elvis costello weds diana krall...I kid you not!

sunnysal

Lord BigBusa... Quite the opinions. I have never heard anyone compare Elvis Costello to Weird Al Yankovic but this is the Klipsch Forum and I am beginning to realize that just about anything can be said, reason be damned.

Actually, the pairing is not as unusual as it might first appear.

I hope Elvis doesnt get bored...

kh

I just cant visualize them having sex----but then again there are a lot of couples that I feel way about (including my ex) Only kidding!! Diana Krall has a very pleasant voice but I think Patricia Barber outclasses her especially for vocal range......BUT, I like them both......

Patricia Barber surely sounds more contrived to me and I cant stomach her lyrics anymore, especially from her latest, which reminds me of a 21 year old sophomore English major thinking she just came up with something clever and meaningful that might just please her more esoteric friends (as well as the professor she had the crush on in Eng 205). The references are painful at times and the vocal gymnastics are enough to send your own head in hands.

Still, she gets lauded in review after review as a brilliant writer.

Her CDs are recorded pretty well, that is one thing. Cafe Blue always makes the "lets hear my system with track 7" award.

Compared to Krall, Barber sure tries more difficult phrasing. Unfortunately, it also SOUNDS LIKE SHE IS TRYING more difficult phrasing.

I give her some star points for sonics.

kh

I've wanted to try some Patricia Barber for awhile, but I can never find her music at a decent price (Yes, I am a tightwad). She gets lots of good write-ups, plus, I heard a tune of hers from "Verse" on DirecTV MusicChoice that I really liked. I can't recall the name, but the style reminded me of Holly Cole, whom I am nuts for.

I think EC is maybe the most under-appreciated pop/rock artist of the last 30 years. Many critical raves, but he never seems to be able to translate well to a mass audience. I have all of his original US releases plus the remastered versions that came out a few years ago.

Of course, his music will suck now that he's happy. The reviews of North are mixed. Sounds like "Juliet Letters" vol. II, eh?

----------------

On 12/11/2003 3:19:40 AM mobile homeless wrote:

Patricia Barber surely sounds more contrived to me and I cant stomach her lyrics anymore, especially from her latest, which reminds me of a 21 year old sophomore English major thinking she just came up with something clever and meaningful that might just please her more esoteric friends (as well as the professor she had the crush on in Eng 205).

kh

----------------

I don't know, but this sounds a bit like an autobiographical reference...

----------------

On 12/11/2003 3:19:40 AM mobile homeless wrote:

Patricia Barber surely sounds more contrived to me and I cant stomach her lyrics anymore, especially from her latest, which reminds me of a 21 year old sophomore English major thinking she just came up with something clever and meaningful that might just please her more esoteric friends (as well as the professor she had the crush on in Eng 205). The references are painful at times and the vocal gymnastics are enough to send your own head in hands.

Still, she gets lauded in review after review as a brilliant writer.

Her CDs are recorded pretty well, that is one thing. Cafe Blue always makes the "lets hear my system with track 7" award.

Compared to Krall, Barber sure tries more difficult phrasing. Unfortunately, it also SOUNDS LIKE SHE IS TRYING more difficult phrasing.

I give her some star points for sonics.

kh
----------------

Kelly,

Don't know if you've ever seen either artist live, but I've been lucky enough to see them both (PB twice). They are wonderful musicians and singers. However, they almost coudn't be more different in style. Patricia Barber is very dark in sort of a beatnik way and Dianna Krall is, imho, a musician first. I was lucky enough to meet PB the last time I saw her perform. A very interesting woman. Not bad to look at either. I love intelligent, six foot, raven haired girls with a great smile. Unfortunately, I don't think she goes for overweight, married, dull witted geeks like me. Not to mention she plays for the other team...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Speaking of beatnik...Can anyone name the person who coined the term?

Chris

----------------

On 12/11/2003 8:07:19 AM fini wrote:

Chris,

Would that be the late SF Chronicle columnist Herb Caen?
----------------

I was going to disqualify you and joshnich in advance, knowing it would be cherry picking for you guys. I really miss Herb Caen. We have nothing like him down here in Smell A. But, we do have "The Big Aristotle" and he's nearly as quotable. Only not quite in the same way.

Chris

Saw Krall recently in concert in a music hall designed to sound great wonderful concert; such precise musical and vocal phrasing! Saw Costello perform almost a cappella, only him and his acoustic guitar, at a charming seaside club in NH, but was disappointed. At the time I was more enamored with his rocking Watching the Detectives than I was with his crooning Allison. Patricia Barber is almost as good as Krall, in my opinion, but her recordings just dont have the almost tangible up-close and dramatic feel. Holly Cole is almost as good as Barber, but the one recording of hers seems cheaply recorded; kinda open, bare and raw.

who knows if it will last: marriages are works of compromise. First, men have to learn Venutian, then pateintly train women how to act Martian (since they will never learn the Martian language)!

2.gif

"I don't know, but this sounds a bit like an autobiographical reference..."

Wow. I feel privileged to absorb about the only perceived supremely pointed attack I've seen ole Fini leave. And I am not even a Republican! That will teach me to criticize ole PB. On the other hand, I'll stick with it.

On the live front, I have never seen either PB or Diana Krall. I do have almost all of Patricia Barber's CDs here and several from Diana Krall. Am I too hard on either? Maybe I am. Then again, when I put on something with what seems to be more realness and depth, I am reminded about the difference yet again.

A song like "I could eat your words" feels like it's trying far too hard. Part of it is a result of her delivery and phrasing which highlights lyrics like, "Philosophy engenders a rational man, Descartes would be the first to agree, syllogistically speaking, if A is you and B is me, logical proposition would lead us to C (see?)". Clever... I can barely listen to it, however.

I'll post some MP3's of Barber here. "I'll drink remorse like Cabernet...; Guilt like garlic needs to saute with cream, butter, and wine." Barber is no Beatnik. Or is she?

I need to make some eggs.

kh