Just sold my RF-7's...

Deang

Funny how no one took even the first two things on my short list seriously -- I guess you all just know me too well.

My RF-7's are in maple, and it is possible I will end up with another pair down the road in cherry, and move everything into the livingroom after we remodel. Over the next year, I'm going to be doing quite a bit to the house.

It took me a long time to find a push-pull amp I was actually willing to keep, and the more time I spend with the Moore, the more I like it. I think I'm locked into the preamps as well.

Austin will get the RF-7's in December, and about the same time I should be finished with my little pet "project". They will be driven by the Bruce Moore gear for about a year or so while I work on the house. At that time I will decide on a set of speakers for the push-pull set up.

With the money from the RF-7's I'm going to explore SET the way I should have done it to begin with. I'm going to build the DRDs and mate them to a pair of Adire HE10.1s.

If I begin pulling my hair out, I will fabricate a reason to ground Austin -- and take the RF-7's away from him.

Ummm.... Interesting.

I dont know if the little Adire HE10.1 is going to be ultimately up to the task of this mission. I have talked to A LOT of people about it and did some of the original webwork promoting this speaker. It's a great bang-for-buck speaker but I just dont know if it's the right call for partnering with the DRD amps. Not that it wont sound pretty decent, but these will not have quite the low end you are used to and I dont think will bloom with SET like even your Cornwalls (still dont know why you went ahead and sold these so fast - they would have been a great option with the DRD/Moondogs/etc.

Just dont want you to come away disappointed yet again. Both will be projects unless you can find the HE10.1 used. Kevin had a woodworker that used to do NICE cabinets. Still, the drivers, though good, might be ultimately passed by other options. Still, I have always liked the little Adire... but for more a bang for buck than ulitmate system.

kh

There is no where he can hear those speakers besides emailing others that have either built them or currently use them. They are a mail order product from DIYCable and Adire Audio. They have gotten favorable comments and are some damn fine speakers. Would they be my system 1 choice? I dont know about that. Regardless, they do some things well, have a benign impedance, and a simple design devoid of complexities. The Xover is simple as well and comes with some good parts that can be substituted. Still.... Most end up running some sort of sub which is a problem to me although the guys at DIYCable and Adire like their new offering coming into play (and their sealed Adire options). Dean might go for the sub approach as long as it's a fast as hell solution. Still.... Subs are not my cup of tea at all.

kh

I have no delusions here of what the setup will bring. I'm not attempting to reach the pinnacle of what SET can do. I have serious budget constraints, and so the real goal here is to get as much SET performance as possible with $2000.

Adire Audio has just released the Kosala, which is a somewhat tweaked, ready built version of the HE10.1. A pair of Kosalas can be brought to the doorstep for about $700. This saves me the trouble of building cabinets and slinging solder. I will undoubtedly upgrade the crossover components as funds permit.

I'm not concerned about low bass response. With the right placement, I can probably pull 45Hz out of them -- it will be enough. This system is primarily being put together for 11PM-1AM listening sessions, and all I'm looking for here is a sweet 70 to 80 DB. I'm even forcing myself to go 2A3 just to keep me mindful of the fact.

Now Kelly, 2A3 SET either "blooms" or it doesn't. Since this will be strictly for nearfield listening at about 6 feet or so -- those amps should be able to project an image through a pair of 901's with blankets hanging over them. No, it won't be a "lively" sound like the Cornwalls, but it should be very liquid and musical nonetheless.

Trust me on this, if I could only have one system it wouldn't be this one. I think this will be perfect for getting in touch with my feminine side, on those nights where I'm feeling kind of sensitive and feel like I need a good cry.9.gif

http://www.adireaudio.com/home_audio/loudspeakers/exact_series/kosala.htm

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/messages/109656.html

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_1/adire-audio-kosala-speakers-3-2003.html