Speaker Break In???

music guy

Since I bought my RF 35's on Dec. 29th, I have been reading and learning from this forum. I have heard the term, speaker break in. What is it? I think I my speakers are "breaking in". They seem so much warmer, richer than before. I love em!

I have em bi-wired with Monster Z2 wires. Play mostly CD'S through my Denon DCM 380 and a Denon DRA 685 receiver.1.gif

Bob

Hi Bob1.gif

This is what i have been doing for the past 3 days and it has worked wonders, LeoK suggested blasting pink noise through the speakers for 8-10 hours a day for a few days and that breaks them in fully instead of taking months and months of normal listening.

I downloaded program called Adobe Audition for free off the internet on Adobe's website and inside the program you can edit music and what not, you can select diffrent filters and effects. I just went in and chose Pink noise and set the intensity and hit loop play and set my reciever to blast it continously when i left in the morning at work and turned it off when i got home 10 hours later.

You can set the tuner between channels and get that static which is pink noise and that will work also if your sound card isnt hooked to your reciever like mine is.

• 4 years later...

I never beleived in speaker break-ins till recently. I am having RF 82's and it sounded harsh at higher dbl's. After almost one month use i suddenly perceived a drastic change in the quality of sound. i would put it as a kind of sound reduction similar to the Dolby thing with superb highs and lows, though i was using Mp3's (PCM). Earlier, i couldnt even raise the volume above -16db due to ear piercing sounds and had to cut down upto -26db to feel good to the ears and ofcourse with poor bass. But now i could start with -6 to -4db range. At first i thought my ears got break in! and was so astonished that i even inspected all speakers whether all of 'em are still working. Above -3 db still sounds harsh but i hope it will also change if this can happen. [:)]

• Like 1

I'll jump in on this fresh post with my typical relevance [:^)]

I heard a conversation with RoyBoy one day regarding this. If memory serves me, I think he said he runs a certain number of volts through his speakers (pink noise??) for maybe an hour and he considers them broken in. It might have been 3 hours but the main point was, it didn't take 100 hours to break in if you did it his way. I guess if you put .0000003827409237629 volts through the speaker, it might take 100 hours longer than if you used more power up front? (and how do people time how many hours they log on their speakers? I know my Jubilees only have 945.023827639262937640 hours on them because I always use a stopwatch [:o])

I've noticed it before on a pair of recapped Cornwalls. After a few days, they sounded different, better, not as harsh, etc. The caps were/ are Sonicaps. Never occurred again. Same thing with a pair of Heresys before recapping (they had the original Aerovox "cans"). When I got them, they sounded really terrible for about the first 24 hours. I just left them on all day in the workshop with a small FM radio providing some input voltage, and when I went back the next day, they sounded ok. I changed the caps anyways, so.... the question is why would this occur. In the case of the Heresy's it was not in my mind, it was really evident. Is there something about caps and how they are made? Materials? Designs? Amount of voltage initially applied when new? Or... possibly some caps in question are actually defective in some way that was not detected when manufactured, and display this characteristic when having sat for a while (say a weeks or months) before use?

Just a thought. Maybe BEC has some insight?

Marshall said "Just a thought. Maybe BEC has some insight?"

I do, but you may not want to hear it. It is all in the mind.

To elaborate, new good caps have the right value of capacitance and very low ESR. ESR is a measurement of all the bad characteristics of a cap, that is, all the things that a cap can do other than just contribute capacitance to the circuit. If we have a cap that has the correct value of capacitance and ESR so low as to be essentially unmeasurable we have a good cap. Any change in anything at all in that cap would send it in the direction of being a bad cap. Let's hope all good high quality caps stay exactly as they are when new for many years. If they don't stay the way they were when new for many years, they are bad caps.

Bob Crites