2A3 amp for Khorns

Brap

Well, I will grant you that the times I have heard low-powered SET, I have been astonished.

What about when the mood and emotion can only be brought out by a recording of a full orchestra played at convincing volume, the recording with a 50dB dynamic range, say?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kelly,

At least we have some progress. Mr Parrot admits to;

I have *zero* desire in owning a low-watt amp, absolutely. Some of them are nice-looking though, and their construction is interesting.

I also have *zero* belief that low-powered SET amps have any magical qualities not found in quality amps of other topologies.

Now if he'll only admit to;

*zero* knowledge or extended experience with SET amps BEFORE making a post, his ramblings about SET amps can be appropriately discounted to their true value(NONE).

Klipsch out.

12.gif

----------------

On 1/16/2004 7:51:53 PM jazman wrote:

Kelly,

At least we have some progress. Mr Parrot admits to;

I have *zero* desire in owning a low-watt amp, absolutely. Some of them are nice-looking though, and their construction is interesting.

I also have *zero* belief that low-powered SET amps have any magical qualities not found in quality amps of other topologies.

Now if he'll only admit to;

*zero* knowledge or extended experience with SET amps BEFORE making a post, his ramblings about SET amps can be aprropriately discounted to their true value(NONE).

Klipsch out.

12.gif
----------------

Personal attacks are not warranted here, Mr. Jazman. We were trying to have a discussion about amplifiers.

Kelly,

For some reason, it seems someone has read my post addressed to you as some type of "personal attack". How can truth be a personal attack? Oh well, WTHDIK?? I'm off to get some dinner and enjoy some music. How about the less than dynamics strings of Dave Holland's bass, John Scofield's guitar, Al Foster's drums and the certainly non dynamic saxophone of Joe Henderson on the Verve CD "so near, so far". 12.gif

Klipsch out.

Kelly:

I will readily admit, as I hope you also would, that I have gotten caught up in the often confrontational nature of this forum. Most of us have at one point or another. If acceptable to you, I would rather not bring up email related to forum discussion.

We were just again reminded to watch personal attacks by our moderator, and I was seeing this particular thread beginning to head down an all-too-trodden track. That's all.

Sure, you're welcome.

It isn't just a matter of perspective, but one of circumstance and position. You look at your room, think about the music you like, and what you like to do with it, and make a decision that you think will make you happy. Sometimes it's hit and miss, but you eventually settle in with something that brings a smile to your face. My advice is just to try a couple of things and see what personally pulls you into the music you like.

Is SET more transparent than some other things? It must be, because a lot people seem to feel this way, and it is unreasonable to believe that all of these people are wrong and out of touch somehow. I accept that some of these amps must be very musical and engaging -- even though I've never heard one. Yes, I did have the high powered SET Apollos, and Kelly is right -- I REALLY liked them. My only complaint was that even at 18 wpc, things would fall apart very quickly when I tried to take my listening session from an "experience", to an "EVENT". I've learned that my sessions always start slow, but before hour's end -- I've lost all semblance of civility.

Craig and me have talked at length often about getting a tube, or the amp into its "sweet spot", and how much this might relate to the phenomena with SET amps. I think these amps just open up faster, where push-pull does need more to do the same. There is a point on my volume control where everything just seems to come together, and that point is probably louder than many others enjoy listening. I don't think 85 to 90 db is "loud", but it's certainly much louder than "conversational" level. At any rate, at this "coming together" point in the presentation, it's just VERY hard for me to accept that any experienced SET listener would deny that it's everything a SET amp is when it's in its "sweet spot".

We should find the "hot" threads, bookmark them, and point new members to them. I think this is better than going over this same territory over and over again.

Bez 300b_21.jpg

I'm still awaiting the arrival of the BEZ Model T3B Class A 300B SE stereo power amp. It's only 8 WPC, but for only $550, I think it's worth exploring what this type of amp can do for my Cornwalls.

