Flames

dodger

Jeff's list was funny as hell....and to make it even more apropos and spot on, it was TRUE. Just look at what the words and connotations riding along with "wooden boat" did to normally mild mannered Tony!

Fini's line held more truth than fiction as does much good humor. If only I had kids I could use that one as well..

kh

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this forum has done a pretty good job of self-regulation. It is calmer than in the past, believe it or not, as Colin points out. Heated disagreement can be educational, too. Ive learned a lesson or three about life, people in general, and even an audio-related nugget here or there.

Win, you make some good points, some of which I agree with. I agree with Kelly on many of his points. I think most of the arguing here has been relatively mature in choice of words. Name-calling and threats are more than rare enough for me to accept. I for one appreciate both the dead serious and flippant side to this board. If someone wants to relate personal issues, I appreciate their sharing. It enriches our other interactions, and gives a more complete picture of the posters personality. I love how someone can usually jump into a flaming thread and crack jokes. It has made me step back for a second more than a couple times recently (just for a second). Comic relief in a Shakespearean vein.

I believe that reaction to specific instances of contention may be tiresome, but preferable to, and certainly more practical than an overhaul of forum protocol. If someone gets under someone elses skin, they are going to have at it. If all one can come up with are personal insults, threats, and profanity, then we have no choice but let that speak the volumes that it inevitably will. If insults are made with a personal style and in the context of a past relationship, that is a bit more fun to read.

There is a wealth of knowledge contained in this forum. If we can maintain a dynamic balance of self-entertainment and education/debate, we will remain a vital and vibrant forum.

It happened quickly. After gathering my thoughts for a few seconds, I grabbed some equipment and hit the ground and hurried back to the site of the accident that I had just been involved in. As I neared the area I saw a body lying on the ground about 30 feet ahead of me. I picked up the pace with the thought that I would attempt to render help to the injured man laying there. His dead crumpled body lay there on the ground with his brains in the dirt. I stood there for a few minutes with the thought in my mind that this person had been alive and well only a minute or two ago. After 41 years, his life on this earth was over.

Later, as people that I have known for many years gathered and discussed what had happened, the tension was broken by a little humor. It felt good. The body was removed, the site cleaned up, and life goes on.

Life is short. Enjoy it while you can. A good laugh never hurts.

Keith

----------------

On 10/2/2003 10:00:02 AM mobile homeless wrote:

Dodger, I sure would have NEVER brought up this tread.... Indeed, I have not seen this subject brought up so much in the years I have been here.

Stop the grudge match and post your ideas, without apologies. Why all these comments? Why not concentrate your energy on posting some thoughts on GEAR, music, and other points that can be used besides these Moral Imperative posts discussing foul language, mean jokes, flames, and the right way to run a forum etc etc? Then again, it's your place to post this if you feel the need. And I responded with MY take on it, just like the others above. Acually, this place has done quite fine with VERY little input from moderators. For some odd reason, you seem to think it's in dire need of point by point help. I know you mean well... but... man. This a only a lowly AUDIO FORUM filled with freaks, myself included. Get a grip, man!

kh

----------------

Kelly:

1. Trey had to come on and give a little chat about language. The moderators admit that they can spend little time.

2. Even a lowly Audio Forum can have class.

3. I made no comment in this "tread" - thread about language. I noted a question form a newer person and the discourse of three (3) pages.

4. Quite a number of your posts do not contend with gear.

5. If we bring up past, no-one complained to me about my signature, prior to yours. In the Apologies thread, you were the one to state "Lordy."

6. I have thick skin, recently I have only been answering questions.

7. There is no "dire" need to police this but three (3) pages to answer which amplifier to use for Belles.....

8. As was called to me regarding personal comments, I saw no response.

9. No matter what Forum, there is Pride in what you write or state. Allan Songer showed this

10. I never stated or attempted to state what the right way to run this Forum is. Yes, I have commented about language. My neighbor's son cannot buy Klipsch speakers because of Forum content at that time. As I said over-reaction by the Parents, yes. But, I try to give some thought to alternatives to language. That is common courtesy and the implied statement of use of this Forum - I did not set that forth. I believe in a world where young and old can post without offensive language. So I'm looking at the world with rose colored glasses. I have a grip it's called courtesy.

You were the one with the smart remarks in Apologies because that's what YOU believe. Greg obviously felt different, Dean with his offer to pray felt different, I felt different.

But in keeping with the majority that have posted, and you, the Forum shall:

Have short, no, or directed to another site signatures, we will all use the template and have others directed to another site for equipment listing,

There will be no personal or maudlin posts, We will all take no pride in our answer, language or thought, we are all freaks,

No-one can question the statements made or post the fact that no matter what anybody says, young people lurk and Parents may object to content, they are wrong,

Three pages to answer a person's question will be the usual

Never have a Moderator give a warning - Trey's job will be quite easy

Once someone posts something and it is not liked the norm will be to point that out and criticize, or point out that another's way is the only way.

