Jazz Vocalists: Ella Fitzgerald - Billie Holiday - Sarah Vaughan - Merrill

mobile homeless

B00004STOI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is the FIRST installment of a JAZZ FEMALE VOCALISTS thread. Ok.... I actually have a good quality CD sonically that happens to have some nice work as well; it's sitting about two feet away, always a good thing; thus, it goes first in line.

Ella Fitzgerald/Joe Pass - Take Love Easy (Pablo - 1973)

This Pablo Records release is an excellent recording, even on digital. It was recorded in LA in 1973 and is the work of excellent and tastful guitarist, JOE PASS, alongside the even more legendary ELLA FITZGERALD. IT is the first of several sessions from them and probably the BEST. The intimacy here is really evident and comes across in this recording. This is so subtle and sublime, it's almost three-dimensional. It's the kind of performance, that if seen live, you would hear a pin drop, even in an NYC club filled to the brim, drinks on the tables.

The work of Jazz guitarist JOE PASS on something like YOU GO TO MY HEAD, heard below, is just spell binding, and every bit as engrossing as Ella. His first solo on this song is totally captivating.

This is also one of those recordings that is just magical via tubes and horns, no matter what the amp topology. Still, it seems to come alive via SET. I recommend it and it's easily available. Damn amazing for digital too. Please give ALL these numbers a listen. I did them at 256k in the highest quality dub from a WAV file taken directly off the CD. You Go to My Head and Lush Life are standouts.

MUSIC SAMPLES

Ella Fitzgerald / Joe Pass - You Go To My Head.mp3

Ella Fitzgerald / Joe Pass - Lush Life.mp3

Ella Fitzgerald / Joe Pass - Don't Be That Way.mp3

kh

Kelly,

OH MY GOD! A thousand thank you's! I swear these almost brought me to tears. Sometimes I think great singing is the most difficult musical accomplishment of all. More! More! Please?

After each song I could imagine her sprouting wings and floating away. Hey! Did I just make a Haiku?

Chris

Chris, I totally sympathize. That is exactly the affect those recordings have on me, even while listening through a mediocre DELL system via H/K plastic boxes. This recording stands high on the list as one of the best combinations of MUSIC and SOUND. The emotion survives intact right through the recording medium. But to listen to this on SET and horns is something else. In my view, this is where SET amplification just stands alone in its ability to capture the emotion and life of a performance.

The great thing is I just listened to these three on the EICO office system and felt almost the same way.

Just some GREAT stuff.

kh

ps- Chris R, just saw your post, too. Be sure to listen to these three when you get home. It will get you... This is such an intimate recording, it surpasses many, many greats.

I have a handful of ETTA JAMES but always associate her more with blues/jazz although she could do it all. I tended to like her best when she was belting out her version of blues at a club. Some of her live records where WILD with energy. I might throw a few up here but it's difficult since none are on CD.

Allan will surely chime in here as he as favorites. I will put up one of his favorites, Helen Merrill, later this eve if I can get it on here.

I have some great Billie Holiday and Sarah Vaughan, two of my favorites. Actually, to be honest, Billie is just in a complete class of her own, above Bessie Smith, Ella, Sarah et al. There is no one like her, even those that try hard to imitate.

kh

As a Jazz newbie, I find that my favorites are also Billie Holiday and Sarah Vaughan.

I have found I prefer vocalists, but I am now trying some of the Jazz instrumentals that Allan and Kelly have recommended. I think the Sonny Rollins is very good and will have to search out some of his work.

This forum is a great tool for discovering new music to experience, that is what it's all about isn't it, the music.

Regards,

Greg

Ps. DeanG I used to like Journey also, but it doesn't do much for me anymore. I guess 20 years changes your outlook on life. 9.gif

I had the pleasure to listen to Ella when I was in grade 13, yes we had grade 13 in Ontario in 1977. It was at the Ontario Place Forum on a stage that revolved around while the audience sat in one place. It was a cold June night with about 2000 in attendence. I was one of the young ones and I was overwhelmed by her voice. Ella performed with a three piece band, piano, bass and drums. It was a magical evening. My parents weren't really sure what I was doing down there when all they heard pumping from my stereo was loud r&b and disco. It was a chance to see a great lady perform and I'm glad I was there.

When I graduated from teacher's college our convocation was at the same time as the music department for the University of Toronto. They were awarding an honourary doctorate to this local musician who lived in Mississauga. They let him play for twenty minutes while he tickled the ivory. I just sat back closed my eyes while I listened to Oscar Peterson. An afternoon I still treasure and remember 18 years later.

Kelly, thanks for the uploads. I will have a listen tonight. Yesterdays was great, Gerry Mulligan and Ben Webster. Please keep them coming, they are incredible.

Don

It was nice that you took the time to do that Kelly, but man, I've heard some Ella that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. That particular work of hers is just too laid back for me. Same with the Rollins recordings -- it's nice sounding, but doesn't really get me tapping or moving, and that's what music is all about for me.

It's nice you can be so tolerant of other's thoughts Allan. It's a shame, but your records are probably as close to "class" as you'll ever get.

In a rather more modern vein Kelly - have you listened to Jacintha? Hell of a voice and presence. Rather better imho than the more typical Diana Krall. Actually Lush life is the title of one of her albums but I think Here's to Ben is probably her best.

Again available on XRCD, vinyl and surprisingly on SACD too.

(As an aside I got that Ella XRCD too - seriously good!!)

Dean, you are an *** because all you could chrip into this thread was that stupid-*** snoring yellow dot. If you don't like this music, stay out of the thread. Or better yet, if you have something reasoned and constructive to add, be it positive, negative or even inquisitive, then do so! But the use of a sole, snoring yellow dot just shows that your are an ignorant, boorish oaf. I am sorry that you find my stating these feelings I have to be classless and offensive, but I feel EXACTLY the same way about your post!

Sorry about that Stan, but inane comments like Dean's really get to me. We all come here for a nice, positive healthy exchange and the sight of that snoring dot REALLY offended me. If you'll notice I very rarely make negative comments about other peoples choices and preferences and when I do I generally try to EXPLAIN my comments! But to write off the Ella/Pass cuts as BORING without ANY other comment is TOTALLY USELESS and BOORISH.

Take Love Easy is one of the few JVC XRCDs that really shine, for a brief second thought I had left my copy at Kelly's.. also throw in

Ella Sings the Cole Porter Song Book

Ella and Louis Again

but this will always be quintessential IMO

(click below to visit Verve site and play audio samples)

C515A5EB648F40A9BC4F63A7EF1D42AF.jpg

Oscar Peterson piano, Herb Ellis guitar, Ray Brown on bass, Buddy Rich on drums, it doesn't get BETTER!

Kelly,

Just had a listen on my PC system. Very nice indeed. I feed my sound card into a 100 watt per side Alesis amp and their Monitor One speakers. A bit different than the H/K pc speakers that come with the Dell, but this music played on a cardboard box would sound great. Thanks!

Marvel