Found La Sacala�s at a garage sale

dave47

I was at a neighborhood garage sale and these were setting in the back of the garage stacked on top of each other. I asked the lady about the speakers and if they were for sale. She told me that they were her sons that he died in the military and they have had them since the late 70s and she would have to ask her husband. Left my phone number told her to call if they wanted to sell, next day she calls and told me I could have them for $300.00 I said I will be right over with the cash. I cranked them up and they sound fantastic as you can see the cabinets need some work here are a few questions for anyone.

1 I want to replace the veneer can the old veneer be taken off?

2 If I were to stain them would that effect the value?

3 There are stains on the cabinets will anything take them out?

Any comments or suggestions would be a great help, thanks in advance.

9.gif

post-13712-13819250044746_thumb.jpg

Dave47:

Extremely nice deal!!! I thought I got a good deal on mine at $911.00. I am no expert on refinishing them, but there are many threads around here to help you. You won't be short of help here. What are the serial numbers on those? Run a search on the site for veneer and you will find lots of ideas.

Enjoy them.

I'm no expert, but the handles and front mounted drivers make this look like an Industrial LaScala. I refinished a pair of LaScalas last year and had good success with an orbital sander. It took the top layer of crap off, and mine looked a lot worse than yours due to flower pots, and left a smooth finish. It was easy until you start with the inside of the bass bin. Lots of good stuff on the site about refinishing.

Yep - the Veneer is thin, but caution should work wonders with the sander. As to veneer chips - if not bad i generally thin a wood filler with water/mineral spirits (based on the filler) and smooth it in. When stained it looks like an attractive flaw in the wood.

Veneer repair on front - I suggest wood filler in the plywood section and use a thin blade to insert glue (I have used a large needle hypo before)between ply and veneer then clamp. I doesn't matter much if the wood filler squeezes out - it will sand just fine.

Good find - I would consider a darker stain to help cover flaws (or even better - make them seem a part of the natural look of cabinet)

Those look like raw birch of fir. If the labels are on the back do they say something like KBR or KFR?(Klipchorn Birch/Fir Raw). If so they are not veneered what you see is the good side of the plywood. To veneer them fill in the scrapes and gouges with good wood filler and apply the veneer of your choice or have it professionally done.

You stole those from a little old lady? Shame on me for not finding them first.2.gif

Rick

Dave,

Outstanding Find!

As far as that nasty ding on that right panel it can be fixed pretty easy. First, for the larger splinter on each side of the wood use a small amount of good wood filler. Let it dry for about a 1/2 hour. You don't want it completely dried yet. Now I agree with Henry on working the glue in. After you inject the glue in from the front make sure you use a clamp with 2-4" square wood blocks for bracing. Tighten down but don't over tighten. This will make sure the glue gets even distribution through out and should provide you a strong repair. After that just take your time sanding off the residual wood filler and glue that has dried. Follow that up with your finish.

Anyway, that is the way I would approach the repair short of replacing that whole side. Besides I think it should come out fine. I have done my fair share of woodworking and repair over the years.

Good luck and keep us posted

Scooterdog

No he bought a soldiers speakers, im sure he loved them and wanted them listend to and taken care of...like im sure we would if we were gone...fix them up nice and enjoy them...since you got such a good buy why not look into getting them re-veneered with oak,walnut,,,make them one of a kind...rick

Dave,

Yes they are raw birch. My Khorns were raw birch when I bought them in '78. Just this year I veneered them with some nice figured black walnut. The Khorns were easier to do than La Scalas though. Just large flat surfaces. If I were to do La Scalas I would use veneer sheets cut to proper size and good quality contact cement and or have a cabinet maker do them for me.

You will not hurt the value of your Scalas if you repair those dings and gouges, rather enhance the value. Another low cost option for them would be to repair the damage and paint them flat black until you can afford to have them proffessionly done. They can be veneered over the paint. In fact paint will seal the grain and enhance the bond with contact cement.

Whatever you do, enjoy the speakers, as they were meant to be enjoyed. I'm sure their prior owner would be happy knowing that these classics are being appreciated.

Rick

post-12829-13819250050216_thumb.jpg

My LS experience didn't come to fruition but it was such a deal that I'll pass it along anyway. A "friend" asks me to find him a pr of PA speakers for his church. He said that they would replace a pr of LS that were "too big" for the sanctuary and couldn't be wall mounted as he and the minister wanted. The deal was that I could trade the PAs for the LS - straight up. I found a pr of Community PA speakers and an amp for $150 and took them over to the church. My friend and he minister thought they were perfect but the minister wanted to try out the new speakers before letting go of the LS - fair enough. I didn't hear anything for a couple of weeks and eventually asked my friend for an update and he said that the LSs were gone and he thought I had picked them up. I suspect that that the minister or one of his croonies decided that they wanted the LS or more likely, that they could get some real $ for them and had taken them away. I never got the LSs nor found out where they ended up and I'm still out the $150. Oh well, it was a learning experience and besides, I wouldn't know where to put the LSs and how I could possibly get them by my better half. -Bryan