'Stop the personal attakcs..."

DTLongo

Apparently Webmaster posts can't be replied to directly, so I am doing so here.

Stick to your guns, Klipsch. A few days ago a claimed 13-year-old posted that he/she thought the poster was the youngest owner of Klipsch legacy-quality speakers that had come the person's way. There was nothing in the post to indicate the writer was other than claimed, a young audiophile. Yet, the first reply blared that the poster was just tooting his or her own horn.

Well. As around that age myself in 1955 when I began to get into this hobby (and hardly with quality Klipsch speakers!), that reply left me cold.

An acquaintance of mine who very frequently posts on this board told me recently his wife is concerned that he does so because of the Internet apes out there. I told him I don't think that's the case with this board, thanks both to the esoteric subject matter, but also to Klipsch's monitoring. Keep up the good work, Klipsch.

That acquiantance I assume is me. It's true my wife is concerned that internet forums will draw some bad folks who are only out to get the better of you, so to speak. I have not found that to be the case here. I've made many friends and had quite a few in my home. I too applaud Klipsch for their fine site and monitoring closely (but not too).

I feel we can disagree like adults (agree to disagree) although not all of us are adults yet and limit personal attacks even better than we are now. As far as forums go, we probably do this better than any other out there.

BTW - Tom's khorns rock!

An acquaintance of mine who very frequently posts on this board told me recently his wife is concerned that he does so because of the Internet apes out there.

==================================================================

I assure you as long as I have been here there is no one, none, nada, men looking for little boys or girls on here. I would not approve, and would be first to report it at once to Klipsch. Other than a few men pehaps wanting more, or spending too much time on here instead of being with spouces...LOL Well, some are guilty..LOL. But that is also human nature!!

So relax. Your son is in good care on this board. For the most part a bunch of "Audio Nerds" (myself included) looking for sound nirvana.

----------------

On 1/16/2004 8:25:54 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

An acquaintance of mine who very frequently posts on this board told me recently his wife is concerned that he does so because of the Internet apes out there.

==================================================================

I assure you as long as I have been here there is no one, none, nada, men looking for little boys or girls on here. I would not approve, and would be first to report it at once to Klipsch. Other than a few men pehaps wanting more, or spending too much time on here instead of being with spouces...LOL Well, some are guilty..LOL. But that is also human nature!!

So relax. Your son is in good care on this board. For the most part a bunch of "Audio Nerds" (myself included) looking for sound nirvana.

----------------

My point exactly.

BTW - Who's son are you speaking of or is it a generalization?

I agree that Klipsch' webmaster is doing the correct thing with stepping on personal attacks.

On the other hand, it seems to me that if anyone is scouting for boys it is not going to look like a personal attack . . . in language. I don't know how it works but it would probably be favorable comments. So bad is good and good is bad. Now we have a standard. Smile.

Now I'll admit that ordinary activities can look suspicious if you have all antenna out. I'd say it is paranoia except it is founded on the protective instincts of parents. It is true that there are preditors out there. We see it in court records and newspapers.

Some of our activities could be misjudged.

For example a few years ago some of us were invited to Hope to tour the factory and meet with Mr. Paul and Ms. Valerie. There, one of us (John A.) recounted informing his daughter of this plan. She commented: "But daddy, you're going far away to meet with people you only know on the Internet; you told me that is very dangerous and never to do that."

We had a similar meeting at Indy last year. They gave out some favors which were a nice packet of a tee shirt, BS button, and a Klipsch pen. I (ahem) took a spare. This caused me some guilt. But when Bill H. and I met I gave him one. Then I sent the other to Smilen as a holiday present.

Now. That could look very odd if you don't know the people. Why is this guy giving out free stuff to Internet buddies? Check out myself. I live very close to where John Wayne Gacey used to cruise. Alarms could go off. Any overcautious Internet suspicious mom might pull the plug on the computer.

Naturally, I believe everything here is above board. We're just nerds hanging out.

Gil

My 16 year old daughter thought it was very strange that I was spending the night at a guy's house who I met over the internet. This of course was Tom Longo's the other night when I dropped my son off at school which is 2 1/2 hours from home. Tom is 20 minutes from his school. We had some serious auditioning to do and my wife and I had already met Tom last summer so she didn't mind at all.

There was nothing I could say to keep my daughter from thinking it was "weird" after all the warnings we've given her over the years. We did have a great visit and discovered that neither of us are axe murderers.2.gif

That is alright I had a Glock in my pocket 2.gif I have most likely personally met more members of this board then anyone. I know I have had phone converstions with near 100 members maybe more. They all seem like normal Joe's to me ! Well except for Dean he is a axe murderer ! He was probably going to try and kill Paul and I until he seen how large a figure of a man I am 11.gif. This place for the most part is a wonderful hang out. Its a shame that we do get in spats now and then but don't all families ? It was however very much out of habd just before the holiday's and I'm afraid it may end up right back there. What a wonderful few weeks we had.

