good or bad decision?

marksdad

ok guys, i am trying to pepare for the arrival of my thorens tt, and my musical fidelity phono amp, and bluepoint cartridge, after weeks of thought and research i see that until i move the only really good place to rest my tt is high atop my lascalla. i dont want to wall mount, because i am renting, and i already have holes that have been plugged where i used to hang my polk speaks, so i dont want any more holes, and my audio rack is just too springy. i placed a fine wine goblet on my rack, it was filled with hawaiin punch (bright red, easy to see), as i walked, i could see movement, and when i stomped i saw large ripples, i repeated this process on my only other flat surface, the lascalla, and it was completly sound, no ripples even when stomping. what am i letting myself in for if i use the speak for a temporary stand? i plan on anti vibe precautions, as well as some type of platform, what can all of you suggest, plus i will get some noise from my cornerhorn, but i am down to either i suffer some loss of perfection, or i dont do tt at all, i would rather (for now) suffer a little, even with the little memorex pre i used a few weeks ago, the analog sound was so inviting, so warm, very different than cd, help!!!12.gif

Well I would try the thorens on the lascala and see if the thorens can take the vibrations from the speaker, it might work with some of those sound absorbing feet underneith it.Feedback could also become a problem being so close to the speaker. The rack could make a home for the thorens to with the absobane feet underneith the turntable.Some turntables are very sensitive to vibration and feedback, all you can do is try it.I think there is some kind of DIY box that you can build that you sit your turntable on that will help too, but I dont have the website handy to give to you, I think there was a thread on this DIY box thow somwhile back, IT seemed easy to build.

I am using 3 foot cone points, since I have a stable stand.

A "sand box"

16 inch square or 18 inch square box 3-4 inches deep; whatever wood you have.

fill to .5 inch of top.

get thick Plexiglass or equiviliant .5 min per side smaller than the box.

just drop it in

lay a small level on the Plexiglass to make sure it is square to the world.

----------------------

Do not put it on the speaker if at all possible.

I'm in the same boat right now, have a 222C and a Rega Planet sitting on a LaScala. At about 1:00 on the volume knob the vibration of the speaker box causes the Planet to start shipping. If I put my hand on the speaker it's eay to see why, it's vibrating like crazy. I think most turntables will be worse. Of course, being an LS, it's very loud at the knob setting, I don't normally turn it up that far.

Tom

----------------

On 10/19/2003 11:22:43 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

I'm in the same boat right now, have a 222C and a Rega Planet sitting on a LaScala. At about 1:00 on the volume knob the vibration of the speaker box causes the Planet to start shipping. If I put my hand on the speaker it's eay to see why, it's vibrating like crazy. I think most turntables will be worse. Of course, being an LS, it's very loud at the knob setting, I don't normally turn it up that far.

Tom

----------------

You arehindering the sound quality available to you by haveing those components atop the Scala's. How about the option of getting a few slabs of granite from Home DePot and putting them directly on the floor or even without the granite may be better than your current configuration. Of course only if aestetics or room permits.

Tom

Can your decor stand a wall-mount stand, such as a Target? Someone in the "Feedback" thread under Technical Questions successfully used such a stand to solve his problem, and it certainly worked for me as well. Another thread dealing with the same subject had a pic of the Target, but I cannot find it at the moment.

You might think of hanging it from the ceiling. Most landlords dont look up. Back when I was on the road renting, I would put in screws at the wall ceiling intersection to hang stuff from. Disappeared from view when the screw is pulled. I would think that you could engineer a cable support system that would be supported from the top corner and be cantilevered out from the wall.

Jim N

Heck yes, thats what I would do since you aint going to use that speaker when you are using your turntable, why go through all that other trouble if this works for you, just try it if it doesnt work out go to blan B.I dont know what efect the magnets on the lascala horns will have on the turntable could induce hum like Craig said, might not either. It still might not hurt to put some of those sorbothane feet under the turntable, also something to think about even when not listening to the turntable but when you have the lascala on for your home theater could the vibrations hurt the turntable mabe hurting it down the line, that I dont know.

On 10/22/2003 5:06:46 PM marksdad wrote:

ok, i have heard of the sorbathane material, or feet, wnere can it be bought?-----

I didn't see sorbothane mentioned here specifically, but www.needledoctor.com sells several kinds of isolation feet (click on "accessories," then "isolation feet") AND a wall-mount turntable rack for $125 (go to catalog, click on "racks and stands," then "wall brackets").

Try the turntable first before buying the isolation feet or building a platform or isolation box for the turntable. The turntable might hum or get noise right away from the lascala making buying anything a waste of money.Souldnt take but 10 minutes to see if it will work without interference from the lascala.I still bet the turntable will skip bad if the lascala was turned up loud.But since it wont be on since it is a center channel all may be well.Try it, Im dying to see how much hum those lascalas will make if any at all through that turntable, keep the volume low on your amp thow at first and slowly turn it up.