Rosewood Khorns For Sale

greg928gts

Thanks Greg!

I know what you mean about the backing. Fortunately in my case, the backing and the Cherry face are almost identical in color. But at the thickness of this veneer(22.2 mil BFV)I am still very concerned about the edgeline. I am going to veneer a sample piece and finish it as I will be finishing the Corns. If I do not see a nice grain transition from bottom to sides to top, I will have no problem s@#tcanning this sheet(4x12 @ $2.00+ per sq. ft., ouch)and ordering raw. I am not going to put in the time and effort on these cabinets that I am, only to have them turn out anything short of absolutely perfect. Also, you are right about the face thickness. I am going to have to take extra care in handling the veneer so that any sanding that has to be done prior to finish will be minimal.

The sad part of this thing is that these '81 Cornwall's are finished COL with cane , but the cabinet surfaces were so screwed up(I cannot believe someone would treat these with such disregard)that they could only be salvaged by veneering. In the past, I have just built new cabinets(mostly Heresy)but decided to patch these cabinets and veneer them.

I'll let you know how it goes and thanks again for the input.

Best Regards!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since I heard those Klipschorns at Chris Robinson's place (with a 2A3 SET amp...) their sound have haunted me. The proximity of these to my place made that an opportunity I couldn't pass.

So, I'm the swine...

Thanks to Chris who lead me to this!

Thanks to Kelly who's advice I took (the said advice being "buy a speaker with soul").

Well, the smart thing is you are able to keep the Lamhorns for now as well. I will say the Lamhorns are VERY resolving and extremely live sounding. Since they have ZERO crossover, as in NONE, nada, nix, they sound extremely DIRECT and immediate. I was VERY impressed with the Lamhorns but I still think they wwere missing some of the soul and character of something like the Cornwalls. This place seems to dislike words like soul or character when used to decribe audio saying it's not accurate etc. This has nothing to do with accuracy. What I mean by those words can be compared to hearing a wood instrument that grips you and is more involving. Some pieces place the music out there while you feel removed. I dont think the Lamhorns did this but they did not draw you into the music like the Heritage Klipsch when at their best. When you hear a quality instrument being played you know. I actually think that speakers are instruments too. This accuracy goal is actually not the most important to me although at one time I thought so. These big wooden beasts are capable of great things when pushed by good stuff.

Of course, I would be lying if I said I wouldnt want a pair of Lamhorns to have around too. But I thought Jeff would really dig the Khorns or even the CW. I have been bugging him to try to find something of this ilk for quite awhile, actually since I carried these things up the stairs and fired the beasts up. I'm glad he found a pair. I will be heading up his way soon to hear all our gear making some music.

kh

----------------

On 1/20/2004 11:33:44 PM painful reality wrote:

It will be fun to compare both speakers. In an ideal world I'll be able to keep both of them. But the Lamhorns aren't small speakers you can tuck under the bed. They could be a nice way to have music in my workshop though. They are a pretty incredible match with the Eico HF81.

----------------

Let me know if you want to find a new home for them there lamhorns, but i'll olny take them if the tenors come to. I just hate breaking up a family.

PR,

I know you'll be happy with the finish as I am with the heresys. We all know the sound will be fantastic. They'll be a beautiful addition to your home. Congrats and enjoy!

Lots of pictures will be required. Greg works extremely fast so I know you'll be enjoying them real soon.1.gif