What are you listening to?

joshnich

Bryan, I have been supporting my local chain of music stores by

purchasing my CDs there. Their computer never heard of some of my off the wall artists. I recently (friday) started buying music online, I just to tower records site and they have 6! CDs by David Torn! The only one I have is "cloud about mercury", that is about to change! I have heard some of his stuff on NPR's music from the heart of space but couldn't get it through my local chain.

----------------

joshnich on 10-18-2003 posted...

Actually that is why I started the thread ...to find some new music. I dont listen to the radio much but I read a fair bit but still, finding something new is hard. all to often I fall back into listening to old favs...not that there is any thing wrong with that. But for me there is a great joy in finding something new - that I actually like!

josh

----------------

Have you ever heard of "Jeff Golub" or "Mark Antoine"?? they're a couple of Contemporary jazz guitarists... I don't know what kind of music you normally listen to...but ...give them a try!

Not all in the last 5 years, but:

Cassandra Wilson: Glamoured (CD)

Krystian Zimerman: Chopin, 4 Balladen (possibly the finest ever Barcarolle) (CD)

The Locke Consort: John Jenkins, Fantasias & Airs (17th century)(MCH SACD)

Skrowaczewski/Minnesota Orch: Ravel, Bolero (MCH SACD)

Rachel Podger: Vivaldi: La Stravaganza (MCH SACD)

Joan Armatrading: Lovers Speak (CD)

Sam Cooke at the Copa (MCH SACD)

Bob Dylan: "Love And Theft" (MCH SACD)

Donovan: Barabajagal (LP)

Mahavishnu: John McLaughlin (LP)

Reissues and new releases w/in the last 5 years:

llinois Jacquet - Birthday Party, Groove Note LP 180g Reissue

Hank Mobley - Hank Mobley, Classic Records 12" LP 200g Mono Reissue

Lee Morgan - Candy, Classic Records 12" LP 200g Mono Reissue

FourPlay - Heartfelt, 2002 CD; Yes, Please, 2000 CD

Robert Tye - Living, 2003 CD

Daryl Hall, Can't Stop Dreaming, 2003 CD

Most of my purchases in the last 1-2 years have been for older Jazz or Blues LP's. Like many today, I was previously inspired and educated by posts from members in this forum. Most notable were from Allan, Jazman, C & S and Mobile.

Nothing like the reward of a great listening session after finding and spinning back to life, a wonderful old LP!

Bryan, you are correct in that there is no new Gentle Giant material, save for maybe a lifted tune that Kerry Minear did for a computer game (even that piece is wonderful) called Asreal's Tear. I'm glad to see there are a few more GG fans here as they are one of my all time favorites...no one writes music like they did. I will actually be meeting several of the former members at a fan get together, you can find details here if interested.

David Torn is one strange guitarist and I thought he and Tony Levin balanced the jazz influence of Bruford and Botti in B.L.U.E. Unfortunately they got together only briefly and put out one studio and one live album ("Blue Nights"). They played at Orion Studios here in Baltimore and really blew everyone away since no one had heard their stuff. Interestingly, neither Tony Levin nor Bill Bruford has played with King Crimson since they released this album. Maybe Fripp got jealous!

King Crimson has been funny as to ever changing members. There were over 20 musicians in almost 30 years! When I saw Tony Levin in concert he mentioned something to the effect that when he heard the call of the Crimson, he was summoned back. That was in referrence to the last time they toured and it left me with the impression that Fripp is a bit moody about who he plays with. Their DeJaVroom DVD is fantastic, not only the music, but the extras. You can put together a version of 21st Century Schizoid Man with a different rhythm section, diferent vocalist, or different soloist using versions recorded in 1969, 1971, 1974 and 1996. This is really cool technology! Of course, Mr. Bruford is outstanding and complements Pat Mostoletto quite nicely here with very interesting solos.

Paul, you have in your list someone whos music I love, but frequently forget about, that is Chopin. His music has a magic that few composers have.

BTW, which Mahavishnu: John McLaughlin (LP) is this?

I love Gentle Giant, and for the longest time could have survived on them and 10cc alone.

Dean! I would not have suspected that! And it's an interesting way you phrased this. I think that it's very true because you can listen to GG and even after 20 some years of listening, you can hear a glittering jewel of detailed compositional excellence that you may have missed before inducing one of those "Ah ha!" experiences...

Burt Bacharach And The Houston Symphony-"Woman"

Heart-"Dreamboat Annie"

I just "discovered" the Bacharach album. Noticing on the back that Carly Simon is a vocalist on it, I finally put it on the platter, and WOW! This album plays with such dynamic range, orchestra placement and clarity, it rivals DBX recordings. Similar to the dynamics experienced with Umbrella d2d pressings. No expander needed! Will knock you out of your seat with the attacks!

Dreamboat Annie is a favorite of mine, again, imaging and vocals are tremendous. I have this on regular and DBX pressings, either one you could get is fantastic.

2/4-Channel System (1 of 3!!):

Marantz 4270 Receiver

Technics SL-150 MkII with SME III/Shure V15IV

Marantz CD-400 Demodulator

Denon DCM-320 20 bit CD

Pioneer EX-9000 expander

DBX 3BX + 3BX-R

Phase Linear 1000 Autocorrelator

Sony MDS-JE510 Minidisc Recorder

(4) Acoustic Research 318 Classic

(2) Wharfedale W-70D (front)

(2) Acoustic Research 2ax (rear)

I'm a Dreamboat Annie fan from way back. I'm going to VPI that lp pretty soon and give it a spin. It has 20+ years of built-up dust although the lp is in perfect condition.

Today I went into another of my old Dead Tape phases on the way to work.