I've never owned a tube amp before, and I could've chosen a vintage Scott or Dynaco, a new JoLida or Ideal Innovations, or a 3.5 watt Decware Zen. I have no problems with either PP or SET configurations, or megawatt Manley and McIntosh tube amps. I still love my solid-state MC250, along with all the past SS amps from Mac, Carver, and SAE, and even my dad's vintage 115 WPC Technics integrated amp! I won't preach on what topology is better than another, and I won't get mixed into any arguements pertaining to this vs. that!

All I can say to Brad is try out what interests you. Try either a 40 watt PP integrated or flea-powered 2A3 monoblocks, whatever appeals to you, your system configuration, and your musical tastes. I personally like classical pipe organ recordings played close to near-live levels (in excess of 100dB), and I realize through the opinions of others here that my yet-to-arrive 300B power amp may fall short in my expectations. But then again, I may just love what this amplifier will do for my music played through my Cornwalls! I will not tell you what you should get, just continue to read the research and opinions of others, form your own ideas, and go for your gut reaction! My brother recently sold his 6 month old JoLida JD 202a EL34-based integrated for a new Adcom GFA-5400 MOSFET power amp...go figure, tube maintenance wasn't appealing to him anymore (and I never knocked his preferences, and his system still sounds fantastic)!

post-11084-13819251473604_thumb.jpg

LOL...He didn't care too much for adjusting the bias underneath the chassis every time he rolled in a different batch of quad EL34s (had the stock Chinese/JoLida, Electro Harmonix, Valve Art, and a NOS pair of GE EL34s). One of the original Chinese tube's bias was offset after he rerolled for comparison, and started glowing red! He immediately shut the amp off, and was totally discouraged and lost interest ever since...his heart just wasn't in it. He loves the Adcom...no fiddling around with tube rolling, bias adjustmenting, or tube wear. Oh well...

The Eustacian Tube really cracked me up, considering all the other things I have been reading on this post.

Jimminy-Christmas!! I didn't mean to start the war between the North and South again!

I will try and publish some facts:

1) I am a newbie

2) I want to have a nice 2 channel room utilizing my Khorns and making them sound like they should.

3) The only "fluid that has filled their veins" have been from Carver M1.5 and C-1.

4) As seen, there is a variety of music -- smooth Coltrane, classical Mozart, LOUD Daltry and Doobies.

5) Am not knowledgeable enough to discuss the PP vs SET, I just want the Khorns to amaze me, like I've read here.

6) Reading all this and understanding I will be needing some extra thump on occasion (when mama's gone and the brother-in-laws are over extolling their Krell and B&W speakers) I beleive I should look at the WAD 6550, LadyDay+ or Ella

7) For the time being, I will HAVE to use my Carver C-1 pre-amp.

Thanks for all the bantor above and I look forward to comments to this post.

Maybe a new thread should start?

Brap

Brad,

The WAD is made by a British firm, so you'd have to check to see if they offer a 110 volt version. The LadyDay+ doesn't have enough watts (9) to satisfy you. It doesn't matter that the Klipschorn is an incredibly efficient speaker; even so the company recommends 20 watts minimum for amplification. Since you're interested in a kit and are taken by the Ella, go for it. 40 watts is going to give you more power than you'll ever use, and that's the position to be in, rather than with an amp that can't deliver any oomph when you need it.

Don't be concerned about the arguing. Other people go on the same way about crockpots, as if their life depended on it.

Regarding the Carver Pre-amp. If that is the Pre-amp with on-board tuner, I had one home about 6-7 years ago for a few days demoing it from a stereo shop closeout in town. If this is the same animal that I had, your biggest improvement will be to get another pre-amp.

I understand that you are saying you HAVE to keep it for now, but if it's the piece of gear that I tried out, It was absolutely the most constrained and lifeless pre-amp that I have heard in over 30 years in audio. So if it is, target that baby for replacement as soon as you can. Plenty of good recommendations on this site for $500-$1000.