B&W Nautilus 804's vs. Klipsch RF-7?

Klipsch RF7

Hi Guys,

What do you think about the B&W Nautilus 804 speakers? Ive heard they are a very nice speaker, with real cherry wood, and really nice tight bass and lots of detail and clarity. They are not horn driven but dynamic driven.

Have any of you guys heard the 804's in person? What do you think compared to the Klipsch RF-7?

Thanks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/25/2003 10:12:07 PM Georg Friedrich Handel wrote:

Hi Guys,

What do you think about the B&W Nautilus 804 speakers? Ive heard they are a very nice speaker, with real cherry wood, and really nice tight bass and lots of detail and clarity. They are not horn driven but dynamic driven.

Have any of you guys heard the 804's in person? What do you think compared to the Klipsch RF-7?

Thanks
----------------

Here we go again. Just do yourself a favor and pick up some used LaScala or Cornwalls. Like I have said over and over, you will not be dissapointed with either of them and your 299C. If you're still getting that.

Merry Chritmas!

Here we go again. Just do yourself a favor and pick up some used LaScala or Cornwalls. Like I have said over and over, you will not be dissapointed with either of them and your 299C. If you're still getting that.

Merry Chritmas!

----------------

The La Scallas and the Cornwalls are way to big for my room, i dont have room for them plus they look old as all heck14.gif

Why are you here? Nobody at this forum would even CONSIDER the 804. And if you are flipping back and forth between the 804 and the RF7 you obviously have NO IDEA what you want and have VERY LITTLE experience with hi-fi in general. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have you here but questions like these are pointless. It would be like going to the Shebly Mustang site and asking if you should get a Shelby or an Aston Martin and then asking what the difference is. Geeesh . . .get a grip!

Allan is correct.

You are asking the wrong people.

Size can be a priority.

Looks are a counterproductive priority.

PWK would say BS.

My mom liked my Chorus IIs with the 2 little Chrsitamas trees on them today.

Cute black little refridgerators. She even thinks they sound amazing and she is 68 years old.

B&W to me are so laid back you have to go searching for the individual instuments let alone their nuances of frets on guitars or reeds on woods.

Nice but i would be easily bored by them.

I ONLY liked the 803

the other B&W speakers i did not or thought were too high priced.

Consider auditioning cool stands, RB-5s, and a sealed sub. It fits in small places.

Otherwise go back to the RF-7.

Ultimately you have to take a chance and get it in your house for dozens of hours of listening.

The following parts of my sysytem were bought unheard...

Chorus II

MSB Link DAC

Scott LK-48

Prettty important components i had to hear for myself(for HOME auditioning for weeks of time); and now I will never sell either of them.

Audio Flynn said the B&Ws were articulate and laid back. From this, you managed to draw out "detailed and clearer sound".

I don't think I could put the word "articulate" to the 804's. However -- "laid back" is definitely appropriate. If you want "detailed and clearer sound", buy the RF-7s.

B&Ws are great sounding speakers if you enjoy sleeping while listening to your music.

You guys make good points, im going to have to go to Ultimate Electronics Saturday and buy a pair of RF-7's and audition them for a good 3 weeks and return them before the one month period to see how i like them. Ill of course pay full retail but im going to get my money back before the 30 day return period. 1.gif

Btw, how did you guys carry the RF-7's? They seem to be some mammoth speakers1.gif

----------------

On 12/25/2003 11:38:18 PM Georg Friedrich Handel wrote:

Merry Chritmas!

----------------

The La Scallas and the Cornwalls are way to big for my room, i dont have room for them plus they look old as all heck
14.gif

----------------

Say no more. I keep forgetting that you're only 24. Someday you'll realize how great the heritage speakers are. By that time they will likely be out of your price range and much harder to come by.

By the way, how is it that you say the CW and LAS are large? Compared to what? What do you consider the RF-7's then?

