What was the first record you played this year?

Allan Songer

I didn't even make it 'till midnight last night, but at 8:30 this morning over a cup of Peet's coffee and a bowl of strawberries (from Chris King--thanks buddy, they were PERFECT!) I listened to this:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005AVE2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Herbie Nichols, a helluva a way to ring in the new year!

I played my almost brand new original copy of "Rubber Soul" this morning. My favorite Beatles lp. I just got it Wednesday.

BTW - Not nearly as much breath intake by John on "Girl" compared to the cd. They really changed the recording. The lp is so much better.

My first album of 2004 was Woody Herman & The Herd "Jazz Hoot" which I played for my father in law. When he comes over for dinner he rarely lingers for more than an hour. Today he sat rapt by the Khorns for four hours as I played album after album for him.

Rick

Well I was the Mad Scientist in the shop most of New Years eve and today. I listened various music and rewiring my Scott 208 power amp with a choke and beefed up power supply , new output tubes EL34/6AC7 or 6L6/5881, full bias control and all associated circuit tweaks. This was a major improvement over 7591's . I did this for my livingroom system using RF3's my source really sucks in there except for DVD so I just watched this awesome live DVD in 2 channel and it was great. I sure wish he had the set list worked out like this when I seen this tour earlier last year ! There is nothing like Bruce and the E street band live front and center !

barcelona_long.jpg

Made it to midnight for the first time in a few years. Big mistake. At 7:00am the next morning (thank you 9yo son) it was a handful of Advil, an XL n/f Latte (also Peet's) and 2 hours of classical music. Then I put on "Teddy's Ready" in honor of the Jazz Sensei. Thanks Allan, it's a fantastic record.

All the best in '04,

Chris

PS Who wants a piece of USC now? Trojans are #1!!!

Hey Chris--really enjoyed having you over to the house spinning some jazz, etc. I ordered the Roach/Terry and Ray Brown LPs yesterday! Also, I was getting ready to list some LPs on ebay and found I have a MINT blue-label "Song For My Father"--it's yours next time I see you. It was so cool to play this for you "for the first time"--Joe Henderson's solo on this cut is one of the greatest moments in straight-ahead jazz.