What is you favorite....

Stovebolt6

two actually 88.9, the local NPR affiliate.. excellent programming from Bach to Zappa.

The other is 93.3 because there's a DJ behind every selection... and Sunday/Monday they host a local music show... and Monday night Greg Martin (of the Kentucky Headhunters) hosts a killer blues show.

Death to ClearChannel!

forrest

95.7 "The Ride" here in Charlotte. Plays 60's 70's style Rock classics, but the fun stuff. CSNY, Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin. A great mix of music. But the beauty of it is they only do 5 minutes of advertising an hour, and they have no DJ's or morning shows. Just pure music the way it should be....

Bob

----------------

On 1/1/2004 1:18:25 PM Stovebolt6 wrote:

....radio station? and why?

----------------

Los Angeles Area local

1. KKJZ 88.1 (formerly KLON) - a wonderful listener sponsored jazz station with low compression

2. KCRW 89.9 - NPR affilate, I thought listening to it made me a liberal until one of my Jewish buddies referred to it as "National Palistine Radio". Go figure.

3. KUSC 91.5 - great listener sponsored classical station

4. KMZT 105.1 - very nice commercial classical station

5. ARROW 93.1 - commercial rockasaurus station, listen only when happen upon a "good" song

But the best damn radio station in the world imho is KPIG 107 "oink" 5 in Freedom, California (which is near Watsonville, which is near Salinas, which is near Santa Cruz, which is near San Jose, which is near San Francisco, California). I pay $5.99 per month for a RealPass just to hear it on the Internet. KPIG is a combination of Alt Country, Rockasaurus, Indie, Jazz, Blues, Bluegrass, social commentary and just about anything else they feel like playing. Even the commercials are somewhat entertaining. BTW, I was once told that KPIG was one of the most listened to radio stations on the entire Internet.

Chris

Definitely 95.7 The Ride out of Charlotte, NC. Very little advertising, about 90-95% of every hour is 60's, 70's and 80's Classic Rock. Every now and then they actually play something I've never heard before, which is unusual for any radio station. When they do play something I'm not familar with I jot down the time of day, come home and look it up on their website. They recently made Rolling Stones Mag, read about on their website.

Grateful

http://www.957theride.com/home.asp

1) University of VA. They play lots of Grateful Dead. I listen when visiting my uncle in Charlottsville.

2) Towson University in Baltimore is good also, 89.7 on the dial. They love female vocalists and have blues and jazz on the weekends.

3) WRNR, 103.1 in Annapolis is good, not like they were a couple years ago but still better than average. I guess you would call it progressive rock.

The rest is either classic rock you can hardly stomach anymore (same songs over and over) or today's horrible popular music. I didn't mind the grunge stuff of the early/mid 90s like Nirvana, Pearljam, STP, Soundgarden, etc. and some of today's better artists like John Mayer but I just can't stand most of today's popular stuff.

KRSH in Sonoma County is a good one. I got some good album recs from them for my wife for Christmas (Patty Griffin, "1000 Flowers" and Solas, "Sunny Spells and Scattered Showers"). Plus, they have nothing to do with Michael Savage!