The Power and Glory of Stereo-40...my Cornwalls will have to embrace it and my McIntosh will despise it!

jt1stcav

I dont know, Mark. I guess an amp is an amp is an amp. Transformers as well. I do think they appear to be a GREAT deal; on that we agree. On the other hand, having a handful of modern low cost amps pass through here, I say most of them lack the sonic refinement of some of the more basic vintage amps. Whether it's the cheap SS rectifier diodes (vs HEXFREDS with Snubber), mediocre iron, or other problems, the difference is there.

I am getting ready to do some upgrades to my ASUSA A-4 to see what is wrought from the changes. But on the modern low cost amp front, I have been more impressed with vintage offerings, even when the vintage has mediocre parts ie disc caps - oh horror.... etc.

But ultimately, I think you are right in that for this amount of money, and even with an extra set up tubes, this is a GREAT little buy. I was just a bit surprised at first. There really isnt much you can find NEW that is under $300 in the tube world. much less $500 including tubes.

At the least, I am interested to see what ole Jim says about this beast. Should be fun.

kh

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 10/6/2003 11:13:28 AM mobile homeless wrote:

But ultimately, I think you are right in that for this amount of money, and even with an extra set up tubes, this is a GREAT little buy. I was just a bit surprised at first. There really isnt much you can find NEW that is under $300 in the tube world. much less $500 including tubes.

kh

----------------

For sure, judging on the inside pictures on the maker's website, the build quality seems to be there. I think the guys who put these together care about what they do.

Kelly,

What was the music you were comparing the two channels with? Also, I would hold out till you get the other channel completed and listen as a stereo pair. Will be interesting to see the measurements but I still think our testing is behind on relating to what the gear sounds like and how it will perform.

I think if you listened to a pair with MQ iron against the HandWound iron, you would tell a difference given the proper testing, conditions, and variety of music to bring out diff aspects of playback. Then again, it may be showing that the HandWound iron is a good deal!

Rest assured that I have made no final assessment yet !! Hence the beginning of my post "I'm beginning to wonder" . I am very seriuos about finding out where this so called magic Iron is. The current setup is comparing the Original Dynaco Cloth lead Mark III Iron I hardly think MQ is any better than that ! Although just to show you how serious I am about this I called Mike myself and setup a deal and shipped him off a money order so MQ's are on there way here ! On a side note it was interesting that he said he hadn't talked to you in months and months thanks ! He was easy as heck to order from and gave me the dealer pricing instantly ! But from what he told me and Ned confirmed if it isn't SET his delivery is just as bad as handwound. I also have another supplier here in Michigan working on Iron and they will wind whatever I want and deliver in 2 weeks (so they say). I'm not playing here if it leaves my shop it will be all I'm capable of delivering with Marks help I hope.

Craig

----------------

On 10/6/2003 7:05:54 PM NOSValves wrote:

Your going to vote for Arnold aren't you ??

----------------

Craig,

Don't know if you've heard this one, but I thought you might get a kick out of it..

"I'd rather be groped by Arnold, than screwed by Davis."

Chris (undecided as of today)

Why not vote NO RECALL and attempt to do the first right that should be done... MAn, I didnt think California could get any worse until I watched that debate. PAinful. The moderator should have been shipped out with the outgoing tide. IT was a farce. I really feel for you guys but hell, you seem to be diving into it like the rest of the country. Amazing.

kh

Not to change the subject...3.gif

Kelly and Dean and the rest of you were right on the money...it is a 10 watt per channel amplifier, the model Stereo-20. The owner e-mailed me and appologized for his error, and (to make a long story short) offered a full refund of my payment back to my PayPal account...which I accepted!

He didn't know much about his amp other than the bias doesn't need adjusting, and that the output tubes say 6U5GT on them. He doesn't have the owners manual or the carton for it either. He seems to be a nice, honest guy though, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt and wait for him to repay me. Guess this is what I deserve for being too impulsive.

The amp does seem to be well built, and their other offerings seem to be quite interesting, so maybe later on down the road when finances permit, I'll purchase a model of my choosing direct from the manufacturer. It was a great price though...maybe too good to be true!

Tell me I did the right thing, or should I have kept it and tried it out. I honestly don't feel comfortable with only 10 watts per side with my listening habits.

Uh, actually if Governor Davis is recalled today the new Governor will not take his place until ALL of the counties certify the results and send them along to the Secretary of State who will then place his stamp of approval on them. Only THEN will the new governor take office. This process should take somewhere between 5 and 8 weeks. That means Davis and the California legislature have PLENTY of time to move through an INCREDIBLE amount of legislation before Arnold takes over. I'll bet there is a flurry of productivity in Sacramento the likes of which we have NEVER seen and might well never see again.

Although I am against the recall and am embarassed about the prospect of my fellow Californians electing Arnold, it will be VERY interesting to see him try to govern with ZERO cooperation from the legislature. Will he quit in a huff and go home? Arnold is very much used to getting (or taking?) everything he wants and needs, so I'm curious to see how he'll respond to being stonewalled.

Davis is a money-grubbing political hack and I will shed no tears for him--all my crying will be for California.

First of all, I am actually now sorry ole Jim-loon didnt go for that cheap little amp. The more I thought about it, the more I kept thinking it was a neat option to try out as his first tube amp, with VERY little loss of funds. He could have sold it on ebay for about the same thing if inclined and it would have given him a sample of what might work in his system. Hell, you cant even buy quality tubes for $200! I really was disappointed he backed out. Jeez, I dont know that many $280 options that dont require a more leap of faith. Oh well... Here one minute, gone the next.

As for the California discussion, I STILL cannot understand how California is using this recall, something that is meant to be used as a last ditch effort to remove a totally corrupt official, or someone that has broken laws etc, as a answer to the state problems. The very fact that a recall is being considered is troubling to me. Yeah, Davis is a hack and not my favorite, but a RECALL? I know you guys are having some serious budget problems etc... but still wondering WHO worked in this recall. I am on the opposite side of country and pondering.

As for Arnold... well. What can you say? HE participates in ONE debate, and it happens to be the ONLY ONE where they are GIVEN THE QUESTIONS a week in advance. Does this say something to ANYONE in that state????

kh

Don't worry, kh, there are still plenty of progressives here in CA, especially here up north. The challenge is for the left to come together (inherently requiring copromise) and present an acceptable candidate. Same issues for the Presidential race.

fini

----------------

On 10/7/2003 10:13:26 AM mobile homeless wrote:

As for Arnold... well. What can you say? HE participates in ONE debate, and it happens to be the ONLY ONE where they are GIVEN THE QUESTIONS a week in advance. Does this say something to ANYONE in that state????

kh

----------------

Well, it proves he is a serious actor who learns his text...