We will never question anything said by one member, without the wrath of the Forum,

We will never have General Questions removed or any portion of this Forum and we never have Nor any thread pulled by the Moderator due to language,

These will be the rules without question, having full grip, correct?

No-one has been lurking and seen the early infighting and the Moderation that had to be done.

I would also like to hear from a Moderator, as they are here 24/7.

And I and any member of the Forum that understand the Posting rules will just have to get a grip.

Okay, I understand.

Win dodger

----------------

On 10/2/2003 10:15:34 AM Colin wrote:

Flames? Man, these are but matchsticks burning compared to the bonfires we have had here in the past! Right after 9/11, this board and the few other ones I frequent, erupted like Mt. Olympus. Then you saw flames. Back then, there were so many insults flying it was like being back in the first grade. I, for one, put out a call to quench the insults as provocative behavior that results in no good.

Kelly is NOT wrong about what he says, though it is good to remember that most stereo-heads do NOT want the same things from their home movie and music reproduction systems as tweaking audiophiles do. Most just want the big blast of sound, NOT the audio nirvana of a 3D sonic holograph. I enjoy his thoughtful and well-written comments – and look forward to what he has to say, same with NOSvalves, Ray Garrison, Deang, Q-man, Edster and many others (a lot of whom are dropping by the wayside).

Flames? NOT hardly. Just a few candles burning. I think Kelly can take care of himself. He loves the controversy. (I can just hear him muttering to himself as he pens another blast at some poor yokel!) Remember, there is no democracy without dissent. And I, for one, love it.

4.gif

----------------

And Colin to what do you attribute to those dropping by the wayside.

I stated inappropriate, if Kelly's comments were appropriate to the Apologies thread. I will admit to being wrong.

If Dean does not pray, I admit to being wrong.

As this thread goes on, I want more and more, like the secret that starts at one end of the room and is changed by the other end.

I guess Paul Parrot was right.

I will never put forth a personal comment, and am entirely wrong.

I misread any comment regarding Forum behavior and I have nothing to contribute to the Forum.

I thank you all.

Dodger,

I had mixed feeling about responding to another one of these threads you've started, but I will speak my peace just to get it of my chest, I've been told thats a healthy way to live your life.

Mind you, I would not be responding in this fashion if it wasn't for you opening up this dialogue on this thread.

You have no right to come in here and decifer what is proper or improper behavior for the forum or its forum memebers. until you receive the job of Moderator, keep your personal views of how this forum should be conducted to yourself.

This place is for what it is, a PUBLIC forum for all to freely express themselves, civily of course, with self disipline. If that doesn't happen at times its surely not your place to say so.

I am not saying this to you in a unrespectful tone as it may read, but as fact as it is.

With all due respect,

Tom

----------------

On 10/2/2003 9:40:11 AM dodger wrote:

Kelly:

Along with your photos of your vacation to Italy (personal), sitting with a glass of wine, text included, Standing in Canada, which took much longer to bring up that a text, you requested Dean pray for you to get your boat in the water.

dodger

----------------

Er... Win,

A little correction is in order here...

The sitting (and standing) wino is me. Kelly is much uglier.

----------------

On 10/2/2003 11:52:14 AM rf3iicrazy wrote:

Dodger,

I had mixed feeling about responding to another one of these threads you've started, but I will speak my peace just to get it of my chest, I've been told thats a healthy way to live your life.

Mind you, I would not be responding in this fashion if it wasn't for you opening up this dialogue on this thread.

You have no right to come in here and decifer what is proper or improper behavior for the forum or its forum memebers. until you receive the job of Moderator, keep your personal views of how this forum should be conducted to yourself.

This place is for what it is, a PUBLIC forum for all to freely express themselves, civily of course, with self disipline. If that doesn't happen at times its surely not your place to say so.

I am not saying this to you in a unrespectful tone as it may read, but as fact as it is.

With all due respect,

Tom

----------------

I find this quite refreshing. One espousing his personal views regarding my right to do so.

I do not take it with direspect, I know it is fact. Re-read my original Post.

I was not telling anyone what to do. I made comments from my point of view.

It appears that I am a minority of 1, I will not post a feeling, if I post at all.

You have all made your points, they are taken, however please do not email me with comments or feelings regarding the Forum or anyone specifically. I posted what I thought and I was shown that it was wrong to think that.

Thus no problem.

----------------

On 10/2/2003 12:09:43 PM painful reality wrote:

----------------

On 10/2/2003 9:40:11 AM dodger wrote:

Kelly:

Along with your photos of your vacation to Italy (personal), sitting with a glass of wine, text included, Standing in Canada, which took much longer to bring up that a text, you requested Dean pray for you to get your boat in the water.

dodger

----------------

Er... Win,

A little correction is in order here...

The sitting (and standing) wino is me. Kelly is much uglier.

----------------

Thank you for that humurous clarification.