1980 Jerry Garcia Band at Caledone(sp?) Theater. Great tunes with Robert Hunter on stage. Particularly "Promatory Rider"

1973 Palo Alto

1977 Cornell University - Great "Sacrlet Begonias" into "Fire on the Mountain."

Original mixes of "Aoxomoaxoa" and "Anthem of the Sun" - hard to find but I have them on tape.

----------------

Have you ever heard of "Jeff Golub" or "Mark Antoine"?? they're a couple of Contemporary jazz guitarists... I don't know what kind of music you normally listen to...but ...give them a try!

----------------

Thanks for the suggestion. Ill give em a listen!

josh

----------------

On 10/21/2003 9:00:11 PM garymd wrote:

I'm a Dreamboat Annie fan from way back. I'm going to VPI that lp pretty soon and give it a spin. It has 20+ years of built-up dust although the lp is in perfect condition.

Today I went into another of my old Dead Tape phases on the way to work.

1980 Jerry Garcia Band at Caledone(sp?) Theater. Great tunes with Robert Hunter on stage. Particularly "Promatory Rider"

1973 Palo Alto

1977 Cornell University - Great "Sacrlet Begonias" into "Fire on the Mountain."

Original mixes of "Aoxomoaxoa" and "Anthem of the Sun" - hard to find but I have them on tape.
----------------

Gary,

I'd give anything to get a copy of the 1973 Dead concert. If it was at Maples Pavilion (Stanford), it was my first live concert. I'll never forget it. The blazing red stage lights, the gently rocking stacks of speakers, the crystal clear sound....Some folks trust to reason, others trust to might.....

Chris

Chris,

That's the one! Jerry does a version of US Blues but it's not. It's called Wave That Flag and has entirely different lyrics. Also, Phil does a Box of Rain with all the harmonies from Jerry & Bobby. Wavy Gravy does the intro. If you want a copy I'd be glad to make one for you. It's certainly not cd quality but sounds ok in the car.

Send me a pm or email.

Let's see... last 5 years. That'd be since 1998, right?

Well, I've become a big fan of Patty Larkin in the last 5 years. her best album all-round (IMO) is her live solo effort, "a gogo", which was probably recorded in the last 5 years.

Bruce Cockburn Breakfast in New Orleans, Dinner in Timbuktu I really like this guy!

Live From the River Music Hall, v. 1 and v. 2. Great samplers of live acoustic music recorded in a small venue before small audiences at WXRV-FM in Haverhill, MA. Generally good to excellent recordings too.

Sarah Maclachlan Surfacing a half-great album (great sounding, though)

Allison Krauss & Union Station Live

The Story (Jonatha Brooke and Jennifer Kimball) Grace in Gravity oops, 1991, says Allmusic.com. Disqualified.

Cowboy Junkies Lay it Down 1996... closer...

Patty Griffin Flaming Red 1998 (whew!) listen to "One Big Love" from this album (or Emmylou Harris' version on Red Dirt Girl)... one big groove

Emmylou Harris Red Dirt Girl just amazing...

In light of comments above about the Dead... I've always been sort of a meta-fan of the Dead, especially their earlier stuff, saw them several times, but never got into the whole Deadhead/taping/swapping scene. I did recently snag a copy of the original mix of aoxomoxoa from eBAY in very good condition for a very reasonable price, and I was delighted with the sound of this old pressing (some real bass, compared to my late-1970's pressing of the remix, and two different CD versions including the most recent Rhino CD). It's also fascinating to hear even weirder mixes of some of these songs, with almost arbitrarily-placed percussion and other little touches... it's a fresh windo(pane) into these great songs. Paradoxically, the original "What's Become of the Baby" is far less incoherent and outta-control than the remix... it's virtually accessible!

• 3 weeks later...

A good music day... started with some of the best blues... then some Bach... violins... jazzy-funk... classic rock. LaScalas and tubes.

-Mississippi John Hurt, Avalon Blues 1963 (Richland Woman Blues)

-Yo-Yo Ma, Inspired by Bach (The Bach Cello Suites) 1997

-Itzhak Perlman & Isasc Stern, Bach Double Concerto for Two Violins in D Minor (Nos. 1, 2)

-Itzhak Perlman/ John Williams, Schindler's List, 1993

-Anne Sophie Mutter, Beehtoven, The Violin Sonatas

-Anne-Sophie Mutter/Karajan, Mendelssohn, Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in E minor, op. 64, 1981

-Hillary Hahn, Brahms, Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D major, op. 77/Stravinsky, Concerto for Violin & Orchestra in D w/ Marriner & ASMF 2001

-Steely Dan, Everything Must Go 2003

-Jerry Garcia, Garcia 1972

-The Band, Across the Great Divide, Disc 1, 1970's

John

I'm on an all-vinyl kick lately (breaking in a cart). Tonight (so far):

Steely Dan, Greatest Hits (double lp)

Henry Mancini/James Gallway, In the Pink

Lowell George, Thanks I'll Eat It Here

Jethro Tull, Thick as a Brick

Ringo Starr, Ringo

The Guess Who, American Woman

The Grass Roots, Best Of

Yes, there's still time for some Dead.

10.gif

After raid of my old radio station vinyl firesale, wife off in moutains with Outward Bound, and my Moondogs and Progressive Engineering table working better than ever, it's been non-stop with the likes of:

The Lyres - Live 1983 - Let's have a Party

Feederz - Teachers in Space

Tilt-a-Whirl - This is Tilt-a-Whirl

Celibate Rifles - Roman Beach Party

The Magnolias - For Rent

Fetchin Bones - Cabin Flounder

The Dils

Black Randy and the Metro squad

X

The Weirdos

***** Magnet

Hog Butcher for the World Compilation