----------------

On 12/25/2003 11:43:50 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Why are you here? Nobody at this forum would even CONSIDER the 804. And if you are flipping back and forth between the 804 and the RF7 you obviously have NO IDEA what you want and have VERY LITTLE experience with hi-fi in general. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have you here but questions like these are pointless. It would be like going to the Shebly Mustang site and asking if you should get a Shelby or an Aston Martin and then asking what the difference is. Geeesh . . .get a grip!
----------------

Kudos Alan. I could not agree more.

Say no more. I keep forgetting that you're only 24. Someday you'll realize how great the heritage speakers are. By that time they will likely be out of your price range and much harder to come by.

By the way, do you consider the RF-7 a small speaker? lol

----------------

Well, lets put it this way. The Heritage speakers number one are way to wide to go in the corner of my room and the RF-7's are skinny enough to fit and second they dont have the new reference tweeters and cerametalic cones that the new RF-7 speakers have, they heritage might pump out alot more soundstage per say but i highly doubt they are even going to match the RF-7 reference tweeter in sound reproduction, clarity and detail. Im into classical where i want very nice detail and very nice piano, cello and strings reproduction and i really dont care about bass unless im watching a movie. The Heritage are just old technology speakers to me, im into the higher tech speaker materials and tweeters and the RF-7 seems to be the most logical choice. I know you guys love your Heritage and that is commendable9.gif

I agree with my fellow klipschers here. I have not heard the 804 but have heard their flagship the 800. This speaker was being powered by over 50 grand of electronics. The sound is indeed lame, laid back, lacks emotion and lacks any kind of power. The only area where it sort of comes close to the klipsch is in the dynamics but then again if you put that klipsch in that room hooked up to those exact same electronics the klipsch would embarrass the b&w. 2,200 vs. 20,000 go figure.

----------------

On 12/26/2003 12:44:14 AM Georg Friedrich Handel wrote:

By the way, do you consider the RF-7 a small speaker? lol

----------------

Well, lets put it this way. The Heritage speakers number one are way to wide to go in the corner of my room and the RF-7's are skinny enough to fit and second they dont have the new reference tweeters and cerametalic cones that the new RF-7 speakers have, they heritage might pump out alot more soundstage per say but i highly doubt they are even going to match the RF-7 reference tweeter in sound reproduction, clarity and detail. Im into classical where i want very nice detail and very nice piano, cello and strings reproduction and i really dont care about bass unless im watching a movie. The Heritage are just old technology speakers to me, im into the higher tech speaker materials and tweeters and the RF-7 seems to be the most logical choice. I know you guys love your Heritage and that is commendable
9.gif

----------------

OK Georg. Limitations are limitations size wise. I'll give you that. And as far as musical tastes, to each his own.

Don't get me wrong here. The RF-7 is a mighty fine speaker in it's own right. That I will not dispute. But please don't underestimate the Heritage loudspeakers. The "old technology speakers" comment is rather offensive to a Heritage owner. They were way ahead of their time and will easily outclass most if not all modern speakers in their price range. That is only my opinion however. You'd need to listen to them yourself. After all, they are your ears as most in the Forum would say.

No offense intended with my comments to you.

"and second they(The Heritage Line ) dont have the new reference tweeters and cerametalic cones that the new RF-7 speakers have, they heritage might pump out alot more soundstage per say but i highly doubt they are even going to match the RF-7 reference tweeter in sound reproduction, clarity and detail"

I am curious ....... Have you ever seriously listened to a Heritage Line speaker ? I used to have a pair of KLF 30's and they were wonderful indeed but my Khorns are far more detailed and transparant than the 30's ever were.

----------------

On 12/26/2003 12:44:14 AM Georg Friedrich Handel wrote:

Im into classical where i want very nice detail and very nice piano, cello and strings reproduction and i really dont care about bass unless im watching a movie.

----------------

That statement alone says you will probably like a mid - high freq horn based system over anything from B&W.

If you like the B&W sound though, I recommend Dynaudio instead. They have a more friendly profile for your size room, are easier to match electronics for the dynamic needs of orchestrated music and also have a better (IMO) price/performance. Regardless, expect to spend several times more dollars than what you spend on the speakers for electronics with these lower efficiency speakers to get the best from them.

And yes Georg - If you end up really digging three ways and horns it is hard to deviate from the heritage lines...