What was the first record you played this year?

Allan Songer

----------------

On 1/3/2004 9:30:35 AM hwatkins wrote:

Well I played an album most would diss, but is one of my favorites -

Emerson, Lake and Powell - This one shot album is classic ELP with a replacement P....

----------------

It is a great lp. Being a huge ELP fan, it took me a while to warm up to this one. Nobody can replace the original "P" in that group though. Carl Palmer is the most underrated drummer in rock history (IMO).

Well, if we stick strictly to LPs, mine was Stanley Clarke's Journey to Love, though my copy has the hole not quite in the center and for some reason, makes my B&O play the last track at very high wow and flutter rate. So High, I bought a replacement belt with no new results. Guests on this LP include Jeff Beck, John McLaughlin and more.

As to other music, da Bruf has been getting a lot of earplay and mindplay lately.

B00005YUBU.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The DVD version of Footloose in NYC...just fabulous jazz and of course, fabulous playing from all these fine musicians. But Bruford's drumming still drops my jaw to the ground

6.gif

Emerson, Lake and Powell - This one shot album is classic ELP with a replacement P....

No dismissal here! That is a good album, and I don't necesarily miss Palmer. Though he is good, and fits in, I don't think this album is missing anything.

As to their earlier material, there is a huge difference in the mastering between the CD and LP as I have noticed on Trilogy, which is one of my favorite ELP albums. I have not listened to it for a long time, and that's because of the harsh recording on CD. The vinyl version is smooth and really brings you into the music.

Was the Emerson Lake and Powell on CD or Vinyl? I have the CD version only.

----------------

On 1/3/2004 4:08:58 PM AndyKubicki wrote:

No dismissal here! That is a good album, and I don't necesarily miss Palmer. Though he is good, and fits in, I don't think this album is missing anything.

As to their earlier material, there is a huge difference in the mastering between the CD and LP as I have noticed on Trilogy, which is one of my favorite ELP albums. I have not listened to it for a long time, and that's because of the harsh recording on CD. The vinyl version is smooth and really brings you into the music.

Was the Emerson Lake and Powell on CD or Vinyl? I have the CD version only.

----------------

Andy,

Trilogy is one of my all-time favorite lps. I have at least 3 copies plus the cd (I agree it's too harsh). I saw them in '78 (I think) at Univ. of MD and they played the whole lp. Maybe the best concert I ever attended.

I think I have a copy of EL & Powell on lp somewhere. Now I'll have to search for it. If there are any ELP lps you don't have, I ran into a slew of them at the library at 50 cents each and stocked up. I'd be happy to send you one if you're missing any. The only one I don't have an extra of is Brain Salad Surgery. That, Trilogy and their 1st lp are my favs.

I haven't played a whole album yet on my newly-isolated Kenwood, but I started off with a Tony Rice LP, then tried some newly aquired ($.69 each) LPs: The Canadian Brass, "High, Light, Bright and Clear"; George Shearing/Nancy Wilson, "The Swingin's Mutual!"; The Horace Silver Quintet, "You Gotta Take A Little Love". I may have a bit more of an opportunity to crank it up, when the kids go back to school tomorrow...

1st record this year for me was Ramona (Wayne Gilbert) The Gaylords featuring Ronnie Vincent, it's a Mercury 78 speed with identification #'s (ASCAP), YB 9437, 70112. I used it to check out my new (to me) Silvertone portable record player, chassis # C817-30332, Catalogue # 17514. It only has 3 Fleetwood tubes and has separate volume control for right and left speakers. Sounded great, LOL 1.gif. It looks like this stereo was really well looked after, it still looks new. Anyone have any idea how old it may be?

Trilogy is one of my all-time favorite lps. I have at least 3 copies plus the cd (I agree it's too harsh). I saw them in '78 (I think) at Univ. of MD and they played the whole lp. Maybe the best concert I ever attended.

I think I have a copy of EL & Powell on lp somewhere. Now I'll have to search for it. If there are any ELP lps you don't have, I ran into a slew of them at the library at 50 cents each and stocked up. I'd be happy to send you one if you're missing any. The only one I don't have an extra of is Brain Salad Surgery. That, Trilogy and their 1st lp are my favs.

That's very nice of you Gary! I too must say that Trilogy ranks way up there for me...that piano and melody! I need to take inventory and then see what condition they are in, but I have made a newer discovery, see my "It's in the mix" post..