressed here daily. LOL!

musical versus accurate semantics, I have more money invested or bought my stuff first...I love it here!

we are SOOOOO full of ourselves!

jeff rules and some day, when he finishes his doctorate and wants to sling solder again, I will buy a complete high-end system from him. by then he will be building tenor-clones that sound better than the originals. or maybe not.

regards, tony