Craig

Well, I agree that the Klipsch moderators do a good job on the board. They even go beyond that. Some weeks ago there was a thread where the moderators did some research in archived Klipsch records and helped resolve a forum member's issues with a rather fuzzy Ebay item. That is way beyond anything I've seen before, it actually cost Klipsch some hours to check out and for an old piece of equipment. That earned a heck of alot of good will with me.

I'd hope if there should be any untoward activity, it would be noticed quickly. I haven't picked up on it for sure. There is some occasional mentoring. I think some folks would pick up on it. The fact that a concern has been raised is all the more reason for folks to be aware. It needn't be taken personally. The internet, after all, can be a surprisingly dangerous place. The Klipsch Forum would be a pretty unlikely place to find such, but hey, I keep my car locked, even in a safe place. Never hurts to be aware.

Guest Anonymous

I can definatly relate to all being said, I have asked my daughter and wife to get out of the house next weekend so I can entertain guests for a Klipsch get together who I have had onlly internet or internet and phone contact. Gil came over within the first couple weeks I was on the forum(thanks for the gift) and after he came by I personnaly felt a lot better. Now on the other hand my wife and daughter think I am nutz(and I probably am)but I really feel that for the most part like gil said, we are "geek" audiophiles and I hate to admit mostly(MIDDLE AGE6.gif )professionals who found a harmlessly fun hobby.

Yes we hear horror stories about people you meet from the web, but I really belive the Klipsch site is a safe place, for the most part. Klipsh moderators have been unbelievably wonderful to me, Trey Cannon I am so thankful to you! I want to tell you how much over and above this man has gone for me. Yes I was the individual with the ebay issue, trey went into archives and researched the serial # of the corn's I had bid on to see if there was any possibilty of error for dating and manufacture of the speakers(there turns out to be none). Thats not all, on my 67 vert's the woofer had a large dust cap, uncommon for the vintage, trey again took his time to look up the woofer from the photo Craig posted for me, and know I have a smile all over my face!!9.gif

I would like to thank Klipsch and The top shelve moderators on this forum for providing all Klipsch lovers an opportunity to communicate with each other and have actual back up from the ownership of the company.

Thanks to all forum members cause you da bomb!!

12.gif Smilin11.gif

Bejesus!

I never even contemplated that this might be a location for people to cruise for paedaphilic reasons. What a horrible thought!

As for not knowing who people really are - sadly - that applies to real life as well. There are many examples of men being multiple murderers / rapists W.H.Y. and their spouses being completely in the dark.

Frankly I wonder if we can really say we know anyone other than ourselves - and even there you can have surprises. How often have you heard the phrase "I didnt know I had it in me."

Looking at this on a bright winters morning like today's I dont really think this is a likely place for paedaphiles and the like to hang out. I think they are more drawn to chat rooms for teenagers.

Very few people, in my experience, are sexually drawn to a bunch of balding, spreading, middle aged guys who are anally retentive over all things audio and find excitement and fullfilment comparing one tube amp topology with another.

Face it guys - we are geeks without any of the saving graces of geeks (as in, for example, youth).

----------------

On 1/17/2004 1:52:41 AM maxg wrote:

Very few people, in my experience, are sexually drawn to a bunch of balding, spreading, middle aged guys who are anally retentive over all things audio and find excitement and fullfilment comparing one tube amp topology with another.

----------------

[/blockquote>

Whoa right there, Max! You're beginning to pop my fantasy bubble. I've had this feeling for months that "Baby Spice" has been stalking me here on the forum...

"Very few people, in my experience, are sexually drawn to a bunch of balding, spreading, middle aged guys who are anally retentive over all things audio and find excitement and fullfilment comparing one tube amp topology with another."

I agree, but what does that have to do with us?9.gif

Is "predators" the issue with the forum monitor? I thought it was posted after I had some innocent fun with a post by GFH regarding his what I thought to be feigned confusion about preamps. (I still think GFH is a put-on, but I could really be wrong about this. Perhaps if Craig is really overhauling a Scott for him, he could correct me. But correct me kindly, okay? No personal attacks.2.gif )

----------------

On 1/16/2004 10:14:44 PM DeanG wrote:

When I went to Mansfield to meet Paul and Craig, I in fact did have an axe in my backseat. There's only one way to deal with potential axe murderers. Once arriving, I decided I could just as well keep them at bay with Mudvayne.
9.gif
----------------

Mansfield? Small world. A good friend of mine used to run The Den downtown. He lived there for a couple years, and I'd visit often. Friendly little town, for the most part.